• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Alan Wake 2 - PlayStation 5 DF Tech Review - Remedy Raises The Bar Yet Again

DaGwaphics

This obsessive fanatic is the antithesis of professionalism, he is bordering caricatural levels with his incessant propaganda and crude manipulations. Sad to say but anyone who is regarding him as a legit and respectable authority on anything is out of touch with reality.

Or maybe he's just a PC master racer type with good hardware and acts the way 90% of people with a 4090 do when it comes to visuals.

Propaganda and manipulations, LOL. Did this guy run over your grandmother?

Last edited:

Luipadre

Alex is seriously getting on my nerves with his constant fanboy warring.

So what was with all his videos comparing consoles to a 2060S? Turns out they were closer to a 2080 after all. Who woulda thunk. The dude is gleeful when consoles perform badly. He's supposed to be a professional but isn't better than the average Gaf system warrior.

He is your typical pc masterrace Gaben worshipper guy. I bet he has Gaben pillow too

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
He is your typical pc masterrace Gaben worshipper guy. I bet he has Gaben pillows too

zUDXCNh.jpg

Interfectum

Dumb as shit this game isn't on Steam. Just makes it a pain in the ass to play this game on Steam Deck and Big Picture Mode on the TV. Both are totally possible but just annoying as fuck to setup.

JimboJones

To be fair as much as the pc master race stuff is dumb the other end of the spectrum is just as silly.
People post charts of graphics cards running at native resolutions at fully maxed out settings then point and laugh at an rtx3060 running at 12fps then proclaim " thank god I have a PS5/Series X" which is pretty laughable aswell.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just started playing. Holy shit it looks incredible!!!!
Ps5 quality mode here. Wow. Shadows look good too. I don’t understand the complaints. Really nice and diffused.

And the 30fps is the right kind. Heavy motion blur and so on. Feels almost as good as uncharted 4 or tlou2 at 30fps. Maybe but more sluggish. I am not even going to check 60. This is great

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So happy that remedy clearly made the PC version the lead platform, like they used to, and then ported down to the weaker consoles.

I'm about to make a cup of tea then I'm firing this bad boy up on my
It’s still very similar to what they did with control. Pc version got rtx support but the game was designed around ps4 specs.

The key here is not pushing rtx or native 4k on consoles which has allowed them to push the gpu for more visual fidelity.
To be fair as much as the pc master race stuff is dumb the other end of the spectrum is just as silly.
People post charts of graphics cards running at native resolutions at fully maxed out settings then point and laugh at an rtx3060 running at 12fps then proclaim " thank god I have a PS5/Series X" which is pretty laughable aswell.
Agreed. Only difference is Alex is supposed to be a professional. Not a system warrior on twitter.

OverHeat

« generous god »
It’s still very similar to what they did with control. Pc version got rtx support but the game was designed around ps4 specs.

The key here is not pushing rtx or native 4k on consoles which has allowed them to push the gpu for more visual fidelity.

Agreed. Only difference is Alex is supposed to be a professional. Not a system warrior on twitter.
Why is he supposed to be a pro…what qualifications do he have

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Ps5 quality mode here. Wow. Shadows look good too. I don’t understand the complaints. Really nice and diffused.

And the 30fps is the right kind. Heavy motion blur and so on. Feels almost as good as uncharted 4 or tlou2 at 30fps. Maybe but more sluggish. I am not even going to check 60. This is great
but what about teh............

E4k52L8XMAQ9eUj.jpg

Newari

hypocrisy at its finest

remember their 3070 6700xt 4060ti 16 gb comparison videos where they use weirds settings that bring 8 GB buffer to single digits just to prove a point, to a point 6800xt performs around 35 45 fps range and they call it playable and 3070 tanks to 15 digits and that's good for 6800xt? nice.

but when it is the other way around, 35 40 45 fps becomes unplayable! 60 fps is a minimum a must! the advantage doesn't matter anymore!! both is unplayable anyways!
WTF is that video... Dude bacically announces that if you are so peasant that you can't get a game running at native 1080p 60fps then you shouldn't even bother playing. Such elitist bullshit on top of the hypocrisy.

winjer

Gold Member
He is your typical pc masterrace Gaben worshipper guy. I bet he has Gaben pillow too

He is not.
Most PCMR gamers, prefer the PC as a platform and it's advantages.
But they also recognize that consoles have some strong advantages.
And quite a few also have consoles to complement the PC.

Yes, there are some PCMR members that go all out into the PC superiority spiel.
But these are just idiots and Alex fits right in with them.
He lacks objectivity and professionalism. And for all his PCMR spiel, he also lacks a lot in technical knowledge.

amigastar

From what i've seen 60 fps mode doesn't look much worse than 30.

SlimySnake

Alex is seriously getting on my nerves with his constant fanboy warring.

So what was with all his videos comparing consoles to a 2060S? Turns out they were closer to a 2080 after all. Who woulda thunk. The dude is gleeful when consoles perform badly. He's supposed to be a professional but isn't better than the average Gaf system warrior.

lol yep. Glad to see hes left the 2060 super comparisons behind even though MS themselves told him that the xsx was equivalent to a 2080 in their Gears 5 GPU benchmarks.

Now he's calling the 2080 low end which is funny because it was $700 high end GPU in 2018 and no one thought the PS5 and XSX would match its performance. Let alone have RT.

My favorite part of the tweets is how he brings up this 'unspoken idea' as proof that the discourse is bad. Well, if its unspoken so where is he getting it from? If its unspoken then its not being said. Which means its all in his head. We have a word for this... its called delusion. he has literally concocted this idea/scenario of consoles running games at ultra settings because even according to him, NO ONE IS SAYING IT.

absolutely hilarious. Especially coming from a guy who for half a year talked about the PS5 RT as being audio only leading Cerny to issue a correction then spent the next year downplaying it as something that will be done only for shadows. Now Insomniac is doing near PC level rt at native 4k 30 fps on buildings, cars, puddles, entire water bodies, on that same hardware he gleefully pointed out couldnt do reflections within reflections just three years ago.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Look no further than the last few pages where a poster seriously tried to argue that you need $1500 USD to match a PS5.

yamaci17

WTF is that video... Dude bacically announces that if you are so peasant that you can't get a game running at native 1080p 60fps then you shouldn't even bother playing. Such elitist bullshit on top of the hypocrisy.
yeah imagine having a "gotcha moment" after a midrange card at its time that costed 400 bucks back in july 2019 fails to deliver a good ray tracing experience 4 years later. here it is, 4 years after, "AS WE SAID RAY TRACING IS OBSOLETE FOR THESE GPUS!!! MIGHT AS WELL GET AN AMD CARD! YOU SHOULD'VE GOTTEN AN AMD CARD AS WE SUGGESTED" all the experiences you had those 4 years does not matter, apparently.

having 4 years of ray tracing goodness on such a card is ANYTHING but great. You can pretty much play any ray traced titles at respectable image quality at 1440p/dlss with 40+ FPS between games that is released in 2019 and 2022. somehow the past experiences do not matter. somehow 2060 super should've lasted with meaningfull ray tracing experience for... HOW MANY YEARS?? like what did they expect it to last forever? last 5+ years? its not even a 70 tier card. of course it will falter after 3-4 years. it played ray tracing in games like cyberpunk, doom eternal, spiderman, metro exodus enhanced, quake, half life, crysis, control and many more. if you think all of these were not worth the price of a 3-4 years of good experience, I don't know what kind of a delusional world they're in. I'm not even delving into the goodies 2060 super provided to its user in this 4 year span (and will keep being revelant for the future) with reflex, DLDSR and DLSS itself.

what is funnier that 1080p dlss quality provides native 1080p taa-like image clarity and image quality. they're pretty on par. yet he somehow makes it sound like native 1080p taa is this pristine, clean presentation whereas dlss quality makes it muddy. quite disingenuous, and pretty disgusting. here's proof

1080p dlss quality is NOT shitty because it is upscaling from 720p. it is shitty because it is upscaling to 1080p. it is as good as 1080p can be. nothing more, nothing less. if he wants to shit on 1080p dlss quality, HE MUST shit on the native 1080p taa to begin with. because that is what native 1080p users will have to play with. and if he thinks 1080p dlss quality looks like shit, he should openly admit 1080p taa itself is shit and maybe call out devs on that? yet I never heard any of them saying "this is a 1080p card but don't buy it. because 1080p is shitty."

To be fair, 1080p users themselves also fall to the same pitfall. it is AS SOFT AS 1080p native taa is IN MOST CASES. DLSS at %67 scaling will provide native-TAA matching image clarity in all resolutions unless developer botched the upscaling implementation. yet people enable it, look at it "oh it looks like shit", turn it off and go back to native 1080p taa that also looks like shit, but they psychologically feel more secure because they think they're not rendering at 720p and even if there's a softness to the image, at least they will sleep sound knowing that they didn't play the game at supposed 720p. this is a huge problem and even caused practically a false perception that dlss is horrible at 1080p (it is not). if you just take notice, 1080p native taa is also horrible. 1080p dlss quality is just as much as horrible it is. if SOMEONE thinks a game looks good at 1080p native TAA, they should not have (technically) a problem with 1080p dlss quality's presentation, as they look similar. and at that point, it indeed becomes a free performance boost that gives a massive advantage to the card that supports DLSS

yet here they're shitting on 1080p dlss quality at every chance they got. they're creating this perception of "dlss being shit at 1080p and therefore not being a purchase decision factor if you're buying a 1080p oriented GPU, hence it is pointless to have a 1080p oriented DLSS card. might as well get an AMD card!" logic.

like what do they want? what do they mean that 1080p dlss quality looks unplayable and shit? they should simply admit 1080p native taa is unplayable and shit then. why attack on dlss when it is the 1080p itself looks shitty?

Last edited:

Gaiff

Why is he supposed to be a pro…what qualifications do he have
He works for a media outlet and that's his job, aka, his profession, so yes, he should be a pro in the sense of acting like a professional and not a system fanboy.

Zuzu

Hmm, not completely accurate. He’s right that many settings did run at low and lower than low but many settings ran at medium or above. The all important texture setting ran at ultra. These were One X equivalent PC settings for RDR2:

l3zM9j9.jpg

Last edited:

yamaci17

lol yep. Glad to see hes left the 2060 super comparisons behind even though MS themselves told him that the xsx was equivalent to a 2080 in their Gears 5 GPU benchmarks.

Now he's calling the 2080 low end which is funny because it was $700 high end GPU in 2018 and no one thought the PS5 and XSX would match its performance. Let alone have RT.

My favorite part of the tweets is how he brings up this 'unspoken idea' as proof that the discourse is bad. Well, if its unspoken so where is he getting it from? If its unspoken then its not being said. Which means its all in his head. We have a word for this... its called delusion. he has literally concocted this idea/scenario of consoles running games at ultra settings because even according to him, NO ONE IS SAYING IT.

absolutely hilarious. Especially coming from a guy who for half a year talked about the PS5 RT as being audio only leading Cerny to issue a correction then spent the next year downplaying it as something that will be done only for shadows. Now Insomniac is doing near PC level rt at native 4k 30 fps on buildings, cars, puddles, entire water bodies, on that same hardware he gleefully pointed out couldnt do reflections within reflections just three years ago.
it is not delusion, he's probably triggered by people who say "well they list 3080ti for medium, then imma go play it console". people do not think in "settings" when it comes to consoles. this creates the perception that xbox series x will provide a better experience than 3080ti somehow. and for that to happen, console should be gunning for high, ultra settings, no?

that is the core of the problem

that unspoken idea is very much true. even a friend of mine refuse to get the game on PC because apparently they don't want to play at medium on their 3070. they will choose their PS5.

people just simply think the game will look fine on console, okay? and when it comes to PC, low or medium means degration and desolation. that is the core of the problem. that is why he gets triggered lol. I also get triggered by the very same thing and even get into heated arguments with my friends. some of them are too thick headed that refuse to reduce the damn settings.

it is a psychological thing, really. not being knowledgable or not knowing what so called "preset" a game is running at.

imagine rdr2 on xbox one x. low, med high mixed settings, yeah? and it looks fantastic. does any one x user are aware of these settings, hell no.

but on PC? some folks would lose their minds instead of using those settings on their then-mid tier hardware like 1060 and 1070

these videos where textures are also set to low and medium alongside with low and medium settings do not help it either. having low and medium textures in most cases turn the game into absolute garbage. and it also helped creating this perception.

you can set textures to medium in rdr2 and all other raster settings to ultra and it will look horrible. if you use low raster settings with ultra textures, it will still retain its beauty. but this is impossible to explain to some people for some reason

Last edited:

Gaiff

He is not.
Most PCMR gamers, prefer the PC as a platform and it's advantages.
But they also recognize that consoles have some strong advantages.
And quite a few also have consoles to complement the PC.

Yes, there are some PCMR members that go all out into the PC superiority spiel.
But these are just idiots and Alex fits right in with them.
He lacks objectivity and professionalism. And for all his PCMR spiel, he also lacks a lot in technical knowledge.
No PC gamer who isn't an idiot uses the term PCMR seriously. It was a tongue-in-cheek joke from Zero Punctuation that has made it into the common tongue but its still meant not to be taken literally. You're just a PC gamer. PCMR is for mocking people who seriously think consoles are for peasants and these guys really exist. Alex seems to be one of them.

SlimySnake

it is not delusion, he's probably triggered by people who say "well they list 3080ti for medium, then imma go play it console". people do not think in "settings" when it comes to consoles. this creates the perception that xbox series x will provide a better experience than 3080ti somehow. and for that to happen, console should be gunning for high, ultra settings, no?

that unspoken idea is very much true. even a friend of mine refuse to get the game on PC because apparently they don't want to play at medium on their 3070. they will choose their PS5.

people just simply think the game will look fine on console, okay? and when it comes to PC, low or medium means degration and desolation. that is the core of the problem. that is why he gets triggered lol. I also get triggered by the very same thing and even get into heated arguments with my friends. some of them are too thick headed that refuse to reduce the damn settings.

it is a psychological thing, really. not being knowledgable or not knowing what so called "preset" a game is running at.

imagine rdr2 on xbox one x. low, med high mixed settings, yeah? and it looks fantastic. does any one x user are aware of these settings, hell no.

but on PC? some folks would lose their minds instead of using those settings on their midtier hardware like 1060 and 1070

these videos where textures are also set to low and medium alongside with low and medium settings do not help it either. having low and medium textures in most cases turn the game into absolute garbage. and it also helped creating this perception.

you can set textures to medium in rdr2 and all other raster settings to ultra and it will look horrible. if you use low raster settings with ultra textures, it will still retain its beauty. but this is impossible to explain to some people for some reason
I think PC gamers are some of the most knowledgeable gamers around. most dont think like this. Especially when they are capable of building their PCs. Do you really think they would pick the PS5 version over the 3070Ti in most cases? Your friend sounds like an edge case. I refuse to believe most PC gamers paid $700 for a 3070ti just two years ago and are now buying these games at a full $60 on the PS5 when they could get it from GMG for $41. Forget specs and performance, pc gamers look at everything and are much more knowledgable than your average console gamer.

Senua

but on PC? some folks would lose their minds instead of using those settings on their midtier hardware like 1060 and 1070

Yea I have friends that upgrade their PCs a lot more than me because they refuse to reduce settings from max, they always want the top experience. They're aware consoles also use lower settings at least though. But on PC there is a definitely something in a lot of people that just doesn't let them compromise. I'm glad I can be smart about this shit and save myself wasting hundreds of dollars

OverHeat

« generous god »
Yea I have friends that upgrade their PCs a lot more than me because they refuse to reduce settings from max, they always want the top experience. They're aware consoles also use lower settings at least though. But on PC there is a definitely something in a lot of people that just doesn't let them compromise. I'm glad I can be smart about this shit and save myself wasting hundreds of dollars
I’m part of this problem

yamaci17

I think PC gamers are some of the most knowledgeable gamers around. most dont think like this. Especially when they are capable of building their PCs. Do you really think they would pick the PS5 version over the 3070Ti in most cases? Your friend sounds like an edge case. I refuse to believe most PC gamers paid $700 for a 3070ti just two years ago and are now buying these games at a full $60 on the PS5 when they could get it from GMG for $41. Forget specs and performance, pc gamers look at everything and are much more knowledgable than your average console gamer.
no idea, but surely they're vocal

like this "ign" executive editor dude that has 150k followers. he thinks he is better off playing alan wake on his series x rather than his 3080ti. that is some serious level of bullshit. it is no wonder guys like alex gets triggered. i'm quite certain he was specifically triggered at this tweet (as it comes from a prominent person who works at ign)

Skifi28

like this "ign" executive editor dude that has 150k followers. he thinks he is better off playing alan wake on his series x rather than his 3080ti. that is some serious level of bullshit. it is no wonder guys like alex gets triggered. i'm quite certain he was specifically triggered at this tweet (as it comes from a prominent person who works at ign)

"guy with many followers spreading bullshit angry at other guy with many followers spreading bullshit."

Zuzu

I think for some people it's an extreme case of FOMO. They feel that unless they get the absolute best experience graphically then they're missing out on something really important. Often however the difference between ultra settings and high or even medium is not incredibly large. Sometimes it's possible to play on high/medium and get 90-95% of the graphical experience of ultra. Missing out on that 5-10% of graphical fidelity often doesn't result in a qualitatively less pleasurable gaming experience imo. But I guess it's dependent on the person and the game. Some people must experience the best of the best.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

well thats absolutely retarded i agree. but its not unspoken. Alex couldve corrected him at any point and since they both work in the industry, sent him a DM or an email to clear up the fact that his GPU is roughly 2x more powerful than the xsx and should do ray tracing as well.

Giles

Just downloading on ps5 now. I usually go for performance modes or even 40fps on the likes of Spider-Man if it’s on offer but I’m thinking fidelity mode might be the way to go here?

I’m playing on a Sony AJ80 so hopefully it looks okay in motion on an OLED 😬

Mr Moose

He can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

IGNs Wish version Shaggy strikes again.

SlimySnake

It's difficult to spend almost a thousand dollars then being told to downgrade the settings lmao.

That said, i found out a long time ago (Thanks to gaffers) that ultra is simply never optimized and you should never have anything than maybe textures at ultra settings. I simply set my game to high settings in demanding games like starfield, enable dlss 4k quality and forget about everything else since i get a fantastic looking game at 60 fps. plan to do the same with Alan wake 2 later today.

Also RTX is a gigantic waste of resources in many games. I turned it off in Hogwarts, RE4, Gotham Knights, Forza, and was actually able to run the game at ultra settings. tlou pc after patches i can run most settings at ultra too. You just need to work around the vram limitations but turning down 2-3 settings on high does the trick.

winjer

Gold Member

But we also have to consider that the minimum requirements that Remedy published were insane, and didn't even represent the real performance.
From what we all saw from those, this game was set to be a terrible PC port. And this scared a lot of people.
Fortunately, the game runs much better than announced by Remedy.

SlimySnake

But we also have to consider that the minimum requirements that Remedy published were insane, and didn't even represent the real performance.
From what we all saw from those, this game was set to be a terrible PC port. And this scared a lot of people.
Fortunately, the game runs much better than announced by Remedy.
this is true. but ryan shouldve deduced that it also meant the xsx would perform equally bad. unless he was told the internal resolutions of the xsx by remedy beforehand.

winjer

Gold Member
this is true. but ryan shouldve deduced that it also meant the xsx would perform equally bad. unless he was told the internal resolutions of the xsx by remedy beforehand.

Plenty of PC ports that run like shit, but run much better on consoles.
So most people were already fearing another bad PC port, because what Remedy published was far from reality.

Three

Looking pretty amazing.
Tbh I expected RT to be more transformative.
Shadows are improved vastly, but sometimes reflections look a bit off.
Like in this this scene below. With super clean reflection, simplified car model stands out. And it dosnt seem to reflect atmospherics. You have foggy/misty and yet reflection look like clear, sunny day, and its actually brighter than scene itself.
53287445931_fbcce622cqvdto.png
Yeah, transparent materials don't reflect well in RT. Look at the car back windshield or lights it looks hideous because it's missing. Honestly I think SSR would have looked better in this shot. Maybe use RT reflections to fill in details where SSR data isn't visible.

Senua

It's difficult to spend almost a thousand dollars then being told to downgrade the settings lmao.
I dno, there's always a compromise. Even if I could max a game out I won't because I want more framerate on my 165hz monitor, Ultra settings (minus textures) are almost always a waste like you say

Top Bottom