• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details of how much do Nintendo execs earn each year

jigglet

Banned
No wonder America is so pissed off at China, based ASIA is coming for that ass.

Are you really buying into the "America is only pissed off at China cause they are out competing them" narrative that China's propaganda department is spewing? No one gave two shits when the Japanese were killing the US in many industries in the 80's. Or the South Koreans more recently.

LarknThe4th

The one thing that sticks out is the fact that Myamotos games have made Nintendo literally 10s of billions of dollars in profit

And before anyone says games take 100s of people to make back in the 80s when it was like 10 people at the most Myamoto was the creative lead on games that racked up Billions in profit.

Wonder does he have some stock options because honestly him and Tezuka deserve em

McRazzle

The one thing that sticks out is the fact that Myamotos games have made Nintendo literally 10s of billions of dollars in profit

And before anyone says games take 100s of people to make back in the 80s when it was like 10 people at the most Myamoto was the creative lead on games that racked up Billions in profit.

Wonder does he have some stock options because honestly him and Tezuka deserve em
I've never heard of Japanese developers getting paid royalties.
I wonder if that's why Nintendo games made by western developers, always use IP previously established in Japan.

teezzy

Banned
tenor.gif

Collin

Banned
wow so much lower than American salaries, kind of fascinating. miyamoto makes under 2 mil? that’s nuts. not that 2mil is a small chunk of change but my bosses salary is around that and i just work at some ad agency with nowhere near nintendo’s profits. that’s wild, especially with how irreplaceable miyamoto is. just a culture difference i guess.

is cost of living in japan significantly lower? must be, right?

Does it disclose their performance incentives or stock options (i.e. the actual benchmarks)? It’s not atypical for executives’ base pay to be reported and kept low for PR purposes.

Plus many of these executives have hefty severance packages if they’re ever fired. Japan handles such quite differently than US companies, but it’s worth examining if you want to have an even-keeled assessment of what life is like at the top.

Last edited:

CesarNsnake

Neo Member

Miyamoto would be a Billionaire in a western country...just look at Notch with Minecraft

Are you really buying into the "America is only pissed off at China cause they are out competing them" narrative that China's propaganda department is spewing? No one gave two shits when the Japanese were killing the US in many industries in the 80's. Or the South Koreans more recently.
Actually, that’s not true at all. You also need to research why Japanese boom came to an abrupt end in mid-90s.

Hint: America did it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
wow so much lower than American salaries, kind of fascinating. miyamoto makes under 2 mil? that’s nuts. not that 2mil is a small chunk of change but my bosses salary is around that and i just work at some ad agency with nowhere near nintendo’s profits. that’s wild, especially with how irreplaceable miyamoto is. just a culture difference i guess.

Different corporate culture.

The executes have more solidarity with the people under them, unlike American corporate culture.

Case in point:

Quasicat

I know that’s not a lot for executives, but being in public education has skewed my view of what people make. The head of my district makes 96k and I’m excited about breaking 70k when I hit my 20th anniversary in a couple of years. I couldn’t imagine breaking even a quarter of a million a year.

Tokyo most expensive city in the world.

Though it's a good salary. Designed to keep them working instead of early comfortable retirement.

If you're an American executive, yes. If you're anyone else in the world, no. $2M/year is still a shitton of money.

But we are not talking about regular well of businessmen. These guys are on the level of Steve Jobs importance to the company. This is low for any country and Japan is first world country. This is a CEO salary of any random CEO of a smaller business. Nintendo is anything but small. Then again a few years back they revealed the salary of CEO of Japan Airlines. It was something like 2 mil, while American Airlines that is falling apart, their CEO was earning like 45mil a year.

Esca

At least they aren't so extremely overt bloated like most American CEOs. I honestly couldn't live with myself to make the kind of money that someone like kotick does and then lays people off en mass

Jeeves

Yeah it seems reasonable, even considering how important they are.

When you go higher into the multi-millions, you surpass survival, comfort and even luxury. Like how is 30 million any more of an incentive for any individual than 10 million, for example, unless you aspire to literally bath in gold?

This is only part of the story. Steve Job’s base salary at Apple when he brought back the company from the brink of extinction was pretty low but if I remember, he had something like 2% cut of the profits. Forgot the exact details but it made him a lot richer than his salary would suggest.

Without knowing things like stakes and stock options, those figures are incomplete. Regardless, I don’t think they’re making the outrageous salaries American CEO’s are.

Anki

Banned
So some streamers who play games online are probably making more money than people who are responsible for said games.
Anyway thats a lot if money, Miyamoyo makes 150,000usd per month or 5000usd per day.

nkarafo

It's just that in other parts of the world, execs get unreasonable amount of money. That's why these seem low. Otherwise, they are perfectly reasonable. That amount of money gets you everything you could ever want.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Makes sense. Japan has less and individualist culture than we have here

Mario being a Miyamoto creation and yet he created it for the company we works for. When you work for a company usually the IP you make for them belongs to them. That’s how it happens most of the time.

Would be nice for him to be the richest man alive but that’s not how things work in real life

Japan is infinitely more egalitarian, socially cohesive and conscious country than US. You would probably be put to shame in Japan if you earned 35M/year for doing anything.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It’s really low, yes. I’m sure they have stock options, pensions, etc. We’re also assuming this is true.

Moreover, Nintendo’s market cap is not astronomical to begin with.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
If you’re not working at a giant megacorp those seem like reasonable compensation...Nintendo has 6,200 employees, Microsoft has 151,000, and Sony has 114,000. It’s a profitable company and major player in gaming but they’re not huge

Bragr

Banned
Makes sense. Japan has less and individualist culture than we have here

Mario being a Miyamoto creation and yet he created it for the company we works for. When you work for a company usually the IP you make for them belongs to them. That’s how it happens most of the time.

Would be nice for him to be the richest man alive but that’s not how things work in real life
Yeah, Notch owned his own creation, Miyamoto never owned anything of what he made.

Almost 2 million a year is a lot of money, I doubt he's complaining. I'm not dirty commie, but I actually like it when top guys aren't getting 80 million a year.

On a side note, David Jaffe quit Sony because he didn't make enough money.

Bragr

Banned
What's crazy with Nintendo, is how they cultivate and develop talent for decades. In America, people switch companies left and right, in Japan, they stay and build the company. All these old school legends have been around since the 90s or even 80s, and are now cultivating the new batch of talent, that are now starting to direct their own games. It's very different from American companies.

f5DNrdE.jpg

Top Bottom