• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Demon's Souls Remake on PlayStation 5: The Digital Foundry Tech Review

urmie

Can someone advise why 4K/60 isn't possible? The game doesn't have ray-tracing so what is taxing the specs here?

Lethal01

Can someone advise why 4K/60 isn't possible? The game doesn't have ray-tracing so what is taxing the specs here?

You think Raytracing is the only way a game can be demanding? Whether you choose to increase texture resolution or geometry density if you bring it to high you eventually won't be able to maintain 60fps even at 1080p.

Demon's Souls has extremely high quality assets and lighting regardleass of it not having raytracing. To increase the the framerate they would have to make cutbacks somewhere.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
It's fixed hardware, so there's always a trade-off in resolution. Reconstructed 4K (cbr, etc.) Gives you great image quality and gives you the headroom to go all out in other graphical effects.

bluepoint decided reconstructed 1440p with ehnanced graphical effects is better than native 4K. Considering how good the game looks and how stable the performance is, they right choice.

urmie

Not enough familiarity with the PS5 architecture.

You think Raytracing is the only way a game can be demanding? Whether you choose to increase texture resolution or geometry density if you bring it to high you eventually won't be able to maintain 60fps even at 1080p.

Demon's Souls has extremely high quality assets and lighting regardleass of it not having raytracing. To increase the the framerate they would have to make cutbacks somewhere.

It's fixed hardware, so there's always a trade-off in resolution. Reconstructed 4K (cbr, etc.) Gives you great image quality and gives you the headroom to go all out in other graphical effects.

bluepoint decided reconstructed 1440p with ehnanced graphical effects is better than native 4K. Considering how good the game looks and how stable the performance is, they right choice.

Thank you good sirs for some explanation. 👍🏻

Last edited:

Lethal01

I'd love to know what the people who reacted with the laughing emoji consider to be a better-looking game than Demon's Souls, so easy to just react with an emoji instead of giving an actual counterpoint.

They will say things like Red Dead Redemption 2 at max, Flight Simulator, Maybe Control

iHaunter

I always feel wary when they get EXCLUSIVES from the development team and then "critique" the tech.

"Sony has given Bluepoint the blessing to remake Demon's Souls"... sweet fuck the hyperbole is intense.

The old game still looks damn good, for a PS3 title, if only they had gotten the framerate right.
The old game looks like shit. It's not a hyperbole unless you have no semblance of how licensing works. They didn't just passively give BluePoint the thumbs up. They let them use the license and gave them all the source code. That's a little more than a wave.

regawdless

Banned
Looks so good. I am so torn, I want to play it but I also don't. I've finished the original multiple times and do t know if I have it in me to go through it again. Especially those poison areas and some rather tedious levels.

Malakhov

Banned

That was pretty funny, not gonna lie.

I'd highly encourage you watch PC Footage at least once in your life before posting anything
Then please let us know what looks better on pc. The only game I can think of is rdr2 and as much as I love that game, demon's souls got it beat

Share us your knowledge, since I have a 3080 and have tried a lot of games on it and nothing comes up to this.

Caio

The Game looks beautiful. Nice Video. Not sure if I will play at 60fps or max graphics fidelity. Performance is good, but I'm also a graphic whore, so not sure :D

GHG

I guess you must've been one of them. Anyone can read the forums without being a member. You can remove your tinfoil now "genius" lol.

Why don't you tell me since you seem to have such a vivid memory of what went on?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I always feel wary when they get EXCLUSIVES from the development team and then "critique" the tech.

"Sony has given Bluepoint the blessing to remake Demon's Souls"... sweet fuck the hyperbole is intense.

The old game still looks damn good, for a PS3 title, if only they had gotten the framerate right.
That's not even what he said, though. He said "From Software has given Sony and Bluepoint Games the blessing to recreate Demon's Souls from the ground up for the PlayStation 5." There wasn't really any hyperbole in the his statement. It seems like Sony and Bluepoint would have needed From's blessing if they still own the IP, but I don't know who owns the IP.

It was interesting to see how the game compares to the original and how well it works on PS5. Bluepoint really did a good job with this and fixing the frame pacing that plagues From games really smooths it out. I really wish I enjoyed Souls games because I would like to play this just to experience the world it's in. I agree with you that the old game still looks great as well considering its age.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
why people are comparing this game with red dead or flight simulator,stop wanting everything to be the "best" different scopes different generes,game looks awesome

Mister Wolf

I'd love to know what the people who reacted with the laughing emoji consider to be a better-looking game than Demon's Souls, so easy to just react with an emoji instead of giving an actual counterpoint.

Removing preferred art direction out of the equation Demon Souls doesn't look any more "Next Gen" than Godfall.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Removing preferred art direction out of the equation Demon Souls doesn't look any more "Next Gen" than Godfall.

He didn't say Demons Souls was technically the most advanced game on the planet, he said best looking game.

Godfall looks like shit. Games aren't tech demos, despite high end PC users having spent the past two decades trying to convince people otherwise.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

He didn't say Demons Souls was technically the most advanced game on the planet, he said best looking game.

Godfall looks like shit. Games aren't tech demos, despite high end PC users having spent the past two decades trying to convince people otherwise.

That's subjective.

geordiemp

Go look up 2080 ti performance in many 4K games.

Its nicer to have 1440p60 and some nice global illumination, fog and details.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So much flamebait .... you guys get sick and tired of me mentioning the PC and yet, you do it like clockwork.. hoping that I'll go for the bait. It's a wonder the mods ignore your complaints about me. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You're obsessed. It's not always about you.

tenor.gif

kingwingin

He said from software gave the blessing, not sony

Time, flat out.

The engine they're using, as they said, is the same as the SoC remake. It's likely a modified version of that engine. Optimized for next gen consoles? probably not as much as they would like it to be. I think most of the "next gen" games we have right now are just slightly modified better versions of what was suppose to be PS4/XOne games. These teams didn't have a lot time to change course and make next gen versions or completely move their game over to next gen. For the amount of time these teams had, I think they did a pretty good job and they even made launch.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Control and Metro with RT look better. Maybe also Star Citizen.
meh ive no idea why people think Control is so mind blowing. art design has to account for something and the samey office hallways for a dozen hours wasn't exactly my idea of good looking. maybe if you think shiny cubes are amazing.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
meh ive no idea why people think Control is so mind blowing. art design has to account for something and the samey office hallways for a dozen hours wasn't exactly my idea of good looking. maybe if you think shiny cubes are amazing.
Art design is 100% subjective.

Last edited:
Why isn't the video in 4K?

I just paid for their patron thinking I could download the 4k video but the last 4k video they uploaded was from 2018...

ZywyPL

Banned

Probably doesn't quite get to the targeted 60FPS, hence the decision to lock it to 30. Would be interesting to see it with dynamic resolution or unlocked framerate.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Art design is 100% subjective.
not true.

if it was 100% subjective there would be no art history to speak of. there would be no art galleries, no established artists, no art movements, etc.

face it, people find certain things beautiful and other things not. there are objective standards of beauty, regardless of what postmodernists say.

on that tip, have you ever looked at postmodern art? it's ugly af. this is why it clings to the tired "it's all subjective" argument. it's the only way to justify ugly looking hackneyed crap.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
not true.

if it was 100% subjective there would be no art history to speak of. there would be no art galleries, no established artists, no art movements, etc.

face it, people find certain things beautiful and other things not. there are objective standards of beauty, regardless of what postmodernists say.

on that tip, have you ever looked at postmodern art? it's ugly af. this is why it clings to the tired "it's all subjective" argument. it's the only way to justify ugly looking hackneyed crap.

By your logic DS is beautiful and Metro and Control are ugly. Ok, I guess.

skneogaf

I am surprised this isn't native 4k@60fps.

I've been watching YouTube videos and twitch streams now and again and feel with the recent power showing of the ps5 that it could be played at native with a patch or two.

Top Bottom