• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Invites Game Developers to Tell Original Stories With Popular Franchises.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sean Shoptaw, senior vp games and interactive experiences at Disney, on Wednesday gave an update on the studio's new approach to video game licensing at the 2020 DICE Summit at the Aria Convention Center in Las Vegas.

"I'm here for one specific reason: to empower you to do really unique things with our [catalog]," the exec told the crowd of game developers. "We want to tap into the power of creatives across the industry."

Shoptaw stressed the importance of original storytelling and "reimagining" what Disney characters and settings could be.

The Disney exec extended an invitation to game developers in the room and throughout the industry to "come and play" with its extensive catalog of franchises, which now include many 20th Century (formerly 20th Century Fox) properties such as Avatar and Bob's Burgers, among many others.

Heh, how'd that work out last time?

220px-Talesofthebountyhunters.jpg

220px-Kotorbox.jpg

Last edited:

Gp1

As long as they follow the strict brand guideline...

or we can have a mortal Kombat Disney?

Sean Shoptaw, senior vp games and interactive experiences at Disney, on Wednesday gave an update on the studio's new approach to video game licensing at the 2020 DICE Summit at the Aria Convention Center in Las Vegas.

"I'm here for one specific reason: to empower you to do really unique things with our [catalog]," the exec told the crowd of game developers. "We want to tap into the power of creatives across the industry."

Shoptaw stressed the importance of original storytelling and "reimagining" what Disney characters and settings could be.

The Disney exec extended an invitation to game developers in the room and throughout the industry to "come and play" with its extensive catalog of franchises, which now include many 20th Century (formerly 20th Century Fox) properties such as Avatar and Bob's Burgers, among many others.

" Please, ladies and gentleman, try to study new ways to illustrate stories with our franchises, and try create something we will fix with sjw shit and throw the rest in the toilet "

If I were a developer, I'd be excited to work with Disney lol

Aside for my troll, tho, I really miss games like Ps2's Pk, Quack Attack, and Disney platforms like this

The only game I remember like this is Maybe epic mickey and its sequel, but we didn't have a good game with Donald since forever ( not counting KH for obvious reasons)

I'd pay billions for an awesome Cell shaded action / adventure or platform starring Donald duck and the other ducks and / or other comic characters

Doom85

Hmm, Disney films that could have a story continuation in a video game?

Big Hero 6 (Action/RPG)
Aladdin (Action/Adventure)
The Rescuers (Action/Adventure)
The Great Mouse Detective (Action/Adventure)
Mulan (Character Action)

And god, the many Disney Animated TV series have tons of video game potential.

Andodalf

Banned
Then why did you make KH3 cut anything in Frozen world that involved the princesses fighting or Elsa being a pseudo villain?

Cravis

Should have let CliffyB continue making his Aliens game.

How about letting someone else other than EA have a go at the Simpsons since all they’re going to do is Tapped Out?

Also the Independence Day IP is ripe for some killer video games.

GreyHorace

Okay Disney. Buy out the contract from EA, and restart LucasArts so you can make some decent Star Wars games that don't include microtransaction bullshit. Jedi Fallen Order was great but I don't trust EA to hit a homerun twice. Other developers not owned by them should given a chance to do their take on a galaxy far, far, away...

Also, how about a crazy idea for a new RPG? A crossover RPG starring your characters much like Kingdom Hearts, Except this time, instead of Final Fantasy, have them crossover with The Witcher! And get CD Projekt Red to make it. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
tell "new" stories but make sure to do them in these decades old franchises that we own
Um? I mean, this is basically announcing that they're willing to license their IP to interested game studios, if a studio doesn't want to license their IP but just make their own they don't have to deal with Disney to begin with. But those who did want to use Disney IP may now find it's easier for that to happen, with less restrictions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom