• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Men_in_Boxes just have an original thought?!

Was this an original thought or is nothing truly new under the sun?

• It's an original thought. I like it.

• No, people have known about this for some time.

• Your thought isn't even accurate. I'll tell you what's really going on.

• Why did you hit the POST THREAD button?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm watching an old John Wayne movie called Big Jake yesterday. In this movie, John Wayne plays a grandfather who teams up with his two sons to save his grandchild from a band of outlaws.

MV5BNzlhYjc5N2QtNzFmYy00YjFmLTk5ZDUtYmNhYzY2ZjRkZTMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMDUzNTI3._V1_.jpg

The whole movie is John Wayne showing up the younger generation. He's tougher than them. He's smarter than them. He demands their respect at every turn. Essentially, everyone under the age of 40 is an imbecile in it.

It was really striking how this movie would never get made today. But why?

Big Jake released in 1971. The way Big Jake makes most of its money is through ticket sales. Who's buying tickets in 1971? Men taking their families to the movie theater. 6 tickets is a nice chunk of change at the time and fathers are more likely to buy 6 tickets if the message in the movie is "respect your elders".

Today, families subscribe to 7 different streaming services and everyone in the house watches their own content. The younger generation is the most lucrative demo to go after so modern media caters to them. That means we get a bunch of 16 year old protagonists surrounded by older imbeciles.

Now is this an original thought or have people known about this for some time?

Btw, the first 8 minutes of Big Jake is f***ing awesome. The final 94 minutes was pretty meh. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Your thought isn't even accurate, but also people have known about this forever, and with 'this' I mean that all fiction is a product of its time, like how hollywood used to be filled with stories/scenes that revolved around illegal weed possession and getting busted over the tiniest fucking joint, but now that the legality around that has changed, so have the stories/scenes.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I envisioned this thread going differently.

People, you need to be more open to exchange. Come out of the darkness already.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Um, Top Gun Maverick is a movie where an older veteran pilot schools a bunch of cocky young hotshots who think they’re hot shit. Everything Everywhere All At Once features protagonists depicted in their 40s/50s. John Wick Chapter 4 wasn’t exactly young adult film material in the spirit of stuff like Hunger Games or Twilight. Nor Oppenheimer for that matter.

16 year olds are not the primary target audience for most films because they don’t have cash. You know what demographic has a lot of disposable income? Folks in their late 30s and beyond. It’s why you see so many remakes of properties from the 80s and 90s, stuff that these folks grew up with in an effort to cash in on childhood nostalgia. That’s why there’s another He-Man on Netflix, for better or worse.

Last edited:
Um, Top Gun Maverick is a movie where an older veteran pilot schools a bunch of cocky young hotshots who think they’re hot shit. Everything Everywhere All At Once features protagonists depicted in their 40s/50s. John Wick Chapter 4 wasn’t exactly young adult film material in the spirit of stuff like Hunger Games or Twilight. Nor Oppenheimer for that matter.

16 year olds are not the primary target audience for most films because they don’t have cash. You know what demographic has a lot of disposable income? Folks in their late 30s and beyond. It’s why you see so many remakes of properties from the 80s and 90s, stuff that these folks grew up with in an effort to cash in on childhood nostalgia. That’s why there’s another He-Man on Netflix, for better or worse.
While true in a sense, I feel like we still have fresh minds who are given a budget from time to time to make forward-thinking films. I remember seeing the stark difference in how movies shifted once a movie like The Matrix came out.

ReBurn

Gold Member
You're just used to a world where most media is aimed at making grown men look like incapable, bumbling fools.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If it’s any consolation, you got me to look at Fortnite, even won a battle royale match the other day. Pretty sure the first five folks I killed were bots though based on how dumb they played. Maybe all of them were.

I have to renegotiate my contract with Epic Games. I deserve slightly more than the 0 money I'm currently getting.

I will say, I think if you did a study, you'd see significantly more movies + TV shows where the older male protagonist is the hero compared to today. I don't think kids + women were as prized back then.

I limped out of the body bag you put me in covered in my own vomit.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I dunno if your findings are accurate, but I like the thought and I'll give it further consideration as I continue engaging with film.
Gen Z characters in movies are just unbearable (to me, stuck in the 2000s). Totally ruined that Scream soft reboot. I wish Talk to Me was made at least a decade ago.

It doesn't surprise me that someone who refers to themselves in third-person – and assumes that putting their name in a thread title is enough of a draw to get people to read it – has enough self-importance to believe that their take on a 53-year-old movie, which essentially boils down to "adults buy movie tickets but TV is watched by all ages", is somehow the first time anyone has ever thought of it.

I know everyone thinks they're the star of their own movie, but this isn't even one that fathers would take their families to see.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

OP as your Elder from here on out I'm going to demand your respect and deference as befits my station. In fact please refer to me as "Big Jake" going forward.

Top Bottom