• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dinosaur Battlegrounds- Fight & Survive to the top of the food Chain (Kickstarter)

Dinosaur Battlegrounds Kickstarter page (Fully funded; ends Nov. 7)

---
fqCXD6F.jpg

"Experience Prehistoric Earth as a Dinosaur in an accurately recreated 3D world, Fight, Survive and reach the top of the food Chain.

If you could imagine yourself living life as a prehistoric dinosaur, which one would you be? Would you be an enormous, meat-eating Tyrannosaurus rex, stalking the environment in search of prey, or would you be a plant-eating, Triceratops with an attitude and fighting spirit, ready to stand your ground to survive? Picture the Earth as it existed millions of years ago, fleshed out with stunning 3D computer graphics, filled with dinosaurs and other prehistoric life -- Designed to mimic the prehistoric world in every way -- More than a game, more than a simulation -- Complete with an illustrated, informative encyclopedia to provide you with the knowledge you will most definitely need to survive, and to thrive. Surviving the savage prehistoric worlds of the Dinosaur Battlegrounds will be a challenge unlike any other, a simulation that puts the actual science of paleontology to the test, and allows you to come as close as you can to actually experiencing the our planet's prehistoric past to the best of our knowledge.

My name is Frank DeNota, and I have spent a good part of my life studying and illustrating dinosaurs, and the last twenty years doing so professionally. I've been fascinated by dinosaurs for as long as I can remember. When I was five years old, I got in trouble for covering my bedroom walls with drawings of dinosaurs. As a punishment, I had to sit and watch my father paint over my “masterpiece” stick-figure drawings. I have illustrated dinosaurs in books and magazines across the globe, but drawing dinosaurs is one of my greatest life passions even when it isn’t part of my day job. For instance, when I worked for 20th Century Fox's Blue Sky studios on feature films like “Robots” and "Ice Age", I still couldn’t wait to have free time to dedicate to creating dinosaurs. My team and I have the knowledge, experience, and most of all the passion, to make it happen. We plan to start with a prototype version of the ecosystem featuring a small selection of dinosaurs, accompanied by an interactive field guide, all illustrated with realistic, 3D dinosaur reconstructions. Everything in the game, from the shape of the T. rex body all the way down to the plant life that surrounds your epic battles, to the species of prehistoric insect that lands on your dromaeosaur’s eyelid as it pounces on its prey will all be based on real paleontology, peer reviewed research and the latest in dinosaur science.

Now, the most important piece of the puzzle: You! We hope that with your help we can generate enough interest to have a shot at tackling our dreams of completing the full, simulated game world. Our ultimate stretch goal is to put together a fully fleshed-out simulated world where you are born, live, and grow as a dinosaur of your choosing, to survive and experience the prehistoric world throughout millions of years of dinosaur evolution. However, none of this will be possible without your support and generous pledges. We believe that this will not only be an incredibly fun and entertaining experience for all ages, it will also be a valuable tool to aid in research and visualization, perhaps even the first, publicly-available simulation of prehistoric animals and their environment. Throughout the game and reference sections we plan to include a series of animated cut scenes and cinematic mini stories demonstrating dinosaurs, their anatomy, and even in their environments, wherever necessary.

LCqsjMU.jpg

So Far

Assets for the first prototype are ready to go We have over 75 dinosaurs Modeled, for use in both the reference guide and the simulation game.. The reference guide, with still images, interactive 3D model sections, plenty of concept art, and some animation is also ready to be put together and completed. A collection of works by accomplished Paleo Artists who have expressed a desire to contribute, and / or join the team. All design is complete and needs only some additional fine-tuning. Now, it all depends on you and your generosity how far we can take it. We would ultimately love to be able to go on to create the entire simulation that we envision. To get to that ultimate step, we would need quite a bit more than what we are asking for here and now, but we appreciate that we have to start somewhere and are excited for any opportunity at any step of the way. Please help us get our dream started, and you can be part of one of the first commercially-available, scientifically accurate simulations of the prehistoric world.

WHO WE ARE

Our Team currently consists of: me, Frank DeNota, a freelance artist illustrator with over 20 years working in a wide range of creative projects, Illustration, animated feature films, and scientific illustration with a focus on prehistoric life (Museums Periodicals and books) in all mediums, devoting myself to all aspects of the project; David M. Breaux Animator at Rhythm & Hues ( Night at the Museum, Land of the Lost, and Narnia among Others ) and Digital Domain; Jesse Jiminez Advising Engineer at ModoPayments, Development and Marketing Consultant, and also an incredibly talented artist, and software developer; Alexis Kyprios, writer and visual artist; Laurie DeNota, contributing on writing, editing and coordinating, Matt Dibrino, focusing on concept design: Jaquelyne Mireille, Hernández Fuentes Emmanuel and Axel Tovar Rodríguez, on Publicity and Graphic Design. Arnold Nesis Composer on Game and films.

We also have a team of programmers ready to jump in that i will be announcing when a deal is solidified. There are many other possibilities in the works and things are always changing as we fine tune our team and work on involving those who have expressed interest in working with us.

WouXde2.jpg

UPDATES

We will constantly be doing updates over the course of the campaign and during development, including video interviews with our team, and documenting as much as we can as we go, so you can experience this amazing journey with us. Lots of updates on the way!

No matter how much we are able to raise, we plan on continuing toward reaching our goal of creating a functioning cretaceous ecosystem. So, reaching any of our milestones toward building the final game will help greatly. We will be putting any kickstarter funding, much of the revenue from the initial release of the field guide, and the prototype back into our efforts, and we can always come back to Kickstarter to pick up where we leave off.

INITIAL GOALS:

Completion of a prototype simulation game Initially for PC, featuring the Late Cretaceous Hell Creek Formation.

Completion of final reference guide to prehistoric animals. Featured animals will be determined at a later date.

Release the reference guide to mobile devices, web, and downloadable windows application.

Translation and release to Asian and European markets.

Release of the initial prototype to our backers for testing and feedback.

Simulation Features
General features planned for the full game (some of these overlap into stretch goals)

The challenge of trying to survive life in a dynamic open world built on the most up to date information available to us, as well as direct consultation with paleontologists and other experts.

The ability to play as several different species of dinosaurs and other animals native to the time and place featured, uncover secret rare species to play.

A huge, dynamic, open world featuring seasons, variable day and night cycles, dynamic weather, natural disasters, several different environments and teeming with life. The land itself a living breathing world that you must first overcome and master before your very survival is secured. An environment where you can interact with almost everything. All plants and living organisms have a purpose, grow reproduce and die, you'll need to learn what you can eat and what you cant, whats worth chasing and what can maim and even kill you., all this and much more as the game evolved, all combining to create the most unique experience in gaming, the only experience of its kind.

Robust AI featuring the most in depth and unique simulation featuring,communication with other dinosaurs through body language expressions of different moods, aggression levels,submissive and dominant controls, postures to display intent, territory control, pack, herd, and rogue behavior, dinosaur behavior straight from he experts, and adaptability to the world around it.

Intuitive and fluid character control combined with unique play style and animations for each playable creature will create an immersive and rewarding game play experience.

Regular updates and expansions of the basic game, potentially including new areas of the Mesozoic, bringing with them unique environments and animals. Help us reach our stretch goals and we have a shot at starting the game with more than one environment and time periods.

Multiplayer: Our ultimate dream is for you, the player to have the chance to enjoy the ultimate dinosaur experience with your friends. Hunt together as a pack or hunt each other as predator and prey. Control areas and breed your own Hierarchy driven NPC family groups, packs and herds and battle for territory, hunting rights. Compete for dominance, kills and for survival.
Game Modes :Arcade and Simulation Modes

There would be two modes for the game- Arcade and Detailed Simulation,

Simulation play will require looking after many different aspects of your characters state of being. and will require more micro managing than arcade, where you'll be able to play without worrying too much about intricate aspects of the simulation. More in depth information on this below.
Static and Dynamic Customization

“Dynamic” lets you edit most variables and traits to customize the game world as you see fit and to suit your style. Think Tyrannosaurs were primarily scavengers like some paleontologists have theorized? Well, you can choose to play the game your way, and tailor the world to your own theories and speculation. Think that’s a bunch of silliness, and that Tyrannosaurs must have been the vicious, aggressive predators you’ve seen in TV and movies, that’s yours for the choosing as well – hunt away! "Static" basically uses the games default, recommended play settings set by the developers to fine tune game play and strike a healthy balance between scientific theory and entertainment. You wont need to worry about adjusting settings here, you can just jump right in and play.

(...)"

wncVkcl.jpg

aMcu6Va.jpg

5wOq7N7.jpg

BaZZCOK.jpg

DDMPqF1.jpg

rUiJNIf.jpg

YPEgjry.jpg

----

Lots more at the Kickstarterpage!

--

Now, the game sounds incredibly ambitious, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't skeptical.. Still, this sounds like it has some incredible potential, and the Dinosaurs look absolutely fantastic. Besides, we all need more Dinosaur games.

Yeah, I saw this. The gameplay description is too vague to get my excited. It could be really boring or exciting. People need to tell me why I want to play the game, not why their graphics look good.

BTW, did you see Saurian? They just posted their T.rex walk animation.

Top Bottom