• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Down, Sales, current stable of IP, and Where Capcom Goes from Here

Because Yoko Taro himself said that they didn't even had enough budget to make any DLC for the game. .
We still don't know the budget, very rare do we know what any game actually cost to produce and before you start jumping into fanboy and condescending mode. I never made out Yakuza or Nier didn't sell, I've been a fan of SEGA since 85 and a big clue is in my name; I've loved everything the Panzer Dragoon team did both at their stint on the Saturn and then while at Smilebit and then joining with AV, Kikuchi-san is the best producer anywhere in Japan and I've been a fan of the series since the very 1st PS2 game (Yakuza 2 is my fave of the entire series).

All I'm saying is that it's never really pushed on in terms of sales No single Yakuza title sold better than Shenmue 1 which is a shame for series that really should be selling more than a million units each title, each Yakuza title takes hundreds of SEGA staff. That's totally different to saying the game is rubbish and a flop.

You know the Panzer team could say JSRF was niche it used a small team and was made in less than 14 months and didn't take a lot of money to produce It still sold poor and that costs the team the fans any hope of a sequel.

They don't need to sell 1 million copies to be profitable, since the RGG studio members are masters of reusing assets and working on a budget. In the past 12 years since the series was first created, SEGA has released 13 mainline and spin-off Yakuza/RGG games, and is planning to release 2 more next year. You don't release 13 games over the course of 12 years (15 in 13 years), if you are not making profit.

Again never said otherwise, but the yearly sequels are part of the reason why the game is getting a little stale witch each game looking and playing very much the same so you have to refuse so many assets and mode rather than be able to protype and test out new ones. I would like to see the team given 2 to years 3 to make each new entry. It's getting a lot like COD or Assassin's Creed when each new games feels pretty much like the last one. Read that doesn't mean they are terrible games as I also enjoy all the AC and COD games too. They all keep getting sequels, yet people still point out COD sales compared to the last, it's the double standards that get me; Capcoms already said RE7 covered its costs, you think Capcom not going to make RE8?. RE7 sold right up there with the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn a game that it's self used hundreds of staff was in development for years and that's a stunning success, while RE 7 isn't?. Like I said DR 4 I get but I really don't see how anyone can make out that RE7 hasn't sold well and made Capcom money myself.

leroidys

We still don't know the budget, very rare do we know what any game actually cost to produce and before you start jumping into fanboy and condescending mode. I never made out Yakuza or Nier didn't sell, I've been a fan of SEGA since 85 and a big clue is in my name; I've loved everything the Panzer Dragoon team did both at their stint on the Saturn and then while at Smilebit and then joining with AV, Kikuchi-san is the best producer anywhere in Japan and I've been a fan of the series since the very 1st PS2 game (Yakuza 2 is my fave of the entire series).

All I'm saying is that it's never really pushed on in terms of sales No single Yakuza title sold better than Shenmue 1 which is a shame for series that really should be selling more than a million units each title, each Yakuza title takes hundreds of SEGA staff. That's totally different to saying the game is rubbish and a flop.

You know the Panzer team could say JSRF was niche it used a small team and was made in less than 14 months and didn't take a lot of money to produce It still sold poor and that costs the team the fans any hope of a sequel.

Again never said otherwise, but the yearly sequels are part of the reason why the game is getting a little stale witch each game looking and playing very much the same so you have to refuse so many assets and mode rather than be able to protype and test out new ones. I would like to see the team given 2 to years 3 to make each new entry. It's getting a lot like COD or Assassin's Creed when each new games feels pretty much like the last one. Read that doesn't mean they are terrible games as I also enjoy all the AC and COD games too. They all keep getting sequels, yet people still point out COD sales compared to the last, it's the double standards that get me; Capcoms already said RE7 covered its costs, you think Capcom not going to make RE8?. RE7 sold right up there with the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn a game that it's self used hundreds of staff was in development for years and that's a stunning success, while RE 7 isn't?. Like I said DR 4 I get but I really don't see how anyone can make out that RE7 hasn't sold well and made Capcom money myself.
I think part of the issue is that Japanese companies tend to give aspirational sales projections, rather than realistic ones, as they don't want to appear that they're playing it to safe or not giving it their all. One of my friends that works for the American branch of a Japanese publisher complains about this all the time. It's definitely not unique to Capcom, but people act like it is just to shit on the company.

It's definitely not unique to Capcom, but people act like it is just to shit on the company.

Like I said it's cool to poo on Capcom, Sonic Team and Call Of Duty. Not only has RE7 sold fantastic its also a fab game and got the series back on track. I don't get the Capcom bashing they're a good corp with good games.

Jawmuncher

Like I said it's cool to poo on Capcom, Sonic Team and Call Of Duty. Not only has RE7 sold fantastic its also a fab game and got the series back on track. I don't get the Capcom bashing they're a good corp with good games.

Nah it's pretty understandable. 1 "good" game doesn't magically fix them from.

Presentation problems in MvC:I
The SFV launch
Poor handling of their IP library
And other such oddities

Capcom deserves about 90% of the shit they get and this is coming from someone still buying most of their titles day one.

Nah it's pretty understandable. 1 "good" game doesn't magically fix them from.

Presentation problems in MvC:I
The SFV launch
Poor handling of their IP library
And other such oddities

Capcom deserves about 90% of the shit they get and this is coming from someone still buying most of their titles day one.

Please, so many corps handle their IP poorly like Nintendo, Microsoft and not least SEGA so lets not even go down that road. SF V is a bloody good Vs fighter so I didn't get what the whole fuss was about myself I haven't played MvC but how much is that down to issues with Marvel these days.

RE 7 is not only the best game this gen for me, it's also the best in the series and hands down the best Sony VR game I've played. Monster Hunter has been brilliant on the 3DS, Monster World looks utterly fantastic and I also Capcom have done a great job with its High Def remasters on the PS4 and One. So no sorry they don't deliver the pathetic and childish name calling they get imo.

Jawmuncher

Please, so many corps handle their IP poorly like Nintendo, Microsoft and not least SEGA so lets not even go down that road. SF V is a bloody good Vs fighter so I didn't get what the whole fuss was about myself I haven't played MvC but how much is that down to issues with Marvel these days.

RE 7 is not only the best game this gen for me, it's also the best in the series and hands down the best Sony VR game I've played. Monster Hunter has been brilliant on the 3DS, Monster World looks utterly fantastic and I also Capcom have done a great job with its High Def remasters on the PS4 and One. So no sorry they don't deliver the pathetic and childish name calling they get imo.

Your argument basically seems to be "I like Resident Evil and Monster Hunter so it's fine".
That's not going to cut it for a lot of people. I mean i'm glad you're good to go. But I don't blame anyone for putting capcom through the ringer. Especially when the majority of said complaints are coming more from wanting Capcom to be better more than anything else.

A lot of the biggest critical people of capcom are some of the biggest fans of all their series. Capcom is still in a weird shaky spot where they want to be a AAA company without the AAA work put in. Once they get better footing on their entire company as a whole and the goals they want to make. You'll see people turning their tune's around. The only bad criticisms are those that are to the extent of "I hope capcom dies and X company has their IPs"

Team Andromeda, do you not understand the concept of "context"?

Nier and Yakuza Zero are low budget series as admitted by the creators themselves. You aren't going to get anywhere with you're "but we don't really know!". Nier didn't have a budget for DLC, it was outsourced to Platinum who are known for working efficiently, and it was in development for under three years. Talking about how Yakuza doesn't sell as much as Shenmue 1 doesn't mean anything when Shenmue 1 was notoriously expensive for it's time.

This is the basis of you're argument, it seems. "I like Capcom, I'm a fan of the game, so stop bashing" like Jawmuncher said.

RE 7 did not sell "fantastically" It missed it's sales projection by 500K. It's missing it's second sales projection by a whole lot (it's sold 200K of the 2 million expected of it). It's selling at a much slower pace compared to it's predecessors, one of which was critically maligned. Yes, it made a profit. I'm sure Final Fantasy XVI could make a profit off of 3 million shipped. That doesn't mean that Square Enix would be happy that their premiere franchise dropped 50% inbetween entries.

Or, put another way:

Baby Driver making 210 million dollars is seen as a great success because it had a budget of 34 million. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets made the same amount an is considered a failure because it cost around 200 million to make.

You can't just say "Oh, it sold 3 million! Therefore it's super successful!" Call of Duty selling 3 million would be utterly catastrophic for Activision.

Your argument basically seems to be "I like Resident Evil and Monster Hunter so it's fine".
That's not going to cut it for a lot of people. I mean i'm glad you're good to go. But I don't blame anyone for putting capcom through the ringer. Especially when the majority of said complaints are coming more from wanting Capcom to be better more than anything else.

I want SEGA Japan to be better than anyone else, but they're a corp that's done far worse than Capcom at handling their classic IP, much less handling the current gen (one major new Next gen game). Nintendo isn't much better with their IP either lacking in sequels to Pilotwings, F-Zero and more or less run Starfox into the ground. In fact, most of the one great Japanese developers haven't been exactly fabulous this gen bar 1 or 2 titles per Corp

Capcom has given us a truly fabulous game with RE 7 and also produced a wonderful In-House engine they've also kept the Monster Hunter quality bar high and Monster World looks incredible What I wish SEGA would do with PSO that's a fully next gen multiplatform sequel for the world market. Street Fighter V is sheer class and one of the best Vs fighters out there

Yes, I love to see a sequel to Lost Planet, Dragon Dogma or DMC and hope that Capcom is working on at least one of those, I get that Dead Rising IV wasn't fabulous (but hardly awful) and is an IP in trouble. Sure Capcom can and should do better, but there again, I could say the say the same for 99% of Japanese studios other than FromSoftware tbh

Team Andromeda, do you not understand the concept of "context"?

Nier and Yakuza Zero are low budget series as admitted by the creators themselves.

Nier I may give you, but not Yakuza Zero. Its an IP with money spent on it and with SEGA putting hundreds of staff to work on each title. It still takes a lot of money and staff to make each Yakuza and I can't recall any member of the team saying it was done on the cheap only that Kawagoe-san said that each game must sell 500,000 copies to cover its development budget (when talking of Yakuza 3). 7

RE 7 did not sell "fantastically" It missed it's sales projection by 500K

Only this board could make out that any game selling over 3 million copies is bad. In the Horizon Zero Dawn when it sells 3 million units it's an utter triumph, so what gives?. I wouldn't say too much but Capcom already said RE 7 sold well enough to cover its costs back in Feb 2017

Call of Duty selling 3 million would be utterly catastrophic for Activisio

*rollseyes* RE has never sold in COD sort of numbers and tbh very few games do. How many current get games sell more than 3 million copies, I would think it's not that many. Most publishers are happy to push past the million barrier

Svejk

I really want to say that Deep Down is basically the FFXIII Versus of Dragon's Dogma 2.

It's not even funny how bad I want DD2 to exist!
SHAMON, CAPCOM!!
1VjEL.gif

BadWolf

Only this board could make out that any game selling over 3 million copies is bad. In the Horizon Zero Dawn when it sells 3 million units it's an utter triumph, so what gives?. I wouldn't say too much but Capcom already said RE 7 sold well enough to cover its costs back in Feb 2017

Horizon = brand new IP

RE7 sold quite a bit less than RE5 and RE6 despite launching on more platforms.

RE is Capcom's biggest IP, the latest entry selling considerably less than the previous ones isn't a good look any way you spin it.

nelo_inc

I really believe that Capcom need to go back in the past get some franchises back, it's loosing it's relevancy everyday.

RE7 sold less because they changed too much from what the franchise always was, i have it on PC and only played a couple of hours, the hole FPS horror thing it's not for me.

dan2026

Resident Evil 7 was supposed to sell 4 million in three months. It sold 3.5, and then managed to only sell 200K after that.

This is absurd. 3.5 million sold should be amazing by anyone's count.
Capcom's expectations are ridiculous.

Horizon = brand new IP

RE7 sold quite a bit less than RE5 and RE6 despite launching on more platforms.

Horizon still took a huge team and years to develop new IP or not. Lots of games can still do well even if they don't reach the highs of previous entries I mean we're getting a new GT despite GT 6 selling far less than part 5 and the game costing SONY millions, same for God Of War.

RE7 sold less because they changed too much from what the franchise always was

RE was originally planned and set out to be a FPS horror game, technical limitations made it otherwise. RE is a survival Horror and that's exactly what RE7 is imo

BadWolf

Horizon still took a huge team and years to develop new IP or not. Lots of games can still do well even if they don't reach the highs of previous entries I mean we're getting a new GT despite GT 6 selling far less than part 5 and the game costing SONY millions, same for God Of War.

Like I said, you can spin it anyway you like but at the end of the day the two previous entries in the series are Capcom's no.1 and no.2 best selling games to date and when the latest entry sells quite a bit less then there is hardly anything to be impressed with.

Is 3.5 million good for a game? Sure. Is it impressive for an RE mainline entry? Nope.

RE is their biggest IP, they want its audience to grow, not shrink.

MrCarter

RE7 was always going to sell less than RE 4/5/6 due to not appealing to the action shooter heads, people don't want to think they just want to point and shoot. I actually applaud them for going back to their roots and sticking to their creative vision for this title and it seems the gamble paid off. The game received universal critical acclaim with 86 on metacrtitic and did way better for the brands reception in compared to its predecessor RE6 which only received a 74.

We were talking about sales. You brought up sales of those games and acted like people were being hypocritical blind Sony fanboys in saying that Nier, Nioh or Yakuza had impressive sales, while RE7 didn't sale as much as it was expected from it. There is no getting around the fact that Capcom expected and still expects the game do way better. I showed you why what you said wasn't true and why those games, even though had sold way less than RE7, still had very impressive sales. It was never about the quality of said games, just about the sales being impressive.

Also, just because I'm a Yakuza fan who is wearing a Yakuza avatar and is a proud supporter of the series, doesn't mean that I am a blind Yakuza fanboy and I don't appreciate you acting like I am.
This confirms nothing. Square-Enix clearly stated they had so many issues with their Luminous Engine and spent 10 years to do FFXV. They ditched it and replaced it with UE4 for their other games but still FFXV was reelased with Luminous Engine.
Panta Rhei when first showcased was meant to work on PS4 with the exclusive Deep Down. It was part of the PS4 reveal and TGS shows for both Capcom and Sony. I don't think this was canceled forever. Put on Hold maybe but not abandoned. PS4 is the only console yet to not have gotten an exclusive game from Capcom (even timed). I am pretty sure this engine will see the light again with the PS4 exclusive DMC5.
Let me rephrase what I said.

I think the fact that they are using UE4 for MvC:I and SFV, built an entirely new engine for RE7 and are making their biggest current gen game yet (MHW) with MT framework, pretty much confirms that PR is dead.

I mean, there is always a chance that it might show up, but PR wasn't supposed to be an exclusive engine, so I don't think your reasoning really works there. They wanted it to replace MT from last gen, and it clearly didn't work. I also don't think it'll be reasonable for a company like Capcom to make two entirely new engines from scratch at the same time. I think DMC5 will either use RE Engine or a licensed third party one like MvC:I and SFV did.

Like I said, you can spin it anyway you like but at the end of the day the two previous entries in the series are Capcom's no.1 and no.2 best selling games to date and when the latest entry sells quite a bit less then there is hardly anything to be impressed with.

Is 3.5 million good for a game? Sure. Is it impressive for an RE mainline entry? Nope.

RE is their biggest IP, they want its audience to grow, not shrink.

I'm not spinning at all, just saying that any game selling over 3 million units at full price is doing well, the game made a profit and paid back its development costs, that's not spin Grand Turismo is one of SONY main IP's GT6 sold nothing like GT 5 and sold the worst out of any main GT game, anyone here saying GT is in trouble not impressed with GT6 sales

Any game that sells over 3 million units is doing very well.

Also, just because I'm a Yakuza fan who is wearing a Yakuza avatar and is a proud supporter of the series

And just because I think the series is getting a bit stale hoping the game would sell better, doesn't mean I'm a SEGA hater or don't rate the series. Love SEGA will all my heart, but kind of wish Yakuza series sold better after the work put into them (more so for part II) and just feel it be better for the team/tech and the series if the Team were given 3 years to make each new entry.

The team had 2 years to make Yakuza 5 and it showed with a new engine and just a better all round game

And just because I think the series is getting a bit stale hoping the game would sell better, doesn't mean I'm a SEGA hater or don't rate the series.
And I never said or implied that you were.

And again, about the 3 million thing:
You seem to have this wrong notion that selling 3 million copies, means that the game is doing great no matter what was its development cost. Well, you might wanna tell that to Square Enix, cause TR 2013 sold 3.4 million copies when it was released, yet not only SE was disappointed, but they actually reported extraordinary loss from TR and other SE games at the time for not meeting their sales expectations.

Vibranium

Banned
I personally believe that Resident Evil 2 Remake will easily sell better than Resident Evil 7, and this is regardless of the camera (I hope it's moving, dynamic angles styled like Outbreak!).

Leon, Sherry, Ada and Claire (plus HUNK if he's playable) will draw in a lot of people who want to see familiar characters. Raccoon City is extremely well known thanks to the Anderson movies, so Capcom's marketing should be able to hit the mainstream better.

And again, about the 3 million thing:

And what about the 3 million? I mean if you look at other comparable 3rd party Japanese developers/publishers RE 7 numbers are really good when put up against anything from SEGA, Dark Souls III, MGS 5 and maybe just a bit behind the likes of FF 15.

It's sold well and Capcom did a fab job with the title, they got the series back to its puzzles and true survival horror roots. Only some here could make out that RE 7 hasn't sold well or the IP is in trouble. Yes, Capcom aren't what they once were, but is any Japanese corp this gen?.

I get Capcom haven't done a great job with its IP and as messed up the likes of Dead Rising 4, Lost Planet, but I see SEGA sitting on an IP wonderland while it's messed up sequels to NiGHTS, Sakura Wars and keeps on giving us a Shining Forces games that nobody really wants and where SEGA Japan has only made one true next gen title this gen (Yak 6) and more to the point, where the hell is VF 6?, even Nintendo has looked over sequels to F-Zero, Pilotwings while running Starfox into the ground and disappointing games like Hey Pikmin, hell even FromSoftware seem not bothered about some of their classic and fan fav IP.

SO I don't get why Capcom get all the hate myself, other than like Sonic Team, COD its all about jumping on the hate bandwagon

I personally believe that Resident Evil 2 Remake will easily sell better than Resident Evil 7, and this is regardless of the camera (I hope it's moving, dynamic angles styled like Outbreak!).

Let's hope not because all that will tell Capcom is action games sell better.

Monster Hunter was the last Capcom title I've bought since last gen and that was only with the encouragement of friends.

Still not really looking to give capcom any cash to be honest.

Top Bottom