• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Armored Core 6 - DF Tech Review - The Elden Ring Engine Returns on PS5/Xbox Series X/S

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

A surprise package for some, Armored Core 6 is a simply excellent game - but what's the best way to experience it on consoles? Tom Morgan checks out all graphics modes on the current generation of consoles - and examines the improved performance offered by running the PS4 Pro version under back compat on PlayStation 5.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- "Completely different beast from Elden Rings"
- Uses the same engine / tech from Elden Rings per Lance Mcdonald
- This comparison does not cover last gen versions

Visuals:
- Current consoles all have 3 graphical modes
- Frame Rate and Quality mainly differ in resolution
- Quality runs mainly at fixed 2160p with TAA.
- Frame rate uses DRS with max of 2160p and lows of 1512p (same as Elden Ring)
- PS5 and SX have the same metrics and DF recommends using frame rate mode
- The only real difference between Quality and Frame rate mode is shadow quality settings (which also change dynamically)
- The DRS changes can take a second or two to kick in, so there are still drops in the meantime.
- Cut-scenes all always run in 4K.

- Third mode is RT mode. Only effects the garage area. Series S also includes this mode.
- RT AO and potentially RT shadows in this mode. The use isn't radical but eh.

- Series S: Quality: Fixed 1440p. Performance: DRS 1440p with lows of 1008p.
- Same dynamic shadow quality scale also applies to Series S.
- Series S also has other cut-backs like lower draw, texture quality etc compared to SX and PS5
- "In general holds up pretty well visually, but makes concessions to hit frame rate"

Performance:
- All modes are unlocked to 60 FPS
- Quality mode: Generally runs 30~45 FPS. VRR will struggle as game often drops below range. Can sometimes drop to high 20's as well.
- PS5 and SX have "near parity" with PS5 having 1~2 FPS advantage.
- Performance mode: Large chunks at 60 FPS with some drops in sudden camera changes or stress areas
- DF thinks a fixed resolution instead of DRS would have prevented these spikes
- "Without question, the better way to enjoy the game" re: Frame rate mode
- One stress boss brings the consoles down to mid 40s

PS4 code on PS5:
- On PS5, you can run the PS4 code to gain a huge net improvement in average performance
- "Tightest lock at 60" with barely a dip in general play.
- The catch is that you run the game at 1800p with checker board (i-e 1600x1800p) but TAA does a good job
- Expect last gen visual hitches like sub pixel break up and settings even lower than Series S.
- Final image lacks the definition of the current gen but some things like shadow quality and SSR are similar to new gen
- PS4 version doesn't have camera motion blur so subjectively this might be a pro or a con
- The same stress areas as above can also bring this version down to the 40s, so there is no 100% locked 60 FPS Mode.

Series S:
- Performance mode:Often runs between 45~60 with closer to upper end.
- However, it has more drops and lurches than other console versions.
- The stress boss area can drop it to 40s and even under

- Quality mode: Barely above 30. Strider battle can drop to mid 20s.
- Stick to frame rate mode here.

Conclusion:
- PS4 on PS5 is the best performing version, otherwise PS5/SX's performance mode is the best way to play.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
"PS5 and SX have "near parity" with PS5 having 1~2 FPS advantage."
Stare Down Floyd Mayweather GIF

Another "runs at locked 60fps trust me bro" console game that drops to the 40s.

I think the IGN said something like locked 60fps and never once drops below while I could see the footage stuttering in the background.

To be fair it seems mostly fine but never trust reviewers when it comes to performance.

Darsxx82

It's so wierd they refuse to put a frame cap on Quality Mode
10 games later and Fromsoftware still hasn't understood...

Curious that there are assets (shadows in this case) that change dynamically in addition to the resolution. In general it is a good idea as long as it is done subtly. In this case it's not very subtle though.

PS5 and XSX are not perfect but the result has been improved compared to EldenRing. Especially in the case of XSX.

XSS quite decent compared to XSX and PS5 and, especially, compared to the ports of other recently released games.

GHG

PS4 on PS5 strikes again.

So glad this is butter smooth on PC, best PC version fromsoft have ever done. Having a blast (and my ass handed to me).

killatopak

Gold Member
Barely noticed a hiccup in mine but I was running PS4 version as per Elden Ring.

Definitely improved their performance. Not perfect but we’re getting there. Excruciatingly slow but getting there especially on the PC front.

Sleepwalker

The PC version is incredible. Getting a basically locked 120fps at 3440x1440 or around 108-120fps at 4k with vrr maxed out. Can't imagine playing this under 60 with drops to 40

Fbh

Not perfect but large chunks at 60fps, the vast majority of the game running between 50-60fps (within the VRR window) and decent real resolutions (instead of FSR over a 720p base like so many recent games) is still pretty decent.

While a 30fps lock option would be a nice option.
The good thing about this solution is that moving forward (pro consoles or Ps6) this should run at 60fps in quality mode without having to wait for an official patch

Last edited:

Tsaki

Unless they put a frame cap setting where the user toggles on or off, it's better this way imo. In this case future backwards compatibility on mid-gen or next-gen hardware can play the game at 4K/60 instead of having to choose between fps and graphics.

Top Bottom