• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney is reportedly learning from their misses and will try to focus on quality over quantity.

Spyxos

Gold Member
bob-iger-disneyland.jpg

Bob Iger and top execs stressed a commitment to quality over quantity as the studio’s film slate has had a bumpy ride

Bergman, as Iger did today and has in recent months, acknowledged a year of misfires with the latest, Wish following The Marvels, and Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. Great storytelling isn’t just a box office or ratings story but has ripple effects on parks and consumer products. But Bergman promised the studio will learned from its down year at the box office and move on with a slate that includes The Omen prequel, a new Planet of the Apes, Inside Out 2, a new Alien and Deadpool 3, which recently resumed filming post actors’ strike.

“We obviously want to build our studio back to making not only great films consistently but [to] our preeminent status in the business,” added Iger on the film biz.

Disney’s priorities right now, according to Iger, are continuing to build out theme parks, turning ESPN into “the preeminent digital sports platform” and bringing ESPN direct to consumers.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Meh, honestly I'm shocked how much I'm enjoying stuff from studios like Blumhouse and A24 than trying to keep these megagojira studios open that have clearly lost the plot of what makes people go to the movies to begin with. I don't want another Alien, I don't care that Deadpool paid Hugh Jackman to revive himself as Wolverine, who honestly cares about Pixar movies anymore, I'm just over it and it's clear many others are.

Btw if you're reading this, Whiplash is one of the best non-horror horror related films I've seen even though it's about a jazz musician. You'll know what I mean when you watch it.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
bob-iger-disneyland.jpg

Bob Iger and top execs stressed a commitment to quality over quantity as the studio’s film slate has had a bumpy ride

Bergman, as Iger did today and has in recent months, acknowledged a year of misfires with the latest, Wish following The Marvels, and Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. Great storytelling isn’t just a box office or ratings story but has ripple effects on parks and consumer products. But Bergman promised the studio will learned from its down year at the box office and move on with a slate that includes The Omen prequel, a new Planet of the Apes, Inside Out 2, a new Alien and Deadpool 3, which recently resumed filming post actors’ strike.

“We obviously want to build our studio back to making not only great films consistently but [to] our preeminent status in the business,” added Iger on the film biz.

Disney’s priorities right now, according to Iger, are continuing to build out theme parks, turning ESPN into “the preeminent digital sports platform” and bringing ESPN direct to consumers.

homer-girar.gif

Until finally Disney learned... the hard way.

He could have avoided that punishment if they had made the movies like they did in the '40s and '90s.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Meh, honestly I'm shocked how much I'm enjoying stuff from studios like Blumhouse and A24 than trying to keep these megagojira studios open that have clearly lost the plot of what makes people go to the movies to begin with. I don't care about another Alien, I don't care that Deadpool paid Hugh Jackman to revive himself as Wolverine, I don't care about Pixar movies anymore, I'm just over it and it's clear many others are.

Btw if you're reading this, Whiplash is one of the best non-horror horror related films I've seen even though it's about a jazz musician. You'll know what I mean when you watch it.
i hate whiplash with my soul friend.

Dont hate me :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
bob-iger-disneyland.jpg

The recent Exorcist sequel and Prometheus films aren't really giving me confidence in a New Omen and Alien film. It seems all studios can do nowadays is shit on classics.

Cyberpunkd

The problem with less quantity is less merchandising to sell, thus lower profits. There is only as much a market can absorb per IP.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Deja vu.

Three years ago, same site:

Never trust a CEO or earnings report rhetoric. Only trust the actual company performance and products released and numbers.

It's like every earnings report or board room meeting where shit hits the fan..... "The company is facing challenges with soft sales"

In other words, the company is fucking up, lying through its teeth and unless they can prove to the world things are changing (so far not with Disney content 3 years after that old article), and if there is no proof of a 180 they'll still be doing the same shit (like they are doing now).

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

They used to release really good live action family comedy movies back in the 90s, what ever happened to those?
They were caught off guard by the more edgy Pixar movies in late 1990s so they have decided wholesome family entertainment is on its way out.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yeah, this is far too little, far too late. And they're just words.

They've already damaged the reputation of themselves and their IPs.
The vast majority of people don't care because they are not as plugged in as people on Gaf or other people that are extremely politically driven. Just look at their output on their horrible remakes of old classics. They have been money in the bank for the most part. Same goes for their various hits in recent years. 99% parents don't give two shits what Disney (or any other corporation for that matter) has done for the past two years if a new Frozen comes out or if there is a new animated must have for their kids. They will line up to buy tickets and merch because its what their kids want and it will get them to shut up for a bit. Just like how 90% of the people who bitch and moan about EA or Activision still buys their games. Just like how people who complain about WoW pay that sub every month. Its easy to talk and complain. Its harder to avoid giving them money if you are invested and parents are perpetually invested in Disney. They have all the princess stuff for girls and they now have all the Marvel stuff for boys.

It also doesn't matter if you don't care about Disney or their products for your kids, because odds are the OTHER parents do so their kids do. So your kid gets left out of you don't let them take part. So there is a peer pressure element involved. Nobody wants their kid to be the one left out at recess or on the weekends so they let them partake even if they don't care. Action figures, costumes, movie tickets, and every other merchandise you can imagine. That's not even mentioning that "Disney World/Land" is like THE bucket list trip for many parents and their kids. They also have a built in pipeline of revenue from generation to generation because everyone grew up on Disney and then proceed to show it to their kids. Disney is the very definition of "Too big to fail" in the media world. They have built their castle so tall on such firm ground generation after generation that they can shrug off many hits that would kill other entities. They own too many IP's and have too much nostalgia in the tank for them to suddenly sink into obscurity somehow like some on here desperately wish for.

Disney isn't going anywhere in our lifetimes.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I think there might be too many Marvel tv shows. In the past I always went to see all the MCU movies when they were released in theaters but not anymore. I have many Disney+ shows to watch.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The vast majority of people don't care because they are not as plugged in as people on Gaf or other people that are extremely politically driven. Just look at their output on their horrible remakes of old classics. They have been money in the bank for the most part. Same goes for their various hits in recent years. 99% parents don't give two shits what Disney (or any other corporation for that matter) has done for the past two years if a new Frozen comes out or if there is a new animated must have for their kids. They will line up to buy tickets and merch because its what their kids want and it will get them to shut up for a bit. Just like how 90% of the people who bitch and moan about EA or Activision still buys their games. Just like how people who complain about WoW pay that sub every month. Its easy to talk and complain. Its harder to avoid giving them money if you are invested and parents are perpetually invested in Disney. They have all the princess stuff for girls and they now have all the Marvel stuff for boys.

It also doesn't matter if you don't care about Disney or their products for your kids, because odds are the OTHER parents do so their kids do. So your kid gets left out of you don't let them take part. So there is a peer pressure element involved. Nobody wants their kid to be the one left out at recess or on the weekends so they let them partake even if they don't care. Action figures, costumes, movie tickets, and every other merchandise you can imagine. That's not even mentioning that "Disney World/Land" is like THE bucket list trip for many parents and their kids. They also have a built in pipeline of revenue from generation to generation because everyone grew up on Disney and then proceed to show it to their kids. Disney is the very definition of "Too big to fail" in the media world. They have built their castle so tall on such firm ground generation after generation that they can shrug off many hits that would kill other entities. They own too many IP's and have too much nostalgia in the tank for them to suddenly sink into obscurity somehow like some on here desperately wish for.

While I agree Disney isn’t going anywhere, it’s very obvious that the audience and public have turned away from them (flopping movies, theme parks dropping in attendance, low ratings on TV, etc.) and this will continue to happen if they don’t course correct massively. Companies are too big to fail, right up to the point that they fail.

DKehoe

They could buy another mega IP, like Pokémon for example, and create a cinematic universe from it.

There are plenty IPs left to snap up.
Disney: Just one more IP acquisition, bro. I promise, just one more and everything will be fine. Just a few billion more to get this IP for a new cinematic universe and we'll be good. I mean it this time.

Disney: Just one more IP acquisition, bro. I promise, just one more and everything will be fine. Just a few billion more to get this IP for a new cinematic universe and we'll be good. I mean it this time.

For All the IPs they have they aren't able to profit off of it

They shouldn't have started going down the Feminazi/woke Route with Star Wars and Marvel. It would have been easy money for them. But that SJW rot now infest 99% of western entertainment lol

A good example is since they have the Alien IP they haven't made any movie and show involving that IP.

That new Alien movie looks interesting but since it's Disney I'm cautious. That Noah Hawley Alien show I hope turns out good despite hating Legion, I do love his other show Fargo

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Have you had your head buried in the sand for 14 months?, Disney have just had their worse year ever, they have lost upwards of 750 million dollars (its hard to know exact numbers as marketing budgets are not disclosed). Their share price is through the floor. Families have turned their backs on Disney and are not buying what they are selling. You seem to be either unaware or unable to face facts.

DKehoe

For All the IPs they have they aren't able to profit off of it

They shouldn't have started going down the Feminazi/woke Route with Star Wars and Marvel. It would have been easy money for them. But that SJW rot now infest 99% of western entertainment lol
There's plenty of good stuff out there. Some people get too bogged down in that culture war shit.

There's plenty of good stuff out there. Some people get too bogged down in that culture war shit.

I tend to watch more than Disney though and the rest outside of Disney is mostly shit too. WB, Sony Pictures, DC etc, all their entertainment is full with Feminazi/SJW crap too

The only quality entertainment is coming from the east nowadays

Last edited:

DKehoe

Yeah I tend to watch more than Disney though and the rest outside of Disney is mostly shit too

The only quality entertainment is coming from the east nowadays
I mean yeh, people only looking to one company for their entertainment only have themselves to blame if they're left unsatisfied.

There's been lots of good stuff made in the west. Off the top of my head this year has had The Bear, Succession, I Think You Should Leave, Oppenheimer, John Wick 4, Killers of the Flower Moon and Blackberry. I can name more but the point is the stuff is there.

I mean yeh, people only looking to one company for their entertainment only have themselves to blame if they're left unsatisfied.

There's been lots of good stuff made in the west. Off the top of my head this year has had The Bear, Succession, I Think You Should Leave, Oppenheimer, John Wick 4, Killers of the Flower Moon and Blackberry. I can name more but the point is the stuff is there.

Funny enough I watched Oppenheimer and John Wick 4 and loved it. I recently watched Silo and loved it. I'm waiting for Killers of the Flower Moon to come to Streaming. I'm planning on watching The Bear and Succession. I just wait for stuff to come to Streaming so I can either stream or pirate it or if it's a movie I'm actually interested in supporting, I than use VOD.

DKehoe

Funny enough I watched Oppenheimer and John Wick 4 and loved it. I recently watched Silo and loved it. I'm waiting for Killers of the Flower Moon to come to Streaming. I'm planning on watching The Bear and Succession. I just wait for stuff to come to Streaming so I can either stream or pirate it or if it's a movie I'm actually interested in supporting, I than use VOD.
Glad to hear Silo is good. That's one I've been curious to check out. For a company that's so big on promoting its brand, Apple seems to do a really bad at marketing their shows. I still need to watch Severance, which I've heard great things about.

Now that Succession is finished you're in for a great time since you can just go right through it at whatever pace you want. The Bear was one I only watched fairly recently but it really hooked me and lived up to the hype. But unlike Succession it's not done yet. Season 3 only recently got confirmed so it might be a while off. Hope you enjoy both of those and Killers Of The Flower Moon!

Glad to hear Silo is good. That's one I've been curious to check out. For a company that's so big on promoting its brand, Apple seems to do a really bad at marketing their shows. I still need to watch Severance, which I've heard great things about.

Now that Succession is finished you're in for a great time since you can just go right through it at whatever pace you want. The Bear was one I only watched fairly recently but it really hooked me and lived up to the hype. But unlike Succession it's not done yet. Season 3 only recently got confirmed so it might be a while off. Hope you enjoy both of those and Killers Of The Flower Moon!

Silo has one of the rare exceptions in western media where the main female lead is actually well written/no agenda pushing

Severance is another of those shows I have to watch

And yeah that's the plan with Succession and Barry

As for Killer of the Flower Moon, I can't wait. I'm a huge Scorsese fan. And everything I heard about this movie is that it's fantastic. I loved The Irishman too

Top Bottom