• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Alan Wake 2 - PlayStation 5 DF Tech Review - Remedy Raises The Bar Yet Again

Zathalus

Not exactly how this was started. It started because some were saying the differences aren't big. They are big but it doesn't mean the console version is suddenly shit. Then big became a generational difference, which doesn't even happen even across generations anymore. Spider-Man to Spider-Man 2 is most certainly not a generational improvement. This simply doesn't happen anymore.

Back on topic. Is it me or is there a problem with the path traced render?

image.png

image.png

image.png

Top is PT, second is RT, and bottom is raster. The shadows of the fence should be more diffused because the light source is quite far from it but it seems way too diffused for how strong the light still is in a small room. I can see them on the wooden plank near the fence but they almost disappear way too early.

I think I may also have spotted that in other areas where the PT shadows are too subtle.
It looks better in the game, you can still see the shadow but with such a weak light source and the thin fence shadows like that disappear. A flickering light does a poor job compared to direct sunlight. As you move the character around the shadows also react how it would in real life, changing apparent strength as you move around the light source.

Eltham-Tennis-Club-02.jpg

Last edited:

FireFly

So what was with all his videos comparing consoles to a 2060S? Turns out they were closer to a 2080 after all.
I thought the 2060 Super comparisons were in ray traced modes, starting with Watch Dogs: Legion. Alex said that for Control you needed a 2070 Super to match the performance w/RT but that was with much higher resolution reflections. So the 2060 Super is probably still a fair ballpark when RT is enabled. That's still "overperforming" relative to RDNA 2 PC parts.

DaGwaphics

Nice to see it runs great on the consoles. Looks like they basically used the XSS build for the performance mode. It goes to show you that just because a dev mentions that working on the XSS was difficult, it doesn't mean the final result is bad. XSS is represented really well in this one. Great job all around. I'll be sure to pick it up when it's $20. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

hlm666

I think I may also have spotted that in other areas where the PT shadows are too subtle.
Are both raytraced images using ray reconstruction? could it be that that has failed/bugged out. You should be able to toggle it for both modes in this.

Godfavor

Not exactly how this was started. It started because some were saying the differences aren't big. They are big but it doesn't mean the console version is suddenly shit. Then big became a generational difference, which doesn't even happen even across generations anymore. Spider-Man to Spider-Man 2 is most certainly not a generational improvement. This simply doesn't happen anymore.

Back on topic. Is it me or is there a problem with the path traced render?

image.png

image.png

image.png

Top is PT, second is RT, and bottom is raster. The shadows of the fence should be more diffused because the light source is quite far from it but it seems way too diffused for how strong the light still is in a small room. I can see them on the wooden plank near the fence but they almost disappear way too early.

PT is more accurate of how light behaves in real life, the diffused shadow of the fence is scattered across the scene as the thickness of the metal fence which is about 2-3mm isn't possible to cast a sharp shadow over a meter away. You can see that the metal fence on the ground is visible and after 20-30 cm it fades away.

Having a nicer effect with simpler shadows doesn't mean that is more accurate

Last edited:

Skifi28

The moment where discussions are about how a fence reacts to light sources is where RT and PT techniques kind of lose me. I get those saying there's a difference between on and off, it's there, it just seems "academic" much of the time. Like you have to stand still for 15 minutes and do math calculations in your head about how the objects in the scene would react based on the angle of the light source. If you just play the game normally, you would probably never know the difference and still end up impressed. Hell, sometimes you can do a direct comparison like a few posts above and some people will say one image is correct while others will pick the second. At that point, is a big portion of your framerate really worth it? I think developers have become masters at faking realistic lighting over the years to the point it's hard to care right now about PT. RT reflections are probably the technique that makes the biggest difference VS SSR.

Last edited:
Worse than Resident Evil 4 Remake ? People apparently didn't mind but, man was it bad for me, ruined the whole image quality...
-Hair ? Shimmering
-Trees and bushes ? shimmering
-rooftop tiles ? shimmering
-animal fur ? Uber shimmering

So, how bad is it in AW2 ?
Heck, I might as well wait for the PS5 Pro version, I'd hate to have my experience "ruined"

Cheers
Yes far worse than re4

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just noticed that shadows in quality mode sometimes bug out.
Look here. ps5, first one is quality mode, 2nd one is performance... but I only noticed that here? Maybe I didn't pay attention.
I've played 18 hours so far lol. I don't think that's the case everywhere
quality
zCid27K.jpg

performance
WXqSAUg.jpg

Quality
LmYugop.jpg

8TEXMjI.jpg

shamoomoo

I just noticed that shadows in quality mode sometimes bug out.
Look here. ps5, first one is quality mode, 2nd one is performance... but I only noticed that here? Maybe I didn't pay attention.
I've played 18 hours so far lol. I don't think that's the case everywhere
quality
zCid27K.jpg

performance
WXqSAUg.jpg

Quality
LmYugop.jpg

8TEXMjI.jpg
What do you mean? I can't see it in picture form that well,are the shadows moving?

Nice to see it runs great on the consoles. Looks like they basically used the XSS build for the performance mode. It goes to show you that just because a dev mentions that working on the XSS was difficult, it doesn't mean the final result is bad. XSS is represented really well in this one. Great job all around. I'll be sure to pick it up when it's $20. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

It doesn't though. Playing it on PS5.
Quality mode is a blurry slideshow on my OLED tv. Performance mode has a lot of noticable framedrops, also when you're just walking on your own in the forest. I would guess you're under 60fps almost half the time you're playing.
The overall quality of the graphics are good but there's a lot of shimmering / pixelation and the distant shadows don't look good (quality and performance mode).

DaGwaphics

It doesn't though. Playing it on PS5.
Quality mode is a blurry slideshow on my OLED tv. Performance mode has a lot of noticable framedrops, also when you're just walking on your own in the forest. I would guess you're under 60fps almost half the time you're playing.
The overall quality of the graphics are good but there's a lot of shimmering / pixelation and the distant shadows don't look good (quality and performance mode).

Sure, they used a lot of low settings and the heavy up scaling, but I still think it looks better than some other recent releases on console. That's too bad about the framerate, but I use a freesync monitor so it should be tolerable for me. I've looked at some videos of XSX performance mode and it seems like a lock, but maybe they just haven't been testing in the right spots.

Last edited:

Bojji

RT GI / Path Tracing is significant in games with dynamic TOD (Cyberpunk, Dying Light and etc.)

If the game is linear and has good baked lighting, than the difference is barely there.

This is the case with AW 2

Exactly this, real time GI makes the biggest difference in open world games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The shimmering on PS5 is horrendous and impossible to ignore.

Once again, Digital Foundry sugarcoats an issue with a hyped game. I know they mentioned it, but they didn't tell us how it has THE worst artifacting/shimmering of any game yet. By the time you get to NYC in the game you won't be able to ignore this. Rain and flashlight make it more noticeable.

Why does there always have to be something that ruins what otherwise would be amazing looking games lately? FSR2 is why I guess
Are you playing on Performance mode or Quality mode?

Do not play on performance mode. its is lower than 900p. play in 30 fps mode which is much higher resolution and should not have too much shimmering.

this is a 30 fps game. you dont need fast response times.

Are you playing on Performance mode or Quality mode?

Do not play on performance mode. its is lower than 900p. play in 30 fps mode which is much higher resolution and should not have too much shimmering.

this is a 30 fps game. you dont need fast response times.
Quality still has major shimmering.

Dzab

I know it's a bit vague, but is there any sort of general "optimised settings" list out there? The video goes through different settings, and an alternative to the PS5 options. But just wondering if the were any lists, or what people recommend? I have a 3080

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
How did you took these pictures? The games does not feature a photo mode.

Frans/Otis CameraTools

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

The hair and the character models in general are a very jarring at times against the wider visual presentation. They appear plasticy and the animation is a let down in my opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom