• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Watch Dogs Legion: PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X|S - Graphics, Performance, Ray Tracing!

Insane Metal

Gold Member
RT reflections are absolutely identical on both.

Anysotropic Filtering: PS5 > XSX >>> XSS. Alex supposes this is a bug since there's nothing about it in the games' config files.

Puddles are missing in reflections on PS5. Alex supposes this is a bug since there's nothing about it in the games' config files.

Other than that the game looks identical. Loading times are PS5 > XSX/XSS, 18 secs on PS5 and 26 on XS.

Performance is perfect with no version ever dropping a single frame.

Last edited:

They say everything is same between ps55 and xsx from performance to resolution to raytracing . just one tiny difference:

"
Series X delivers a slightly lower level of texture filtering than its PS5 equivalent.
"

Video:

Last edited:
Alex is not sure why Series X isn't performing better than PS5. You will hear this a lot as the generation goes on I am guessing.

Man, that 18 seconds is a far cry from how I understood Cerny's presentation... :messenger_sad_relieved:

Current generation game not taking full advantage of the I/O of either the Series X or PS5. We have seen with SP: MM that you can get 1 to 2 second loads.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
nyw80Ue.gif

Md Ray

So, aside from some graphical bugs, it's identical resolution and frame-rate again on both. I'll admit I expected PS5 to consistently have lower resolution than SX right off the bat. But this is really surprising. :messenger_grinning: :messenger_ok:

What an amazing piece of kit the PS5 is.

Last edited:

priba76br

Neo Member

Anysotropic Filtering: PS5 > XSX >>> XSS

Puddles are missing in reflections on PS5. Alex supposes this is a bug since there's nothing about it in the games' config files.

Other than that the game looks identical. Loading times are PS5 > XSX/XSS, 18 secs on PS5 and 26 on XS.
You forgot to mention that the anysotropic filter settings are the same for PS5 and XSX on the config files too. So this should be a bug just like the missing PS5 Puddles.

Iced Arcade

puddle gate 2.0

jokes aside: these comparisons are going to dry up with these consoles being so close. win for gamers but can see DF needing to reach more to be relevant.

Last edited:

vkbest

And PS5 is missing RT puddles in the reflection. Yes lower texture filtering is readily more apparent than missing RT puddle in a reflection but that is likely down to a bug for both.

AF is not a bug, its lower in config files on XSX. Bug its something unexpected. Lower settings is not a bug.

EDIT: I watched again, and is the same on config files.

And PS5 is missing RT reflections on puddles.

It's a wash.

I can't understand why he didn't rotate the camera to see the puddle supposedly you have to see reflected. Is this game have the same puddles on all versions? is not dynamic, I would really surprised.

Last edited:

Freeman76

The surfaces look like shit on this. The Thames looks like a bowl of soup. Even silver trim on cars looks like its fizzing. Its really offputting when everything else is so sharp. I hope they add an option to disable that effect.

regawdless

Banned
Seeing how the resolutions scale and drop basically identical, I think it's a fair question to ask where the extra theoretical power of the Series X has gone.
That alleged raw performance advantage should be seen in these numbers.

TBiddy

And PS5 loads slightly faster.

Andanotherone.gif

Puddles are missing on PS5.

Andanotherone, indeed.

Anysotropic Filtering: PS5 > XSX >>> XSS. Alex supposes this is a bug since there's nothing about it in the games' config files.

Performance is perfect with no version ever dropping a single frame.

I expect this to be the case going forward. Minor differences between the two major consoles.

Anyone proclaiming this as "a win" needs to find another hobby.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
which idiot on Giant Bomb was it that said the PS5 version runs way smoother?

He felt a difference and said he'd want comparison videos (to confirm if that's really the case). He can' t be blamed.

The other guy said NMS runs considerably smoother on PS5 than XSX. If NMS also runs the same on both consoles, that guy can be blamed.

reinking

Gold Member
lex is not sure why Series X isn't performing better than PS5. You will hear this a lot as the generation goes on I am guessing.
I was a little confused why he made that comment at the end. He answered his own question in the video. They have identical settings. While I understand he could not look under the hood I believe it would be safe to assume they followed that same pattern with keeping things identical.

Last edited:

Banned
He felt a difference and said he'd want comparison videos (to confirm if that's really the case). He can' t be blamed.

The other guy said NMS runs considerably smoother on PS5 than XSX. If NMS also runs the same on both consoles, that guy can be blamed.

well I think it is very easy to feel a framedrop in a 30fps game. and it's also very easy to feel if it runs perfectly stable.

Md Ray

Seeing how the resolutions scale and drop basically identical, I think it's a fair question to ask where the extra theoretical power of the Series X has gone.
That alleged raw performance advantage should be seen in these numbers.
The PS5's 22% uplift in pixel fillrate over SX likely makes up for the lack of 2 TF. 👌🏼

That's a smart GPU design, IMO. Do more with less.

Last edited:
Top Bottom