• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Drops Fox Name, Will Rebrand as 20th Century Studios, Searchlight Pictures

VulcanRaven

The mouse has officially killed the fox.

In a move at once unsurprising and highly symbolic, the Walt Disney Company is dropping the “Fox” brand from the 21st Century Fox assets it acquired last March, Variety has learned. The 20th Century Fox film studio will become 20th Century Studios, and Fox Searchlight Pictures will become simply Searchlight Pictures.

On the TV side, however, no final decisions have been made about adjusting the monikers of production units 20th Century Fox Television and Fox 21 Television Studios. Discussions about a possible name change are underway, but no consensus has emerged, according to a source close to the situation.

Disney has already started the process to phase out the Fox name: Email addresses have changed for Searchlight staffers, with the fox.com address replaced with a searchlightpictures.com address. On the poster for Searchlight’s next film “Downhill,” with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Will Ferrell, the credits begin with “Searchlight Pictures Presents.” The film will be the first Searchlight release to debut with the new logo. “Call of the Wild,” an upcoming family film, will be released under the 20th Century banner, sans Fox.

Those logos won’t be dramatically altered, just updated. The most notable change is that the word “Fox” has been removed from the logo marks. Otherwise, the signature elements — swirling klieg lights, monolith, triumphal fanfare — will remain the same.

I hope they will still use the 20th Century Fox fanfare. Maybe they just change it back to how it was in the 1930s:

Would be sad if they stopped using it.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand hate over that movie. It was still better movie that anything marvel comes up with.
Every new xmen since 3 was even worse aside from logan.
But X-Men is Marvel.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this is a big bummer. luckily all the media they created w 20th Century Fox is still out there. libraries of VHS, DVDs, and Blu Rays. it's possible someone picks it back up in the future as well. still, sucks.

the cultural loss caused by monopolies.

Erasing 20th Century Fox seems like a big "fuck you".

It does seem however rather than deal with the same problem every 100 years, they are just going to stay in the 20th century forever. I guess it would be annoying to rebrand everything every time a new century arrives anyways.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
this is a big bummer. luckily all the media they created w 20th Century Fox is still out there. libraries of VHS, DVDs, and Blu Rays. it's possible someone picks it back up in the future as well. still, sucks.

the cultural loss caused by monopolies.

companies seldom, if ever, actually replace the banners on existing media. that's why you still see Touchstone and MCA and RKO banners in front of movies still. its a widespread practice for historical preservation of film.

Jubenhimer

It's sad, but I get why they're doing this. FOX Corporation still exists, and Disney wants to avoid the confusion as to who owns what by dropping a name that they technically don't officially own. I'd still prefer if 21CF didn't die to the hands of the mouse, but that ship has long sailed.

Last edited:

epicnemesis

Yea it’s clear they are making a distinction between Fox (news, sports,etc.) and what they now own. Makes sense to me and was inevitable.

sol_bad

I still don't understand hate over that movie. It was still better movie that anything marvel comes up with.
Every new xmen since 3 was even worse aside from logan.

X3 is one of the worst comic book movies made. Everything about it was terrible. It even treated it's own characters like shit (Cyclops/Xavier).

GAMETA

Banned
Disney soon to own our asses. I mean, mine's belong to Christ, but how long untill they buy him?

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
X3 is one of the worst comic book movies made. Everything about it was terrible. It even treated it's own characters like shit (Cyclops/Xavier).
X3 was a franchise-ending movie because propaganda marketing thinks "trilogies" and shit like that are great ideas.

How about just make movies with good stories. If they become a series, or they have these potential to, don't write a conclusion to the world they are created in.
And don't reboot them a few years later to tell the same stuff.

Gargus

Banned
Hopefully they use 20th century for their R rated brands so they can continue them. Kind of like when Disney acquired miramax. And like how marvel used the Maxx label for their adult comic books for a while.

Last edited:

thequestion

I would of figured Disney would create a new animated fox character like WB does with bugs snacking on a carrot for the animated features. Missed branding/franchising opportunity.

Way before my time, for example, before a Warner’s feature, they would play an animated short feature Bugs or another character with ensuing hijinks. Disney could of done something similar with films being released from their newly acquired fox studios. It could of been a fun little extra before a movie starts, featuring this new fox character, who I’m imagining has a Cajun accent. At the end of each 5 minute cartoon, he would say his catchphrase:” sa, sa, sly as a fox!” And then the fox logo would appear and the film you paid to see would begin. Just a fun little nostalgia type of idea to showcase the new Disney/fox brand.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned

How ? Cyclops was killed by Jean which was pretty awesome from point of telling story. Jean was also one of characters i liked and watching her descent was pretty great. If feel like criticism of X3 is due to kids not liking that their favorite characters are dying.

It is exact same with Logan where Xavier died barely knowing what is happening around him. Show didn't disrespect Xavier they just told logical story. Jean killing Cyclops was logical in that movie.

sol_bad

How ? Cyclops was killed by Jean which was pretty awesome from point of telling story. Jean was also one of characters i liked and watching her descent was pretty great. If feel like criticism of X3 is due to kids not liking that their favorite characters are dying.

It is exact same with Logan where Xavier died barely knowing what is happening around him. Show didn't disrespect Xavier they just told logical story. Jean killing Cyclops was logical in that movie.

If it's logical to kill Scott straight away, why didn't she kill everyone straight away?
<___<

Dude. No. Full stop. People didn’t like X3 because it was a shitty movie. I’m glad you like it. Someone has to, for science and all. But let’s not go off the deep end.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It was interesting to learn last year that the Star Wars theme was written in the same key as the old Fox fanfare which had fallen out of use at the time. Apparently using the old theme itself was an anachronistic choice made by Lucas, kind of a retro nod. So he has JW re arrange the old theme and write his movie’s new one to match. The start of the films was designed as a cinematic nostalgia trip. Now that Disney owns the franchise, the Fox fanfare has been absent from the films, indeed right from the start you can tell something’s missing.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Dude. No. Full stop. People didn’t like X3 because it was a shitty movie. I’m glad you like it. Someone has to, for science and all. But let’s not go off the deep end.

Again i am yet to hear any criticism other than "it was shitty movie".
It is like someone heard from someone opinion and they didn't watch it themselves and repeat what they heard.

If it's logical to kill Scott straight away, why didn't she kill everyone straight away?
<___<

Because she was slowly turning into phoenix and phoenix flared at times taking over Jean. The only person that could stop it was the person who had the most influence over her aka her lover Cyclop. At the time Jean was completely overtaken for a while by Phoenix which killed him and since she was the one not Jean she didn't know about it.

Now why she didn't kill everyone at start ? Because there was no need to. Phoenix if you watch movie is not entirely evil. She only took action when there was threat to her being. Jean removing Phoenix from her was threat which is why she acted on Cyclops and few other. Aside from that Phoenix fought to control her which means that it had to manipulate her from back of her head rather than just overtake her instantly completely and fly off somewhere.

I feel like people watched it as kids and didn't understand anything.

If there is anything i don't like it is final battle. Movie would be much better if Phoenix would just fly off into space never to be seen again but it would be poor comic movie as it was not how it ended in comic.

Last edited:

Doom85

In the Dark Phoenix Saga comic, Scott is the 2nd most important character after Jean. So killing him 30 minutes is about as dumbass a move as they could have made. Oh, but don't worry, we have such great characters to add like Porcupine Man (who thinks he can intimidate Magneto and Pyro. Aw, it's adorable how far his head is up his ass!) and a heavily nerfed version of Juggernaut who only exists to use a super-dead meme that only a toddler would laugh at by now! Also 15 seconds of Psylocke where she's so underused most viewers don't even realize that was her and then have Dark Phoenix kill her, such great care treated to a character countless fans love! Wait, we also got Colossus, I'm sure he'll get some character development if he's going to be in the final battle. Brace yourself, he carries a TV and answers a question from Bobby! Aw yeah, movie don't stop, this is top-tier shit!

Also, we got a Sentinel head! Not a full Sentinel, that would be cool and justify a Danger Room scene instead of just seeing our characters react to something off-screen, but hey we got its head, yays!!! Oh, and Angel, one of the original five X-men in the comics, he's here. He gets two whole scenes and then shows up at the mansion and then fucks off for the rest of the movie. CLEARLY an essential and well-utilized element!

For fucks sake, these dumbasses don't even know how to design Dark Phoenix. The Phoenix is supposed to represent rebirth, so clearly making her look all dead and zombie-like makes TOTAL SENSE. But hey, even if Scott is gone, at least the movie knows to focus on her, right? It's not like they would have her talk some for her first few scenes and then barely say a word afterwards, why only complete chucklefucks would handle this story so incompetently!

The one saving grace to that movie is Kelsey Grammar as Beast. Perfect casting, perfect costume/make-up, hell even the writing is good when it's focused on him. It's so insane, the rest of the movie sucks yet it's like some random screenwriter with actual talent butted in and threw Beast into the script and so you have this odd excellent element entirely on its own. Even the dialogue exchanges show it, like Beast is well-written but everyone else is either barely tolerable or makes me want to punch the screen:

Beast: Wolverine. I hear you're quite the animal.
(me: hey, that's not bad, little irony there without it being in your face. Good job, movi-)
Logan: Look who's talking.
(me: ......Xavier, threaten Logan that if he does something as obnoxiously irritating as spelling out the joke for the audience one more time, you'll mind shut him down for the rest of the movie!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom