• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Starfield Tech Breakdown - 30FPS, Visuals, Rendering Tech + Game Impressions

feynoob

Pixelated time
Pop Corn GIF by WWE

Fake

I don't buy this 30 fps. You can drop native resolution, use DRS, checkerboard render and now even FSR 2. You can use dynamic between to low/medium/high settings, dynamic LOD...

PS4/Xbox One would be fine, but we're now in an age of amazing tools to mitigate the framerate. The game don't need to be native 4k, but neither 30 fps.

Will PC version runs at 30 fps with resolutions like 1920x1080p with weaker CPUs than Series X too?

yamaci17

I don't buy this 30 fps. You can drop native resolution, use DRS, checkerboard render and now even FSR 2. You can use dynamic between to low/medium/high settings, dynamic LOD...

PS4/Xbox One would be fine, but we're now in an age of amazing tools to mitigate the framerate. The game don't need to be native 4k, but neither 30 fps.

Will PC version runs at 30 fps with resolutions like 1920x1080p with weaker CPUs than Series X too?
yes? why are you surprised? my ryzen 2700 barely cracks 30 fps in flight simulator (and drops to 25s due to api overheads), that is what it is. and if you have something weaker than that, it is <30 FPS city.

it is clearly a CPU limitation. sometimes CPU limitations are not easy to work around by simple "dynamic LOD" tricks. you can make CPU bound games on PC look like absolute dogshit and all that would gain you like a joke %10-15 gain. it is very common that barely any setting affect CPU performance in a meaningful way (which is a huge pitfall if you've built your PC on a jank PC, there's no proper scaling for CPU performance. it will run whatever dev intended at its performance for)

Fake

yes? why are you surprised? my ryzen 2700 barely cracks 30 fps in flight simulator (and drops to 25s due to api overheads), that is what it is. and if you have something weaker than that, it is <30 FPS city.

it is clearly a CPU limitation. sometimes CPU limitations are not easy to work around by simple "dynamic LOD" tricks. you can make CPU bound games on PC look like absolute dogshit and all that would gain you like a joke %10-15 gain. it is very common that barely any setting affect CPU performance in a meaningful way (which is a huge pitfall if you've built your PC on a jank PC, there's no proper scaling for CPU performance. it will run whatever dev intended at its performance for)

I surprise because video games have an advantage in comparison with PC, with is their native gaming API. And as far I watching the video, looks like the game will have Raytracing enable with is IMO the solution for the game to run at 60 fps, just an option to entirely disable RT.

We don't need to discuss about how taxing RT is, right?

edit: No RT, but real time cube maps.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Not gonna watch but thanks for posting.. was there any mention if there's any kind of RT? since i think i saw some mention about it.. Thanks.

yamaci17

I surprise because video games have an advantage in comparison with PC, with is their native gaming API. And as far I watching the video, looks like the game will have Raytracing enable with is IMO the solution for the game to run at 60 fps, just an option to entirely disable RT.

where did u here it will come bundled with Ray tracing? from what the looks of it, they're just introducing a raster based GI system (their lighting solutions usually sucked, which is why they got praises). yes it is costly of its own but at this point a proper GI is necessary for open world games. cyberpnk and Dying light 2 also has their GI solutions even without ray tracing. it makes games look good

Roxkis_ii

- DF fully expects 30 FPS to become the common target going forward as the cross-gen period ends.

I don't know why people keep thinking console users are going to tolerate 30 fps. Every game that has released with just 30 fps get shit on relentlessly. These people are going to learn one way or another.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

They don't use RT in this game. Real-Time GI is not the same as Ray-Traced GI.

No RT. Lighting is real time GI, shadows are screen space shadows and reflections are real time cube-maps.
This.

Last edited:

NickFire

I think this game has a good chance at game of the year despite the 30 FPS. But I am not convinced that Series X could not handle a decent performance mode. That console is a beast, and 60 FPS was supposed to be the base target at one point. And before this we saw cancelled features in Halo last year, BG3 delaying Xbox, and Redfall, which collectively make me think something beyond creative choices is dragging the X down.

Fake

where did u here it will come bundled with Ray tracing? from what the looks of it, they're just introducing a raster based GI system (their lighting solutions usually sucked, which is why they got praises). yes it is costly of its own but at this point a proper GI is necessary for open world games. cyberpnk and Dying light 2 also has their GI solutions even without ray tracing. it makes games look good

I rewatched the video, no RT, but real time cube maps. My bad.

So, no next gen features, but still taxing? Is that the message?

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
I think this game has a good chance at game of the year despite the 30 FPS. But I am not convinced that Series X could not handle a decent performance mode. That console is a beast, and 60 FPS was supposed to be the base target at one point. And before this we saw cancelled features in Halo last year, BG3 delaying Xbox, and Redfall, which collectively make me think something beyond creative choices is dragging the X down.
It's not only that there's none proper 60fps mode but the lack of any kind of options on SX, tho perhaps it will change later.. no 40fps mode, no unlocked mode of at least the next Xbox will run it better without patching.. like they aren't (yet) even trying, and it's ok.. it's their product and they owe us nothing but it's just disappointing.

Kvally

Banned
Xpro are real if this norm is going to happen

“That’s not the feedback we’re getting right now. Right now, we’re pretty set on the hardware we have.” - Phil Spencer

If they did come out with pro hardware, then devs will just make the games even bigger, more feature rich, more textures and then scale back to 30fps. 🤷‍♂️

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
SlimySnake SlimySnake

You were right about the lighting before, DF had high praises for the lighting, fogging etc.
Thats not a compliment. DF thought TLOU Part 1, Forza Horizon 5, and Horizon FW were PS5 masterclass. lol

But yes, Starfield's lighting looked next gen from day one to me. And I mean going back to the original trailer I kept posting links showing Devs confirming it was realtime. From the next gen graphics thread back in 2021.

Found this just now when looking for starfield gifs. Starfield trailer was fully realtime, was not using cinematic tools and was running on a 2080 Super. MS has said that Gears 5 performed roughly equivalent to a 2080, and we have seen the PS5 outperform the 2080 in several AMD specific games. So both consoles should be able to run the game at these visuals.

8c0by0gf5n671.png

a9d426e192b527688c9d0bb5f2099339deab4af9.gifv

22a22808dd5791d22a42f8919af9e5f535f65f6e.gifv

Mr.Phoenix

Expect upscaled 4k and 30 fps to be the norm for console games moving forward, as we leave cross gen behind
While its hard to believe that will always be the case when we have Sony's first party doing native 4K@30/40fps and reconstructed 4K@60fps... I have no qualms with reconstructed 4K@30fps as long as they give us a similarly reconstructed 60fps performance mode.

I can understand that that may not always be the case, but will expect to see it more times than not.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
SlimySnake SlimySnake

You were right about the lighting before, DF had high praises for the lighting, fogging etc.
Which is odd for Alex not to harp on the inconsistencies or inaccuracy of the RTGI shadow combo at the moment. Only because he used to go hard in the paint on his Dictator account back when HZD first came out on here, pointing out how inaccurate the RTGI lighting was compared to Star Citizen showing zoomed in screens and how the shadows don't fully accurately cast from the light source.

But he's always been pretty selective depending on where the games are coming from.

I will agree, however, I like the look of the lighting and atmosphere. Really digging the art direction that's reminding me of The Expanse in so many ways.

This truly is the best looking game so far that Bethesda will be putting out.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I fully expect shader compilation to be a real issue on PC. Dynamic precompilation for such a vast amount of space and variety sounds like a pretty nasty task.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
“That’s not the feedback we’re getting right now. Right now, we’re pretty set on the hardware we have.” - Phil Spencer

If they did come out with pro hardware, then devs will just make the games even bigger, more feature rich, more textures and then scale back to 30fps. 🤷‍♂️
He also recently said this game running at 30fps was not a hardware issue

He lies left and right and simply is not ready to reveal a pro level console as sales just jumped for the Series X for this game.

Mr.Phoenix

Thats not a compliment. DF thought TLOU Part 1, Forza Horizon 5, and Horizon FW were PS5 masterclass. lol
DF did point out that the majority of the effects and fighting they used were also done in HZFW though.

Actually, DF went as far as say that they weren't really doing or using any new next-gen effects, but just a very creative use of tried and tried effects and they listed out examples of games that have done similar.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I called it on the resolution. That explains why they can't do 60fps. If they are using reconstruction to just get to 30fps and reconstruction from as low as 1200p+... then it explains why they couldn't get this running at 60fps.

It's pretty much obvious it's CPU bound. They kind of prove it in the video. You will see at launch once it's benchmarked on pc.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
This is not true... the game may be taxing on the CPU, but that is not the reason why.
You are welcome to your opinion, but I think that is why. They are trying to create a "high-fidelity" universe with object persistence and physics just like in their previous open world games and it's too taxing for the CPU in these consoles to run at 16ms. 30fps is a must to maintain consistency not only in their world simulation but also frame rate. Visually they aren't doing anything amazing, it's all because of their world simulation systems.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Which is odd for Alex not to harp on the inconsistencies or inaccuracy of the RTGI shadow combo at the moment. Only because he used to go hard in the paint on his Dictator account back when HZD first came out on here, pointing out how inaccurate the RTGI lighting was compared to Star Citizen showing zoomed in screens and how the shadows to accurately cast from the light source.

But he's always been pretty selective depending on where the games are coming from.

I will agree, however, I like the look of the lighting and atmosphere. Really digging the art direction that's reminding me of The Expanse in so many ways.

This truly is the best looking game so far that Bethesda will be putting out.
He can be a tool sometimes. He was doing that with avatar the other day.

OMG, no proper reflections under the belly of a deer.... SOMEONE CALL THE POLICE!

Roxkis_ii

I don't remember Plague Tale getting sh8t on or indeed Flight Sim.

Sure doesn't look like people find 30 fps attractive to me.

Mr Moose

I'll let you know when I buy it if I remember. I have a 3600.
I thought they said before it had RT when they "reviewed" the previous trailer, but I might've been drunk at the time.

Umbasaborne

Banned

OMG, no proper reflections under the belly of a deer.... SOMEONE CALL THE POLICE!

As someone who games on pc, that dude is the most pc master race gamer ive ever seen. He always has to include that the pc version is better. Like it doesn’t even need to be said, everyone knows that. But on a podcast he was like scoffing at the idea of playing a game on switch.

NickFire

You are welcome to your opinion, but I think that is why. They are trying to create a "high-fidelity" universe with object persistence and physics just like in their previous open world games and it's too taxing for the CPU in these consoles to run at 16ms. 30fps is a must to maintain consistency not only in their world simulation but also frame rate. Visually they aren't doing anything amazing, it's all because of their world simulation systems.
I'm no expert, that is for sure. But really? A first party game is too taxing for the reasonable expectations of people who own the flagship hardware? Really?

Perhaps I'm crazy. Just can't understand how it's possible. First party. Flagship console. But better off playing on a PC. Way too weird.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

If You Say So Shrug GIF

It's because of the platform it was confirmed to be running on. He has always been overly critical in that direction. Hence the HZD grinding he used to back in the day, long before he worked for DF.

Top Bottom