• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - RETRO: Mortal Kombat - The Legend, The Arcade Tech, The Console Ports

Hotspurr

Banned
Cool video.
The last MK I played was 9 I believe, and after that they just didn't feel that much fun.
Not sure if they intentionally keep the clunky combat to different the game play or they don't want to take risks with a formula that works.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i never cared about the first MK1 was always way more into mk3.
This will be an interesting watch!

thanks

RAIDEN1

Did you know? One of the few consoles that didn't get a port of MK was the 3DO! In fact it never saw any of the 3 games between 1992-1996 .....

stranno

Dominik Diamond was waaaaay better host for GameMaster than Dexter Fletcher's on-drugs attitude. And that was just his first episode..

Saber

Gold Member
Lmao, I can't believe you put botleg MK2 for Famicom. Dude, I had this game and for years I though it was an original game hahaha:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Btw, I'm very impressed with how PC-Dos version of MK plays. Extremelly loyal...but makes me wonder why PC-Dos MK2 isn't the same.

Wonko_C

I though this was going to be about the original trilogy, so I was a bit bummed at first, but now I see why. The amout of work D dark10x (with help from Audi) seemingly put here looks insane. It just made 1 hour of my 3-hour trip fly! I'd love to see MK2 & MK3/UMK3/MKT covered in a similar fashion in the near future. :D

And is it just me? Or is there a sudden uptick in classic MK content being uploaded? Everytime that happens with a classic game it feels like some cool new release is around the corner. Could it be that the reported MK Collection Online will finally be the HD remakes we've been waiting for? You guys must know somethinggggggg. (Joking)

Last edited:

Kazza

Looks like Sega CD won this round (despite the annoying loading on the final boss):

tenor.gif

Great video.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I though this was going to be about the original trilogy, so I was a bit bummed at first, but now I see why. The amout of work D dark10x (with help from Audi) seemingly put here looks insane. It just made 1 hour of my 3-hour trip fly! I'd love to see MK2 & MK3/UMK3/MKT covered in a similar fashion in the near future. :D

And is it just me? Or is there a sudden uptick in classic MK content being uploaded? Everytime that happens with a classic game it feels like some cool new release is around the corner. Could it be that the unnanounced MK Collection Online will finally be the HD remakes we've been waiting for? You guys must know somethinggggggg. (Joking)
Well something is brewing, though I have been half-tempted to get the Arcade Kollection pack for the 360.....even after all these years of release there still isn't anything like it on the PS4/Xbox 1 etc....and it isn't backward compatible either..

RAIDEN1

It's very strange that it didn't. I wonder what the reason was?
Well there is (albeit limited) info around that there was going to be a port of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for the 3DO, and wasn't far off completion but for one reason or the other got cancelled... saying that though circa 1996 the 3DO was essentially dead....hell even the Amiga be it the 1200 or the much hyped at the time CD32 didn't see any iterations of MK3 either...

Last edited:

Fake

Glad I managed to finish this! Took six days of work to get it all together but I love seeing all those ports side by side. They're all so different!
IMO is one of your finest work yet. Match with Doom RETRO. You're did an amazing job.
You even showed a bootleg version of Mortal Kombat 2 by Yoko with is popular here in Brazil and I played A LOT.
Really strike on heart this nostaugic feel.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
its hard to describe just how huge Mortal Kombat was in the 90s. i remember going to pep rallies in high school where they were doing routines to the Immortals theme song. it was everywhere.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

I've always regretted choosing SNES MK1 over Super Mario All-Stars, but I couldn't pinpoint exactly why. I never knew it had bad input delay until now, heh.

Last edited:

McCheese

What an enjoyable watch, I generally enjoy all the DF Retro stuff but I felt like this video really raised the bar in terms of research and presentation. Loved the little sub-zero comparison and detailed break-down of how they tried to cram it onto the underpowered platforms.

The only thing it didn't really cover was how Midway treated the arcade version as an evolving platform, they frequently updated the ROM chips on the board to add new features, secrets etc, often as a direct response to rumours!

It underwent 6 major revisions, plus various minor ones. You couldn't fight reptile in the first two revisions, but Midway added him into the rev3.0 board after hearing the rumours players were circulating about a third ninja. Ermac's was added in a similar fashion as when the boards would crash it would say "Ermac xxx" (error macro) and players then speculated about him being another hidden fighter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom