• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Turok Dinosaur Hunter - How An N64 Classic Evolved The Console FPS.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

DF Retro is back with a deep dive into one of the most technically impressive console games of its period - Turok Dinosaur Hunter's reputation may have diminished in the last 20 years, but in some respects it challenged and even exceeded the mighty Quake. John takes us back in time, along with a special mystery guest star...

Fake

Old, but gold. A quite boring game IMO, but still is a N64 game. I almost get one when I was a kid. What is funny is I actually in the same day tried to get both Turok 64 and Hexen 64, I dunno what magic John used here but what a funny coincidence. Great video as always D dark10x

daveonezero

Banned
I thought it was cool back then. If you played goldeneye with c buttons to strafe and move and the middle stick to aim it was basically like modern shooter controls.

Nethernova

Turok is considered a classic now wtf it was average at best even back then.

Man, yes. Seriously, So much time and effort wasted on this average ass game. I get John loves/loved it and its his choice, but just feels like a waste of time and effort.

Reactions: TLZ

GenericUser

That game gave me motion sickness. I almost had to vomit after playing this game for like 20 minutes. Must have been that shaky camera and that thick fog that was like 25m away. That games wasn't a great shooter, it only created so much buzz because it was a early N64 exclusive.

Last edited:

Poordevil

I loved the jungle setting, and the music that went along with it. The drum beat and the music nailed that primitive theme.

Swimming was great in the game. Not only could you swim, but dive deep to discover new pathways, areas and secrets.

Temple ruins were cool. Never knew what you would run into passing through those ancient corridors and shafts. I remember being impressed with the attention to detail when I looked up and saw cobwebs in the corner, hehe.

At the time I thought the fog was kind of ambient. Very fitting for a humid, steamy jungle. The fog never bothered me.

You could climb cliffs, cross rope suspension bridges, run, jump and the animations were smooth and the action was fast. Not just shooting, blood and gore, but searching, exploring and discovery. You could even hunt game for health.

There was a lot to like about Turok. There was room for improvement and I held out a lot of anticipation for the sequel. But for me it was all downhill after Dinosaur Hunter. I thought the game was awesome!

Doczu

Turok was big only because it was released when N64 was starving for games. It was ok at best.

Now the seauel, Turok 2 is something else. Way better in every regard.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, yes. Seriously, So much time and effort wasted on this average ass game. I get John loves/loved it and its his choice, but just feels like a waste of time and effort.
Nah, that’s exactly why it’s worthy of my time. The less than stellar reputation it has, I feel, is undeserved. I think it’s a genuinely great game - not average at all.

That’s one my goals with DF Retro, is to examine games like this that maybe aren’t the most popular and at least share my reasons for loving them. It’s definitely not for everyone and I’m sure most wont agree with me, but that’s OK! I grew up playing PC shooters even and I still love Turok.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

The ending to this game, with Turok’s funny looking rag doll run, is one of the more humorous memories of my late teen years.

As for the game itself, I thought it was alright, though I haven’t played it in a long, long time. That running animation at the end though...will live in my mind forever, lmao.

Vorg

Banned
Nah, that’s exactly why it’s worthy of my time. The less than stellar reputation it has, I feel, is undeserved. I think it’s a genuinely great game - not average at all.

That’s one my goals with DF Retro, is to examine games like this that maybe aren’t the most popular and at least share my reasons for loving them. It’s definitely not for everyone and I’m sure most wont agree with me, but that’s OK! I grew up playing PC shooters even and I still love Turok.

Thanks for another great video. I don't think people realize how forward thinking this game's features were at the time. A console FPS where you could jump, climb, swim and just do basic platforming like a 3rd person adventure game was not common at the time. Plus it had great graphics and animation and a control scheme that would only become standard like 2 console generations later.

Last edited:

Inviusx

Tin foil hat time, this is the third or fourth reference to something Turok related this week.

Announcement incoming?

molasar

Banned
Announcement incoming?
A revival of Turok 2, the intended sequel to the 2008 reboot?

T2visionconceptart.jpg

Last edited:

Cattlyst

Got to admit I found it pretty good back in the day. Was the only game I had for my N64 for ages and there wasn't really anything else out at the time that interested me (well, apart from the obligatory Mario 64). That said, I wouldn't really put Turok on a pedestal. It was probably only so highly rated at the time because the release schedule on N64 was so barren! Great video though, John puts a lot of effort in and it shows.

Top Bottom