• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY/SIE: The Balance Of Chasing Margins, Multiplat Expansion, And Maximizing The Console

What areas do you want Sony to focus more on (select all that apply)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woopah

I'd also say that even tho Wii U didn't sell that well, the software sold very well. Maybe the best attach rate for a console ever when looking at the 1P.

The real reason MS are going more 3P isn't due to declining Series console sales, but the collapse of B2P and MTX/add-on content sales of games in global markets. That's where they would have counted on making up for hardware losses and the numbers are just dead.

IMO the reason SIE seem to be going with this multiplat strategy isn't because people aren't buying their games on console. Some tried saying Rift Apart was a failure; it sold 4 million prior to the PC port. Spiderman 2 is probably at 15 million by this point. GOW Ragnarok is probably around 20 million.

No the reason is because of greedy investors & shareholders pushing the BoD to chase "infinite growth" at all costs instead of maintaining stability. This is why I hate publicly-traded companies, especially those where close family members aren't calling the shots (like with Nintendo, where the family own the controlling shares and seats among BoD). Valve doesn't have to worry about chasing "growth" because they are privately owned.

Sometimes I wonder if SIE (and even Xbox, for that matter) would have been better off as a spun off, privately owned entity. I can't shake the feeling that some of the decisions they've made which are setting the stage to destabilize and decline their console brand over the long-term, are going to be aggressively accelerated maybe even starting this year. Little reason for me to be optimistic for otherwise unless (or until) SIE start showing it through actions & initiatives.

While I don't think that's the best path for maintaining peak relevancy of their console hardware, it feels more and more likely that Sony will do as you're hoping.

So congrats on the games that'll likely start coming your way a lot quicker.
As long as the games keep coming to PlayStation, I don't think their more multiplat strategy is going to do too much damage to the brand. I think they only need to wait a year before they port to PC, rather than 4-6.

On the Nintendo front, I believe the Yamakuchi family owns a very very tiny portion of the shares. Management of Nintendo still has to answer to institutional investors and has an investment plan to get that infinite growth, like Sony does.

Its just that their three-part growth strategy is more focused on expanding their brands to more people, than it is expanding their individual games to more people.

I'd also say that even tho Wii U didn't sell that well, the software sold very well. Maybe the best attach rate for a console ever when looking at the 1P.

The real reason MS are going more 3P isn't due to declining Series console sales, but the collapse of B2P and MTX/add-on content sales of games in global markets. That's where they would have counted on making up for hardware losses and the numbers are just dead.

IMO the reason SIE seem to be going with this multiplat strategy isn't because people aren't buying their games on console. Some tried saying Rift Apart was a failure; it sold 4 million prior to the PC port. Spiderman 2 is probably at 15 million by this point. GOW Ragnarok is probably around 20 million.

No the reason is because of greedy investors & shareholders pushing the BoD to chase "infinite growth" at all costs instead of maintaining stability. This is why I hate publicly-traded companies, especially those where close family members aren't calling the shots (like with Nintendo, where the family own the controlling shares and seats among BoD). Valve doesn't have to worry about chasing "growth" because they are privately owned.

Sometimes I wonder if SIE (and even Xbox, for that matter) would have been better off as a spun off, privately owned entity. I can't shake the feeling that some of the decisions they've made which are setting the stage to destabilize and decline their console brand over the long-term, are going to be aggressively accelerated maybe even starting this year. Little reason for me to be optimistic for otherwise unless (or until) SIE start showing it through actions & initiatives.

While I don't think that's the best path for maintaining peak relevancy of their console hardware, it feels more and more likely that Sony will do as you're hoping.

So congrats on the games that'll likely start coming your way a lot quicker.
Well, of course attach rate for WiiU was great. Just their die hards who play Mario, Zelda games picked up the system. There were no casuals in audience who would skip those games.

Xbox is in a completely different situation that is much safer for the brand. Even if they face a WiiU level disaster in future hardware, they can keep investing in games cause other platforms will make up for it.

Nintendo had to give up on system pre maturely.

Top Bottom