• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Deathloop PC vs PS5, Optimised Settings, Performance Testing + More

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It is.

The 6600 XT’s rasterization performance is strong and it can clearly handle 1080p ray tracing today, but AMD’s rather conservative positioning for the card, combined with the evidence we found for memory bandwidth bottlenecks, leaves us uncertain about its long-term strengths. If you just bought a high-end 1080p monitor and you know you won’t be upgrading, buy in confidence. Everyone else may want to think it over.

If it were bandwidth bottlenecked, why would it be getting slightly better results then the 5700xt with its 448GB/s bandwidth?

Guilty_AI

If it's not about performance what is it about?
tit mods for one

Bodyslide-and-Outfit-Studio.jpg

ACESHIGH

Banned
The game averages under 30fps at 1080p, ultra on RX 580 with 5800X.

I agree it doesn't look anything spectacular to run like that but it is what it is...

Yeah but that does not mean it needs such a CPU to run at 30 FPS. Its mainly a GPU bound game as long as you have a 4 thread CPU or more. With 8 GB of RAM you may get some stutter from time to time, specially with a 4GB VRAM GPU but if you enable a pagefile with an SSD you can somewhat mitigate it.

Deathloop PC Performance Analysis (dsogaming.com)

Similar to GodFall I am not seeing anything next gen with this game outside of RT.

Last edited:
It's funny.
Every week we see these endless discussions about how powerful is the PS5. Or better said, how much weaker it really is compared to an entry level GPU... But you don't see these same discussions and comparisons with the SeX, even though up to now it lost more than won against the PS5.
Curious.

Md Ray

I think it's more about pushing visuals for them. I mean, if you got it flaunt it.
It's about pushing both CPU + GPU (visuals) for them. I've seen the leaked TLoU 2 builds where they had CPU (and GPU) utilization metric showing on screen, you'd be surprised to see just how many simple scenes during gameplay, with not a lot going on in them, were using 25-28 ms of CPU time constantly... So between 40-35fps. Only during the cut-scenes the CPU would shoot up to 16-15 ms (60+fps), only to be limited by the GPU which would generally take around 20-25ms (50-40fps) of GPU time.

In busier sections with combat and gun fight there were even occasions where the PS4's GPU had headroom to push closer to 50fps, but it's the CPU that was dragging the framerate down to 30fps and even below that.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Maybe the higher clock speed you dismissed earlier?
I don't know, ask Lisa Su.

If it were higher clock speeds causing the improved performance we would see even greater gains because the ram setup is not causing a bottleneck. Also If you dont know, why are you telling me im wrong?

Mr Moose

Oh nothing. My mistake. PC gaming = ps5 gaming but more expensive, so the only reason to play on pc is if you like to waste more money...
Depends on the PC.
But yeah, PC gaming... (assuming you're mostly gaming with it) harware-wise costs more.
My PC is dog shit mostly because of the GPU, and it cost me as much as my PS5 (Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 16 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance, Corsair TX550M PSU and a shitty AMD HD 6870 left over from my last PC).

If it were higher clock speeds causing the improved performance we would see even greater gains because the ram setup is not causing a bottleneck. Also If you dont know, why are you telling me im wrong?
You explain why then since Cerny is lying and so are other outlets. If it's not the memory bandwidth, what is it?

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Depends on the PC.
But yeah, PC gaming... (assuming you're mostly gaming with it) harware-wise costs more.
My PC is dog shit mostly because of the GPU, and it cost me as much as my PS5 (Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 16 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance, Corsair TX550M PSU and a shitty AMD HD 6870 left over from my last PC).

You explain why then since Cerny is lying and so are other outlets. If it's not the memory bandwidth, what is it?

The 6600xt is nearly equal to the 5700xt in rasterization beacuse they have very close overal tflops and RAM setups which perform similarly.
Also if the PS5s higher clocks gave higher performance more then the Tflops entail why isnt the PS5 seeing more parity with the seriesX outside of some early titles using half baked seriesX dev tools.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The 6600xt is nearly equal to the 5700xt in rasterization beacuse they have very close overal tflops and RAM setups which perform similarly.
Also if the PS5s higher clocks gave higher performance more then the Tflops entail why isnt the PS5 seeing more parity with the seriesX outside of some early titles using half baked seriesX dev tools.
Clocks raise the TFlops and are important for that measurement, do you know how to calculate GPU tflops? From the sounds of it, it doesn't seem so.
How do you think the 6600XT is 10.6TF?
Here's the PS5
2304 x 2233 x 2 = 10.28TF

Series X
3328 x 1825 x 2 = 12.147TF

Sosokrates

Clocks raise the TFlops and are important for that measurement, do you know how to calculate GPU tflops? From the sounds of it, it doesn't seem so.
How do you think the 6600XT is 10.6TF?
Here's the PS5
2304 x 2233 x 2 = 10.28TF

Series X
3328 x 1825 x 2 = 12.147TF

Yes, your calculations seem correct.
I dont know why would think I dont know how to calculate Tflops.

Mr Moose

Yes, your calculations seem correct.
I dont know why would think I dont know how to calculate Tflops.
Because of this.
They are pretty close, and have a lot of draws lately. Doesn't matter much where you play, they are close enough either way (with PS5 or Series X having a slight lead, depending on the game) to not make a difference when playing.
The only real difference between the 2 is VRR ( Riky Riky :messenger_heart: )

Sosokrates

Because of this.
They are pretty close, and have a lot of draws lately. Doesn't matter much where you play, they are close enough either way (with PS5 or Series X having a slight lead, depending on the game) to not make a difference when playing.
The only real difference between the 2 is VRR ( Riky Riky :messenger_heart: )
Yes PS5 is a great console, I have one.
I originally replied to somone stating that the higher clockspeed of the PS5 provides additional performance over a GPU with the same Tflops but lower clockspeed. At this point I dont think its necessary to think this is a possibility.
Theres nothing wrong with the PS5 having 5700xt in rasterization.

Also the PS5 has not had an edge in months. The PS5 will likely not have an edge again, aside from faster loading.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Yes PS5 is a great console, I have one.
I originally replied to somone stating that the higher clockspeed of the PS5 provides additional performance over a GPU with the same Tflops but lower clockspeed. At this point I dont think its necessary to think this is a possibility.
Theres nothing wrong with the PS5 having 5700xt in rasterization.

Also the PS5 has not had an edge in months. The PS5 will likely not have an edge again, aside from faster loading.
If all else is equal, it probably does.

And whaaaat? I thought they were close recently?
Back 4 Blood, yup
Chivalry 2, yup
GreedFall (is this one native?), yup
Little Nightmares 2, yup
F1 2021, yup

Last edited:

Sosokrates

If all else is equal, it probably does.

And whaaaat? I thought they were close recently?
Back 4 Blood, yup
Chivalry 2, yup
GreedFall (is this one native?), yup
Little Nightmares 2, yup
F1 2021, yup
You seem to be having trouble reading.

I said the ps5 has not had an edge for months, not that they were not close.
Yes they are close, because there hardware specs are close, I never said they weren't lol.

Corndog

Banned
36 tflops lol. 3.6x more tflops, only 2x more performance.

Hopefully Nvidia goes back to the drawing board with their next gen cards because just increasing shader processors isnt enough. DLSS 2.0 saved their asses, but even at 30 tflops, the 3080 was only 1.8x more powerful despite having almost 3x more tflops.

AMD's 6900xt when overclocked can already beat out 3090 in some non-ray traced games. Thats a $1,000 GPU beating out a $1,500 GPU.
I thought flops weren’t comparable across brands? Can’t directly compared amd vs nvidia. Am I wrong?

Mr Moose

You seem to be having trouble reading.

I said the ps5 has not had an edge for months, not that they were not close.
Yes they are close, because there hardware specs are close, I never said they weren't lol.
Why should it have an edge?
(Sometimes it has an edge, like F1 2021, otherwise its the same between the other games I listed, but the edge in F1 2021 is irrelevant because they are so close anyway).

Tschumi

That's a great video by Alex, if he'd done something this exhaustive about lighting in Infinite I would have bought his video more :p DF doing what they aught to consistently do best

ALSO this is the first time i saw release and anyone saying these graphics aren't good enough is full of shite! It looks great. I don't like the art style very much - the enemies and guns and icons... the world is gorgeous - but it's not a bad looking game.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Why should it have an edge?
(Sometimes it has an edge, like F1 2021, otherwise its the same between the other games I listed, but the edge in F1 2021 is irrelevant because they are so close anyway).

SeriesX has been having a slight resolution edge in most titles since the improvement in dev tools. I would not expect better overall better visuals from the PS5 going foward in multiplats, aside from faster loading and the odd development hiccup (like the seriesXs lack of Raytracing in little nightmares 2)

Mr Moose

SeriesX has been having a slight resolution edge in most titles since the improvement in dev tools. I would not expect better overall better visuals from the PS5 going foward in multiplats, aside from faster loading and the odd development hiccup (like the seriesXs lack of Raytracing in little nightmares 2)
It will depend on the engine, but yeah it (X) should have a slight lead or neck and neck.
Either way we should be in for a treat, especially compared to last gen.

You foolishly compared PS5 to 5700xt.

No game on the 5700xt looks as good as R & C RA.

I made the statement you are the one who is supposed to try to argue it.

I mean if your point is that one is a platform and the other is a plug n play pc part of roughly the same rasterized performance, then sure, you made your point expertly!

Banned
That isn't what I said.

well you said there is nothing that runs on that card that looks as good as R&C, well of course not because that game doesn't exist on that platform. if they ever release it on PC, the 5700XT will run the game almost at the same quality as the performance mode tho (of course it has no RT acceleration so this part is where the PS5 GPU has a lead over it)

S0ULZB0URNE

well you said there is nothing that runs on that card that looks as good as R&C, well of course not because that game doesn't exist on that platform. if they ever release it on PC, the 5700XT will run the game almost at the same quality as the performance mode tho (of course it has no RT acceleration so this part is where the PS5 GPU has a lead over it)
Nothing does look as good on a 5700 xt nor ever will.
It's old news where PS5 is cutting edge tech.

Let me repeat... PS5 will continue to put out award winning games AND run better versions of 3rd party games deep into this generation.

This is only true in cases where the games are better optimized for AMD and are generally underperforming on Nvidia hardware.
Yes of course. The 2080 comparison is the absolute upper limit on very specific titles. Still, it's noteworthy enough to mention. But what's quickly becoming apparent is all games with some sort of RT, the performance falls to that 2060s, 2070s level. And obviously like some others have mentioned, this is prior to DLSS.

Does anyone know where the UE5 performance landed and the comparison with PC GPUs? Do we already have a rough like for like title or demo for this purpose? I vaguely remember a tech demo was launched but don't know how comparable it is.

S0ULZB0URNE

Does anyone know where the UE5 performance landed and the comparison with PC GPUs? Do we already have a rough like for like title or demo for this purpose? I vaguely remember a tech demo was launched but don't know how comparable it is.
We might a good idea in April when STALKER releases.

hlm666

Never noticed the 59fps issue on PS5... And I have 1080p TV, 1440p is enough for me....

Jesus Christ... why PC gamer is so retard for the little detail like "OMG is 59fps, is so trash...."..;

Just play and enjoy games... fk**** PCtard...

I'm saying that but I have also a "better config than PS5" (and maybe 85% of "pc player") with my 5800x/2060S.. But i'm playing Deathloop on PS5... guess why ? Dualsense, just a FPS Solo, not full competition fps... and just want playing peacefully on my sofa.

The game is great... but vid like this can trigger me... Like, who the fk... check the dynamic resolution and framerate while playing with stable 60fps ???

Calling people pctards then proceeding to make ASSumptions.

Top Bottom