• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you ever build a gaming PC? Would you do it again?

have you built a gaming PC? would you do it again?

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Consider me part of the first option. While troubleshooting some faulty components after the fact wasn't fun, actually setting the entire thing up via the motherboard, attaching the it to the case.... All that was so fun... except for connecting the front USB headers. That was a bitch.
I wouldn't mind building another one. Or two. Or three... I think I found my new job!

Yes, multiple times. There's no way I'd ever buy a pre-built; or a laptop, can you imagine actually spending money on a "gaming" laptop? Yuck
Basketball Wives Ugh GIF by VH1

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I have only ever built mine and my kids (he gets hand me down parts) I would never buy one. I trust myself more than anyone else is my general rule.

I_D

I've built dozens of PCs. I would absolutely never buy a pre-made PC unless I was super desperate. You just get such a massively-better deal if you build it yourself.

Building laptops, on the other hand, is far more annoying. I'd probably just go for a pre-built, if I was looking for one.

GHG

Gold Member
Built my first PC back in 2006 and have since built 4 others for myself and a whole bunch of others for friends and family.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I've built PCs, sure. These days, the number of companies that will put one together for you for no extra cost - and it will actually turn out good - just makes it not worth it to me. World's come a long way.

If you really enjoy the process then go for it, but I'm good, long past the point of enjoying it, just a chore now.

Mithos

Ever since Pentium II every desktop PC have been built and part picked by me.

So yes I have and yes I would build one again... Unless pre-build gets as good as a self-build and same price or cheaper.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I always build my own PC's. Been doing it for +25 years. I've once bought a pre-build because I could not find the single parts cheaper.

GreatnessRD

I tried to a build a PC recently and it went to shit. I mean, look at this shit!

Nz7xfyX.jpg

I don't know what the hell is what! Like what is this? It's not fucking working, that's for sure. Goddamn PC!
You don't understand the anxiety I got just looking at this, lol. BUT if it works, it works!

I've built 3 gaming rigs thus far and I love building PCs. And as stated above, building a lego set is harder than building a PC these days. Especially with Youtube and all the tutorials out there. Also to 64bitmodels 64bitmodels some USB/front panel connectors on certain PC cases now come attached as one. I hope they adopt that for all cases in the future, but I think NZXT cases come like that now. Can't remember exactly which brand it was, but I think its them.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Built my first PC in 2010 and my current one in 2019. Will build/upgrade a new one in a few years probably.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I've built dozens of them, and will continue to. My current one is a work of art to me and my favorite hobby. I'd dare say I spend more time building systems than playing them.

OZ9000

Banned
It's all fun and games until a component stops working and you have no idea what it is.

I've had motherboard and CPU issues on my current build. Had to replace both items.

lachesis

I built mine long time ago. Not a gaming rig, but a workstation + gaming included.

OC'ed it and still using it every day.
I like seeing what's inside, the parts that I chose and everything - good fun.

But I'd rather not do it again. It's time consuming and time is really the stuff that I don't have enough...
Not just building it, but installations, stability testing to make sure all's good.

However, I will do it again for the joy of it and feeling of accomplishments at the end of the project.

Senua

Gold Member
Yea I love putting things together, very satisfying in the end when it all works. Helps that it's a piss of piss n'all!

DaGwaphics

Mr Hyde Mr Hyde , don't worry you aren't the only one that failed the cable management part. As long as it all works and has some airflow, I say the hell with it. :messenger_beaming:

IMG-20220915-152755-736.jpg

Never had a problem with any of the components though, been purring along good since 2015 or thereabouts. A bit alarming how much dust is in there now. LOL

My biggest mistake was the Thermaltake Suppressor F1 case, guaranteed to not fit anything interesting in 2022.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Dang, they called it suppressor for a reason. I can only hope future graphics cards aren't as big as the 3090

In my defense it has room for an 11.8" 2.25 slot GPU, which was enough to fit basically everything available at the time. Even a dual fan 1080 would fit in there (I've only got a 960 in there it was a budget build from the jump). In 2022 it's founders editions or a select few of the EVGA tripple fan models that maybe you could exacto a couple of mm off of to fit. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Not to mention no room to cool the high wattage CPUs of today or even fit in a PSU large enough.

But compact cases were so popular at the time.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's fun. So much so, in fact, that I used to build a handful every year for friends, family and acquaintances. Not very busy these past few years for obvious reasons, but it's starting to pick up again.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

El Muerto

I build a new gaming pc every few years and will keep doing it until i die. Building one today is a lot easier than it was in the 90s. We didnt have youtube back then when we had to figure out how to set dip switches on PCI cards and jumpers on hard drives/disk drives using an ata cable. Inb4 boomer, am a millennial lol.

Crayon

I'd like a console-like pc that I don't have to build and had the advantages of being engineered as a complete thing. Doesn't look that's happening for a minute tho so my next upgrade will probably be a regular build. It's too bad, because I don't demand a ton of performance. Maybe on the next go there will be console style ones (let's face it, it's a laptop without a screen. half a laptop lol) with chunky apu's that can do the job.

zcaa0g

Banned
I'm picky, so I want to pick exactly the parts I want and do cable management the exact way I want it. The worst thing that can happen is bending the pins on the motherboard and that shouldn't happen with care and simple observation on how the proc goes on.

Leonidas

Building my own PC's for nearly a decade now with no plan on stopping.

I prefer it since I choose each part individually and I like frequent upgrades.

There have been some downsides though; troubleshooting issues has been a bad experience at times and I have done some boneheaded things as well, but even if things don't always go as planned it's a good learning experience.

DaGwaphics

I'd like a console-like pc that I don't have to build and had the advantages of being engineered as a complete thing. Doesn't look that's happening for a minute tho so my next upgrade will probably be a regular build. It's too bad, because I don't demand a ton of performance. Maybe on the next go there will be console style ones (let's face it, it's a laptop without a screen. half a laptop lol) with chunky apu's that can do the job.

Have you looked at the E Series from Zotac? Might be worth a look. Or maybe the larger nucs might work.

Guilty_AI

I have no prejudice against pre-builts or laptops, but i do prefer building them myself.

I tried to a build a PC recently and it went to shit. I mean, look at this shit!

Nz7xfyX.jpg

I don't know what the hell is what! Like what is this? It's not fucking working, that's for sure. Goddamn PC!
The cabinet should have an empty space on the other side. You pass the PSU cables through those holes covered with a rubber material so they're properly hidden on the other side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom