• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth on PS5 - Quality/Performance Modes + More

I've seen a few people say that Perf Mode looks better when you manually change the PS5's output resolution to 1080p, can anyone confirm? And if so, does it make Perf Mode viable?
This is how I played the demo and I thought it looked really good after the patch. It was blurry before but I'd say normal for such resolution after. I was not understanding people's complaints.

And I was wondering if that was the cause. there must be something very wrong with the upscaling method and 1080p could deactivate it the way RDR2 looked better at 1080p.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think you all are overexaggerating things a bit.

It looks fine to me in perfomance mode. It is indeed a softer image, but overall I don't dislike the picture at all. The graphics are beautiful. Quality mode is amazing but I prefer 60 fps.

As for this and the lower res textures, I think it's the UE4 to blame. They made an open world with such graphics with it, I think it's almost a miracle
It comes down to preference. Some say they can’t handle a blurry image, and some say they can’t handle a slide show.

Ultimately though, with a game optimized like this one is, or due to its engine, no one will be 100% happy with the the visuals. Thankfully the game seems amazing, so the visuals complaints will die down while people are playing the game. Then creep back when done with it.

Fredrik

Again, the trick is to never switch back and forth. We have been playing 30 fps games for decades. Our eyes have already adjusted.
Been playing games for 40 years and I’ve never been able to adjust. And I don’t need an A B comparison to notice the 30fps stutter, it’s impossible to not notice it and it never stops being annoying, it’s that one thing that can completely kill my hype for a game.
But I don’t skip a masterpiece over 30fps anymore. Used to do that a couple decades ago. If there is a plan B, a late PC version, I just wait for that.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Been playing games for 40 years and I’ve never been able to adjust. And I don’t need an A B comparison to notice the 30fps stutter, it’s impossible to not notice it and it never stops being annoying, it’s that one thing that can completeky kill my hype for a game.
But I don’t skip a masterpiece over 30fps anymore. Used to do that a couple decades ago. If there is a plan B, a late PC version, I just wait for that.

30fps when I rotate the camera reminds me of when I use to watch Gumby as a child. Fixed camera 30fps games like Kirby and the Forgotten World look just fine.

Fredrik

30fps when I rotate the camera reminds me of when I use to watch Gumby as a child. Fixed camera 30fps games like Kirby and the Forgotten World look just fine.
Sideway camera movement is awful, anything with a free moving camera or anything faster with realtime action, just awful.
And I’ve never been able to reach the point where a 30fps game with perfect frametimes looks smooth. 30fps can never look smooth. Add motion blur and it’s just blurry with stutter.

But if there is no other way… 🤷‍♂️ Zelda TOTK was close to be my GOTY, and I’m not sure it’s even 30fps, stutters like crazy.
Rebirth at least give you a choice. And a PC version will arrive eventually.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I've seen a few people say that Perf Mode looks better when you manually change the PS5's output resolution to 1080p, can anyone confirm? And if so, does it make Perf Mode viable?

I haven’t tried 1080p but I did try setting it to 1440p. It does look marginally better, maybe around 5% better. I assume that that’s because my TV’s upscaling from 1440p to 4k is better for image clarity than whatever upscaling method FF7 is doing to upscale to 4k (my TV is an LG C1 OLED). But it’s nothing significant. The performance mode still doesn’t look good.

If I remember I might try setting it to 1080p later on today and I’ll report back to you, but I doubt it’ll make much difference.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The 30fps mode here is the same buttery smooth ff16 voodoo magic where if I force VRR in ps5 settings it makes the game silky smooth.

VRR doesn't do anything on the locked 30 FPS modes .. it's placebo.

Zuzu

The 30fps mode here is the same buttery smooth ff16 voodoo magic where if I force VRR in ps5 settings it makes the game silky smooth.

Final Fantasy 16’s 30fps is significantly smoother looking than this game because of it’s excellent motion blur.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
VRR doesn't do anything on the locked 30 FPS modes .. it's placebo.
When I turn that setting off the 30fps looks far more “chunky.”

Even showed it to my wife to see if she noticed a difference and said the same.

Maybe my TV is just goofy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
When I turn that setting off the 30fps looks far more “chunky.”

Even showed it to my wife to see if she noticed a difference and said the same.

Maybe my TV is just goofy.

Are you sure you're not turning on some kind of motion smoothing on your TV-side?

Final Fantasy 16’s 30fps is significantly smoother looking than this game because of it’s excellent motion blur.

The multiple levels of motion blur customization options they added post-launch were fantastic. It helped take out the ghosting.

Last edited:

Bojji

Something occurred to me recently, disk version doesn't have this "update" so playing gold version without updated might be the way to go at least until they actually fix performance mode.

Demo was blurry but at least not pixelated in first version.

Last edited:

Crayon

How disappointing to hear. The tip to let the system handle it by setting it to downscale sounds nice. Kinda ghetto but 1440 will be fine for Tekken, and BG3 which my wife will seemingly be playing for the rest of her life.

Vick

As for this and the lower res textures, I think it's the UE4 to blame. They made an open world with such graphics with it, I think it's almost a miracle
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

16UFzQD.jpg

UXwO3uY.jpg

fHtHQAb.jpg

zPMgxWU.jpg

dV3p2pR.jpg

bWcka1E.jpg

LDS79Eu.jpg

XaDkVKn.jpg

uLEG0It.jpg

Assets in Days Gone were immaculate.

Yeah I never complain about 30fps I played spider man on fidelity mode for example but something is broken in the 30fps mode even on my old 720p lcd tv I thought it was dropping frames

I think devs have no one but themselves to blame for this. They embraced cross gen and 60 fps modes instead of pushing graphics fidelity in early gen titles. Now they are finally pushing graphics fidelity, but it comes at a cost like everything in life. Only this time its resolution and level of detail because 10 tlfops can only give you so much.

I say its not too late to shun 60 fps and just drop performance modes altogether. Dont even give people an option and you wont see bitching. no one bitched about lack of 60 fps in uncharted 4, zelda, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, horizon ZD, GOW 2018, RDR2, Death Stranding, Bloodborne, Sekiro, witcher 3. No one cared. People just got on with it.

Just be honest and say hey you cant have everything. Be a man and suck it up. Go to PC if you want high resolutions and high settings at 60 fps. Enjoy the game the way we meant to be played.

It's been super frustrating to see every fucking game get marred by performance talk. RE4's blurry performance mode was the start and since then Star Wars, FF16, Alan Wake 2 and even Avatar have all had their discussion dominated by poor IQ and performance in 60 fps modes. Fuck it. Take the PR hit on not providing a 60 fps mode, and focus on making the 30 fps mode feel smooth instead. I cant believe people were playing games like FF16 and Star Wars at 720p or below. it's shocking. Avatar and ALan wake drop to 864p. No wonder no one thinks those games look amazing because they all played on PS3 era resolutions on giant 4k modern tvs.

Console gamers dont need to be given options. They chose to be console gamers for a reason. If they really want, they would build a PC or buy a Pro for 60 fps.
I actually say as a base ps5 user to now start maxing out the fidelity and simulation on the base model to 30fps and let the pro be the 60 or above machine

What a load of utter nonsense..

Once they quickly patched out VRS the game looked as perfect as it realistically could while performing infinitely better than other versions when it comes to stutter, which is in fact practically non existent on console.

PS5 Performance:

"Awful IQ"

Dead-Space-20230205004157.png

Dead-Space-20230207202956.png

Dead-Space-20230209010618.png

Dead-Space-20230207173055.png

Dead-Space-20230207161759.png

Dead-Space-20230209190301.png

Dead-Space-20230206173333.png

Dead-Space-20230206175548.png

Dead-Space-20230204223515.png

Dead-Space-20230205023902.png

Dead-Space-20230207015228.png

Dead-Space-20230207162002.png

Dead-Space-20230207004916.png

And "Awful performance"..

How dare this game maintaining a rock solid 60fps with a a thousandth of the stuttering problems still plaguing the PC version.

dont-care-nope-Steve-Carell-The-Office-GIF.gif

I actually have this game but haven’t started yet I’m excited to see what the pro does for it

Pro consoles aren’t going to solve this.

The mid-Gen updates last Gen didn’t solve this issue, all it did was allow developers to add more bells and whistles while not addressing overall performance. When this Gen came out, everyone was convinced we had put 30fps behind us because it was a step up from the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X who were already sliding into 30fps territory.

Three years into this generation where 4k/120 was a selling point of both consoles, we’re back to 30fps with graphical bells and whistles taking developer’s priorities over 60fps and good texture/IQ.

Anyone thinking it’s going to be any different with an overpriced “pro” console is setting themselves up for disappointment. Just spend another $600+ - I’m sure THIS time you’ll get the amazing graphics they promise. 🙄
The pro would solve it all if it’s just targeting ps5 settings and not trying to do extra

I beat the entire demo with all fights on 30fps and it really is fine. Okay, coming from 60 is jarring for a few moments but its what it is. You can pick 60 though, and its quite stable unlike FFXVI but it looks worse. If the Pro comes you're at the mercy of the developer updating the game. And who knows how it ends up. FFXV wasn't great on PS4 Pro. They could do better with perf mode IQ on base PS5, though not that much probably. They aren't Guerrilla and its not like PS5 is that much more powerful than PS4 Pro. Remake couldn't run above 1440p in 60fps either, and its a game with much simpler geometry and level design.

No 40fps mode is a shame I will say.
The ps5 gpu is a good 3.5x the power in raw spec I wouldn’t consider that only slightly above its the cpu which is not much a leap over the pro

Zuzu

Yeah I never complain about 30fps I played spider man on fidelity mode for example but something is broken in the 30fps mode even on my old 720p lcd tv I thought it was dropping frames

I think it's a solid 30fps but I don't know what the frame pacing is like. It might look extra stuttery because there's no camera-based motion blur - only object-based motion blur.

Skifi28

Ah Digital Foundry. Slowly destroying the hobby of gaming with every video.
Ehhh, they're just pointing out something that's there. If you game of multiple platforms it's a great way to choose which version to pick.

I mean that's always a plus, but it still doesn't stop people from developing unnecessary hardcore autism over pixel counts and framerates as if it's the be all end all to enjoying a game.
It's like blaming the knife maker because some will use their product for murder.

Last edited:

Flabagast

So I tried on a 1080p screen with 1080p output and indeed it seems slightly better than the first version of the demo, although the IQ still remains soft and blurry.

I'll go with it though, I cant picture myself playing such fast paced combat at 30fps

Last edited:

th4tguy

I've been playing my ps5 almost exclusively from my phone (remote play and razor kishi). Performance looks fine on my phone screen.
You fancy people with your fancy tvs.
(my main tv is a Sony Bravia from 2008 that has sections of dead pixels).

I am planning to buy a Bravia A80 model tv this year - It's time

Top Bottom