• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detective Pikachu Returns | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

c4b5a71815eb1817733a82d6228a624751f8f4a3fbc6c3a4f69f81be1e114454

Game Information​

Game Title: Detective Pikachu Returns

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Oct 6, 2023)
Trailer:

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 63 average - 40% recommended - 5 reviews

Captura-de-tela-2023-10-04-113103.png

MetaCritic - 71/100 - Based on 14 Reviews

USZPiuX.png

Critic Reviews​

ComicBook.com - Christian Hoffer - 2.5 / 5
Unless you're a Poke-Fanatic or a young child, Detective Pikachu Returns probably won't hold very much for you. Detective Pikachu is still a joy to watch, but his shenanigans are hardly worth the $50 price tag. However, I think that this game would be a great fit for younger Pokemon fans who aren't looking for deep multi-layered mysteries. As much as I wished that Detective Pikachu Returns had a stronger storyline, Detective Pikachu still has plenty of charm and the kids seem to enjoy his shenanigans as much as they did during his movie.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended
Detective Pikachu Returns is an excellent follow-up to its predecessor, expanding the world around Tim and Pikachu. However, the sequel mostly plays it safe by giving you more of the same experience.

GamesHub - Leah Williams - 4 / 5
While overtly silly and over-the-top at times, Detective Pikachu Returns effectively balances its light with its extreme darks, wielding its cuteness as a tool to tell an impactful and fairly relevant tale about corruption, felt throughout various cases.

Siliconera - Brent Koepp - 8 / 10
Detective Pikachu Returns is a charming mystery adventure. The long-awaited sequel to Tim Goodman's saga was worth the wait.

Stevivor - Matt Gosper - 6 / 10
Investigations are multi-staged, and some of the reveals are interesting if not particularly surprising. The inclusion of newer-generation Pokémon since the original title makes Ryme City feel even more alive and part of the Pokémon world, and the city is full of small details to really drive home the idea of people and Pokémon living together.

Power Pro

I would've been more down for this if I had ever gotten around to playing the first one. I'm one of those people who can't play shit out of order, but I just never wanna pull out my 3DS anymore to play anything.

KXVXII9X

Sad Animation GIF by POKÉMON Detective Pikachu

Yikes... Too bad. This could have been a great spinoff series since I love the idea of it. I wish they put more budget, care, and marketing towards this. The movie and first game seemed to do okay.

mcjmetroid

I mean.... look at it.

How did something that produced such a successful movie shit out a game that looks like this?
This would look horrible for an indie game.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I would've been more down for this if I had ever gotten around to playing the first one. I'm one of those people who can't play shit out of order, but I just never wanna pull out my 3DS anymore to play anything.
No, you wouldn’t.
Having played the first one is the main reason I wrote this one off immediately.

Top Bottom