• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denver/Colorado |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
geepGcc.jpg

Welcome!

I've seen enough people on GAF talking about wanting to move/visit Denver and/or Colorado. This thread is an attempt to provide people with information about this wonderful state and city!

I'm going to break this thread into 3 parts:
  • Moving to Colorado
  • Visiting Colorado
  • Q&A

But first, let's take a look at a map so you can get a lay of the land:
gRhUt2Q.gif

The first thing you'll notice is that Denver itself on the map is quite busy. That's because Denver proper isn't all that big. The population of Denver is hovering around 650k people. It's when you combine all the sprawl which includes Littleton, Arvada, Lakewood, Aurora etc that Denver metro becomes quite large and the population jumps to close to 3 million.

To the north, you'll see Boulder and Fort Collins. Both house major universities with Boulder having Colorado University (CU) and Fort Collins having Colorado State University (CSU). From a College sports perspective CU is in the PAC 12 and CSU is in the Mountain West conference.

To the South, you'll find Colorado Springs. This city has the distinction of being the home of an Olympic Training Center as well as the Air Force Academy. From a college sports perspective, the Air Force is a member in the Mountain West Conference.

Looking to the East, honestly, it turns into a lot of farm land as you make your way to Nebraska and Kansas.

To the west, you see the mountains which is the way the camera's point when they're taking a shot of the Denver skyline. Where I live, it takes me a grand total of 10 minutes to get into the foothills and 45 minutes to get into the mountains proper. It's this direction that you're going to find all the skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, and trail hiking you can shake your fist at.

So with that out of the way let's move onto the topics.

Moving to Colorado
During the great recession, Denver and area were hurting. At the time, the state was more reliant on Oil. While it was a bit of a Tech hub, that didn't really take off until the recovery happened.

Now Denver and area has become quite a hotspot with a lot of people from around the country moving here. Tech has really taken off and you'll find startups and headquarters popping up like crazy.

However, Denver has had troubles keeping up with the growth when it comes to housing. As such rent and housing prices have skyrocketed. For example, my house is now valued at 200% more than when I bought it during the infamous housing market crash.

But all is not lost! It's still not as crazy as the bay area and you can still find affordable places to live! Obviously, prices will vary depending on your tolerance for commuting.

Let's break down average prices. Note: I'm going to list major areas that make up Denver Metro and then Boulder, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs. Also note that these are averages I'm pulling from Google so YMMV when you do your own research. Also, my google search is from Feb 2017 so things may have changed depending on when you read this!

• Arvada - Rent: ~1.3k/mo - 1.7k/mo Buy: 350k
  • Aurora - Rent: ~1k/mo - 1.5k/mo Buy: 275k
  • Centennial - Rent: ~1.4k/mo - 1.8k/mo Buy: 420k
  • Golden - Rent: ~800/mo - 1.2k/mo Buy: 480k (most of these houses are up in the foothills)
  • Englewood - Rent: ~870/mo - 1.2k/mo Buy: 320k
  • Denver - Rent: ~1.5k/mo - 2k/mo Buy: 370k
  • Lakewood - Rent: ~1.2k/mo - 1.5k/mo Buy: 350k
  • Littleton - Rent: ~1.5k/mo - 2k/mo Buy: 400k
  • Thornton - Rent: ~1.1k/mo - 1.4k/mo Buy: 300k
  • Westminster - Rent: ~1.2k/mo - 1.6k/mo Buy: 320k
  • Boulder - Rent: ~1.5k/mo - 2k/mo Buy: 675k
  • Colorado Springs - Rent: ~900/mo - 1.2k/mo Buy: 240k
  • Fort Collins - Rent: ~1.2k/mo - 1.6k/mo Buy: 340k

Remember, these are averages so you may find a sweet deal. Do your homework!

Visiting Colorado
So you're deciding to visit Colorado. What to do?

Well, it depends.Are you looking to go into the city or be out in nature?

If city, then there's a hotel right on 16th street and you're right in the middle of it all. Seriously, I love how diverse and active 16th street is and Denver made it a priority to be the focal point for all visiting people. If your legs are tired, there's the MallRide which is a bus that will ship you up and down that area to your hearts content. There's bars, restaurants, comedy venues, and little holes in the wall that you'll find if you decide to walk a block east or west from 16th.

One of my favorites is the Clock Tower Cabaret. It's mostly a burlesque show. Pierre is awesome. He's an equal opportunity fucker as he likes to say. No, you can't bring your kids as far as I know.

If you're feeling adventurous and time it right, you can make your way east down Coalfax. There you will find a lot of fun bars and concert halls like the Fillmore Auditorium and the Ogden Theater. Or, you could hop on Broadway which houses a ton of pubs and this is where a lot of the weed dispensaries reside.

If you stay on 16th, you're extremely close to Coors field if you want to take in a ball game, the Pepsi Center where the Avalanche and the Nuggets play, and Mile High (don't correct me, it's Mile High) where the Broncos play.

If you're more of a nature person, go west into the mountains. So much nature, you'll be sick of it by the time you leave. This is where all the ski resorts and hiking paths reside. If you decide to move to Colorado, at some point someone will either ask you or invite you to do a 14er. What it means is to climb a mountain to the summit that is over 14,000 feet above sea level. There's actually a list you can check off. Some are extremely easy as in you can almost drive to the summit, where others take a bit of planning and you're heading out at 4 in the morning. The biggest thing is that you should summit and leave before noon. Lightning is a serious threat in the afternoon.

If you find yourself at a ski resort in the summer, don't fret! The chairlifts are running at a lot of these places! The reason? You hook your mountain bike onto the back of the chair and get to ride down. It's awesome.

Q&A
Q: I heard weed's legal there. That true?
A: Yep!

Q: So I can smoke anywhere?
A: Nope, you will get in a lot of trouble. It's a keep it in your room/house type thing. Pretty much all the laws that apply to alcohol, apply to marijuana but more. That includes DUI's, public intox, smoking in public etc. Be responsible.

Q: Where does one go to purchase marijuana?
A: Seriously, just hop on Broadway and go south. You'll know you're in the area of a lot of dispensaries because you can smell it.

Q: That's cool, but are there any other areas?
A: Yep! Just go online and search.

Q: I heard I need to use cash.
A: You do. Unless it's changed recently. Federally, it's still illegal and there's some banking restrictions that make it different than other shops.

Q: I'm concerned about the shootings that have happened in Colorado. Should I be worried?
A: A valid concern, but you're more likely to get hit by someone who's texting while driving.

Q: How does Colorado lean politically?
A: Metro Denver and Boulder mostly lean left. That's enough to win the state when it comes to federal elections. Fort Collins I would say is kind of in the middle and then Colorado Springs is firmly to the right. After you get out of the metro areas, I would say it's mostly right leaning.

Q: Are there dangerous areas in Denver?
A: Like any city of a decent size, sure there's some sketchy areas. East Colfax can be intimidating when you first encounter it, but the people there are awesome.

Q: Are Subarus as prolific as the media makes them out to be?
A: They are quite prolific. There's a reason though. Spend one winter here and you'll discover why people like having a smaller vehicle with all-wheel drive and a Toyota longevity type reputation. If you move here from out of state and drive a Subaru, you'll be pleasantly surprised that your resale value jumped by a couple thousand dollars. Speaking of Toyota, the 4Runner is a fairly common sight too.

Q: Do I have to become part of Broncos Nation?
A: It's Country. Fuck the Raiders. And yes. Yes you do.

Anyways, I think that's good to kick things off. And again, welcome!

One last thing:
Praise Blucifer, the Neighslayer.

7mTE4uH.jpg

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Thread needs more Red Rocks. If you do choose to come here, check out a concert at Red Rocks and then gtfo.

Good catch! It's not just for concerts! During the summer they do something called "Movie on the Rocks" where you can go there and check out a movie!

Last time I went they showed The Big Lebowski. People showed up with White Russians and as soon as the movie started, a massive billow of smoke actually blocked me from seeing the screen!

Good times.

Subscribed. I've lived here for 12 years now and it's a beautiful city and state. The rent crunch is getting a little ridiculous though. Here's hoping housing catches up to the demand soon. Oh and if someone tells you to go to Casa Bonita, it's a trap.

mike6467

Awesome OT! I Native here, I just bought a house in the south suburbs last year. Rent prices were insane. Thankfully there's a lot of construction going on, mostly near the lightrail, so hopefully those apartments opening up will ease things a bit. I bought at the right time though, the house I'm in increased by 20% since I moved in. I would've been priced out of the market had I waited at all.

KingK

I just graduated last semester and am planning on moving out of Indiana ASAP. I've been to Colorado a ton growing up because of my family that lives in the Denver area. Easily my favorite state in the US that I've been to, so it's towards the top of my list for moving destinations right now.

Fort Collins GAF here. Wish there were less Trump signs, but rural Colorado is weird and the proximity to Wyoming is unfortunate.

Also real talk avoid Steamboat.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Loved Colorado when I was there last year. Im gonna visit soon this year....especially for the bootleg six flags they got there..

Chris R

Terrific town. On my very short lists of places I want to move to in the next year or two.

Shame the hockey team is complete shit atm ;_;

ezrarh

Denver checking in.

Things to do when you get here:

- Drive into the mountains with bald tires
- Tell people how it's so much better in California
- Casa Bonita isn't really a trap

Hey, from Illinois here. I'm taking a trip to Denver in April. I've done my research a bit regarding the legal green. My girlfriend, traveling with me, has discounts at some hotels due to work-related travel. We can stay in a good room at a good hotel for cheap instead of paying the price for an advertised 420-friendly hotel.

We don't have the hotel narrowed down yet so this is more of general question for anyone that has been in this situation before: I hear hotels will charge you a fee if they catch you, or smell, legal herb in your room. I also hear people, on the visiting CO trees subreddit on reddit, say you should have no problem as long as you aren't being an 'ass' about it. This probably also varies by hotel. Would it be OK to smoke in a room and cover it with cigarette smoke (Planning to book a smoking room)? If not outright smoking, planning to pick up a disposable vape pen at a dispensary instead but fresh flower would be nice. Vapor doesn't linger as much as smoke but I don't trust my own nose for this. I'm used to the smell of it; Nose blind.

New Mexico here but I love taking trips up north to the beautiful state. Was actually in Colorado Springs this past weekend buying a travel trailer. Love Trinidad, Pueblo, Colorado Springs, and Denver- four great cities up I25.

I love this state. Great airport, great transportation options, beautiful parks, great hiking, and most people I've run into have been really nice and laid back. Best decision I ever made was moving here. Now to hope I can find a house sometime next year for under $400k.

We should probably add some recommended restaurant options for the newcomers to the OT. I haven't ventured out too far from the DTC area, but some of my favorites are:

Smoking Fins
Moonlight Diner (by the airport)
Jabo's BBQ
Atomic Burgers
Crave Burgers
NoNo's Cafe
The Asian Cajun
Los Chingones
Crenelli's Italian

Question for those who live around the city (and in particular downtown): are there any awesome farmers markets in Denver? I currently live within walking distance of a year-round farmers market/restaurant complex and I love being able to get fresh, inexpensive produce, in addition to just browsing all the artisan goods on the weekends. Is there anything in Denver that will substitute for that when I move there?

If you're willing to make about a 10-15 minute trip down I-25, Cherry Creek Farmers Market is great and packed every Saturday morning, but it's not year round.

GatorBait

Question for those who live around the city (and in particular downtown): are there any awesome farmers markets in Denver? I currently live within walking distance of a year-round farmers market/restaurant complex and I love being able to get fresh, inexpensive produce, in addition to just browsing all the artisan goods on the weekends. Is there anything in Denver that will substitute for that when I move there?

Been trapped here since I was 12... so geez, 20 years now, I guess. Worst part of living here is the delusional sports fans. Best part is always knowing which direction is west. The summers are too hot and the winters are too cold. It never rains enough. Unless you're in the foothills or the mountains, most of the state looks like brown and yellow ass... it's basically Kansas... with the Rockies in the background. Don't bother going to a Red Rocks concert unless you're really close to the front, the new-ish noise restrictions really make it hard to enjoy it otherwise. Yes I'm fun at parties. But to be fair Denver proper and Boulder are interesting enough, the people in general are pleasant, and the mountains're nice.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Hey, from Illinois here. I'm taking a trip to Denver in April. I've done my research a bit regarding the legal green. My girlfriend, traveling with me, has discounts at some hotels due to work-related travel. We can stay in a good room at a good hotel for cheap instead of paying the price for an advertised 420-friendly hotel.

We don't have the hotel narrowed down yet so this is more of general question for anyone that has been in this situation before: I hear hotels will charge you a fee if they catch you, or smell, legal herb in your room. I also hear people, on the visiting CO trees subreddit on reddit, say you should have no problem as long as you aren't being an 'ass' about it. This probably also varies by hotel. Would it be OK to smoke in a room and cover it with cigarette smoke (Planning to book a smoking room)? If not outright smoking, planning to pick up a disposable vape pen at a dispensary instead but fresh flower would be nice. Vapor doesn't linger as much as smoke but I don't trust my own nose for this. I'm used to the smell of it; Nose blind.
Hmm, that's a good question. I don't recall any hotels being specific about marijuana smoke. I have seen hotels say that they will charge you the next day if the rooms smells like smoke, but they didn't specify what type.

Yes! Although the ones I've been to are seasonal where they kick off in May and shut down in October. I'll see if I can find anything that's year round.

Native. Currently live in Northglenn/Thornton.

Before anyone does it, like they did in the previous thread, the weather is NOT awesome. Do not listen to these people. It sucks. It's always sucked, and it'll continue to suck until the sun engulfs the entire planet.

Adam Blue

Just got into Miami from Denver today. Had a lot of fun there. Went to a puff, pass, paint class and loved it. Easy to find anything and we used a card to purchase our stuff. I'll be returning for the painting as that was an amazing time.

But, it was too cold. We got to 16th street Thursday and my face couldn't take it. I'll come back when it's not winter.

The amount of housing was pretty insane. Construction of apts/condos everywhere. Seems like a bubble that could burst in the future.

FYI I live in a Dallas/ft worth suburb.

Edit: we had a smoking room and there were no probs. They did ask us to use a vape, which they provided, but the smell is so strong on that top floor it didn't matter.

We don't have the hotel narrowed down yet so this is more of general question for anyone that has been in this situation before: I hear hotels will charge you a fee if they catch you, or smell, legal herb in your room.

It's possible but unlikely you'd be caught. I've smoked a lot of weed in hotels that don't allow smoking and never had a problem. Just blow it out the window or take a steamy shower. Don't rip bongs, obviously.

You should also be able to find secluded spots outside. Be discrete. I personally prefer edibles. You can eat those anywhere.

GatorBait

Yes! Although the ones I've been to are seasonal where they kick off in May and shut down in October. I'll see if I can find anything that's year round.

Thank you! If you have any recommendations for good seasonal markets, I'd also be very interested in hearing about those. The one I live by now is one of the largest in the region/Midwest, so I'm not expecting a one-to-one substitute by any means, just some options for getting my farmers market fix.

I've been thinking about looking for jobs in Boulder or Denver. The tech market in Nashville is super competitive and the cost of living is skyrocketing.

Colorado Springs native here. The city doesn't feel as right leaning, but it's still there. Stay out of Pueblo though. No one likes Pueblo.

Of course we get a Colorado OT the day after I get back from a weeklong vacation there. I definitely liked the area. It does take a bit to get used to the altitude. Alcohol and exercising hits you a LOT harder. I got a chance to check out the Denver Zoo, Butterfly Pavilion, Downtown Boulder, and a day of skiing in Breckenridge. I enjoyed all of them immensely!

.JayZii

Banned
Boulder/Glenwood Springs checking in.

Um... yeah. Stick to the mountains. Go to Red Rocks and enjoy outdoor activities. Hike up to Hanging Lake if you're going through Glenwood Canyon for whatever reason. If you've driven through Denver and are still going east, you've gone too far.

Trying to decide where to move and Colorado's on the list of options. I'm scared to death of trying to figure and plan this out. This thread should be helpful.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Nothing listed about craft beer we have in Colorado makes me sad. We are the craft beer state!

Otherwise not a bad OP!

Come to Colorado and enjoy our many craft breweries, some right along side the mountains! I can't remember if you listed anything about central city either but if you like gambling, we got it at Blackhawk/Central city!

COLORADO HAS IT ALL!
BEST STATE!

gaiadyne

Thread needs more Red Rocks. If you do choose to come here, check out a concert at Red Rocks and then gtfo.

I ended up hating Red Rocks after having to keep going back there to run the steps for physical training with my Americorps NCCC team when we were staying there

ChouGoku

I love living here, the dispensary I go to dropped their prices to $35 for a 1/4 oz. Its beautiful. I live next to Boulder

If you like Red Rocks, might as well head south quite a bit near Chatfield Resevoir, there is a state park there called Roxborough Park with a ton of those red sandstone structures all over the place. Garden of the Gods is the more well known one but Roxborough is just as nice, has some nice hiking trails and is closer to Denver than GotG. Still a good drive though.

Denver/Aurora native here. This city sure has changed a lot since I was a kid in the early 90's. Still remember going to the Stapleton Airport with family to pick up relatives.

Laekon

I finish up a RN degree program this year and Colorado is one of the places I'm looking at to get away from LA/So Cal. I've been there often before for work and vacation. Cost of living vs pay is the only real concern beyond just the social aspect of moving to a new state at 35+ yrs old. While it's cheaper then So Cal the pay scale is also a lot lower. My estimate is $73k vs $49k So Cal vs Co. The difference in rent isn't that much. Oregon and Washington seem to be better in this area.

Areas like Golden, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs seems to be just about the best mix of city, outdoors, weather, and affordability in the country. I'm not sure what it's like driving into the city from Golden though. I know traffic on the 70 can be horrible sometimes.

thespot84

I finish up a RN degree program this year and Colorado is one of the places I'm looking at to get away from LA/So Cal. I've been there often before for work and vacation. Cost of living vs pay is the only real concern beyond just the social aspect of moving to a new state at 35+ yrs old. While it's cheaper then So Cal the pay scale is also a lot lower. My estimate is $73k vs $49k So Cal vs Co. The difference in rent isn't that much. Oregon and Washington seem to be better in this area.

Areas like Golden, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs seems to be just about the best mix of city, outdoors, weather, and affordability in the country. I'm not sure what it's like driving into the city from Golden though. I know traffic on the 70 can be horrible sometimes.

from golden it's usually better to take 6th ave into downtown. It can back up but it's one of the better freeways in the city. With no traffic it's 25 minutes to/from Golden. There's even a train most of the way there, depending on where you're going. Our highway traffic sucks but it's nothing like LA traffic.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I have a friend who goes to a gunsmithing school in Trinidad. It seems pretty badass.

Golden to Denver is easy if you can avoid having to travel on I-25.

I hate that Golden is the only "regional" stop on the W line, meaning it costs twice as much to ride the train from Golden to Denver as it does if you got off one stop earlier.

If anyone is looking for a place in Golden, my roommate gave 30 days notice yesterday and then decided to move out this morning so I have a master bedroom/bathroom in a brand new manufactured home coming up for rent. PM for the details.

Also if anyone wants to mountain bike or learn how to mountain bike, I teach children and adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom