• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney CEO Bob Chapek Booed Onstage at D23 Expo 2022

ManaByte

Gold Member
35fea_disney_illo_w.jpg

While the D23 Expo livestream remained silent, the “boo”s are audible in the above video from Twitter user Thomas Lipscomb. Some guests did applaud, but the reaction was mixed at best.

Dude even grew a beard thinking it'd make people like him:
bob2-1155x770.png

The guy is cratering Disney so fast even Eisner is saying "Damn, son."

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Poor guy. It's not his fault the economy is having a rough time.
Not at all, if they boo him it's for something.

And people are right, it is ruining the company.

Disney has always been characterized by bringing morals and beautiful movies, it should not force ideals and less on children.

If Disney was alive I'd be too mad at this guy.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Can someone enlighten us what exactly he did wrong that warranted such a negative reception. I’m not too informed about the inner workings of Disney.
He got rid of free snacks and drinks for Disney Employees first week on the job for one (True story I was there) and basically pissed employees off by strictly curbing perks like the Disney Silver Pass for employees which gives free parks admission to castmembers and immediate family even before COVID and employees still can't visit unless they actually work in a park.

He's also taken a more meddling approach on providing notes and cutting budgets on stupid shit he doesn't understand on the film side which is why you see things like shorter run times for Thor and over-reliance on the medium for Star Wars shows. Then there was the don't say gay thing which pissed employees off and his retraction and apologies to employees which pissed conservatives off.

TBH he was great at running theme parks because thats got to be run on a tight ship like the military but being stingy on everything else like films that earn their money back and D+ shows demonstrates he doesn't know how to run a media company.

Anyone was going to have a tough time following Iger and maybe he's been destined to be the fall guy but it was stupid to hire a theme park operations guy to run a creative enterprise like Disney, Marvel, Pixar and Marvel.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He got rid of free snacks and drinks for Disney Employees first week on the job for one (True story I was there) and basically pissed employees off by strictly curbing perks like the Disney Silver Pass for employees which gives free admission to the employees and immediate family even before COVID and employees still can't visit unless they actually work in a park.

He's also taken a more meddling approach on providing notes and cutting budgets on stupid shit he doesn't understand on the film side which is why you see things like shorter run times for Thor and over-reliance on the medium for Star Wars shows. Then there was the don't say gay thing which pissed employees off and his retraction and apologies to employees which pissed conservatives off.

TBH he was great at running theme parks because thats got to be run on a tight ship like the military but being stingy on everything else like films that earn their money back and D+ shows demonstrates he doesn't know how to run a media company.

Anyone was going to have a tough time following Iger and maybe he's been destined to be the fall guy but it was stupid to hire a theme park operations guy to run a creative enterprise like Disney, Marvel, Pixar and Marvel.
Yikes.

I dont follow Disney execs at all, but if the new guy is an operations kind of guy doing a creative role, that's like asking a supply chain manager to do a marketing role. Good luck having that work out.

MrMephistoX

Yikes.

I dont follow Disney execs at all, but if the new guy is an operations kind of guy doing a creative role, that's like asking a supply chain manager to do a marketing role. Good luck having that work out.
Exactly and I am saying this as someone who is in Marketing supply chain lol I actually was in marketing but moved over so they like me but I have seen so many people that come from the world of like buying widgets or industrial glass assigned to marketing sourcing/supply chain roles and it just does not work.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Exactly and I am saying this as someone who is in Marketing supply chain lol I actually was in marketing but moved over so they like me but I have seen so many people that come from the world of like buying widgets or industrial glass assigned to marketing sourcing/supply chain roles and it just does not work.
I hear ya.

I do finance and most of us are bean counters with zero context. Very black and white numbers focused people. Not truly their fault though as they can only go with what they know and people tell them, so they'd never know let's say cutting the cord on a product line because it makes bad profits would lead to a chain reaction of a retailer grilling the company on something else. Or that setting the sell price of something at $7.08 is pretty stupid when the rest of the products in its grouping are at $7.00 flat.

For me it's different, as my finance isnt so corporate like being the company accountant or tax dude who sits in an office all day talking to nobody (those are lone wolf jobs). I work with all departments and execs on FP&A stuff so I get exposed to the true cause and effect from when the company changes products, pricing, size of product, vs. what will happen if the company goes through with it.

And as much as one side of me wants to reco changing something for the almighty dollar, sometimes you cant/shouldnt do it as the long term effects will grill us back.

Salz01

I’m not so sure it’s all on Chapek. Iger from what I understand, pulled in lots of liberal media execs from Hollywood that didn’t really gel with Disney values. Those Execs have been pushing for more liberal themes in Disney and it’s been causing rifts. Chapek inherited this.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I’m not so sure it’s all on Chapek. Iger from what I understand, pulled in lots of liberal media execs from Hollywood that didn’t really gel with Disney values. Those Execs have been pushing for more liberal themes in Disney and it’s been causing rifts. Chapek inherited this.

Nah that's just BS coming from the Chapek camp trying to blame the past administration for his failures. Chapek basically kicked out Iger during COVID.

Salz01

Nah that's just BS coming from the Chapek camp trying to blame the past administration for his failures. Chapek basically kicked out Iger during COVID.
Maybe. I personally don’t work there, just hear things form a friend of a friend. Either way, Disney just seems to big for its own good. It doesn’t know how to satisfy everybody, and just seems to fuck things up. I wonder if Apple would come in and buy them, which is also rumored, what would that be like.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I'm just kidding since I had just seen that announcement. Although, how many of those films you posted went into production after Chapek took over?

None of them really but the upcoming Strange World, Elio and Elemental are going into production after Chapek took over.

TUPrTPl.jpg
e5DigDo.jpg
0JoxFUY.jpg

DKehoe

None of them really but the upcoming Strange World, Elio and Elemental are going into production after Chapek took over.

TUPrTPl.jpg
e5DigDo.jpg
0JoxFUY.jpg
That's cool, hope they're good. Like I said it was just a joke. I don't really want to get into some argument about this.

ManaByte

Gold Member

TUPrTPl.jpg
e5DigDo.jpg
0JoxFUY.jpg

What goes into production after he takes over doesn't matter when he meddles. Both Thor and Doctor Strange went into production under his watch and he was the one who forced them down to 2 hours.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don’t think he got booed loudly but he sucks at making decisions. Wading into politics was a bad move for the company. You can make movies with agendas and people will not care but when you release a press statement about a law passed in a state where you make a lot of money and not understanding the bill then you are going to suffer.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
He is so slimy because he used covid as a excuse to take away from the parks while raising prices. Taking away jobs and services. It may work for now but it’s not sustainable. Only people who like him are the board members who didn’t loose their big bonuses over covid.

And he definitely got booed. The Twitter clip is only the last part. When he can came out.. there was a lot of booing. They cut the live feed sound and rushed out Aladdin and jasmine so the crowd cheered for those characters. What you here in the clip is half people booing chapek and half cheering for the characters.

lachesis

Huh, I worked on this expo (for my company's portion/section)
I mean, I just checked out the Youtube feed and saw some of my stuff that I prepped is indeed up and produced. lol...
kinda cool to see that, although I was kinda winging it... or flying blind. (It was chaotic, to say the least with so many execs pissing in)

Never really paid attention to what this D23 was. Now I know... it's like Disney Comicon I guess...

Top Bottom