• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Speedstorm: The First Preview

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Does this new free-to-play racer have the bare necessities, or is Gameloft taking the mickey? IGN was given an early glimpse at Disney Speedstorm in action ahead of this week's closed beta.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
. . .at worst, it looks like they are actually doing something more than just throwing their licensed characters at this.

MiguelItUp

I mean, maybe it'll be okay? Looks decent from this footage. But gotta see the final product, and of course, the monetization.

Saber

Gold Member
Looks lamish to me. Might change my view since its not final, but first impression doesn't sounds good for me.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We have been working diligently to craft an amazing racing experience for  Disney Speedstorm, capturing our vision of the exciting magic fans enjoy in their favorite Disney and Pixar characters and games. We want fans to not only be entertained, but to enjoy a fast-paced and competitive racing experience they will return to play for years to come.

With this in mind and after careful consideration, we have decided to delay the  worldwide release of Disney Speedstorm to meet our expectations and provide players with a more immersive racing experience, customization offerings, game modes and more.

Fans are invited to join us on the speedway when Disney Speedstorm launches in 2023 on PC and Consoles.

nikos

The playtest was decent. I don't like Disney anymore but I'll probably play if it's fun enough.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Disney Speedstorm Early Access reviewed by Luke Reilly on PC. Also available on PlayStation, Xbox, and Switch.

"Disney Speedstorm in Early Access is a fundamentally good kart racer that’s currently too light on tracks and too repetitive to warrant the required investment. Worse still, it’s buried beneath a veritable Splash Mountain of gacha garbage and so many discrete currencies that do different things that it almost seems like a parody of the entire free-to-play genre. Nothing sucks like gacha, plucks your bucks like gacha, makes you jump through hoops for Donald Duck like gacha."

• 🎮 "Disney Speedstorm" was supposed to be a free-to-play cart racer game from the developers of "Asphalt Series", Gameloft, but the plan has changed. Instead, the game is in early access, and it requires payment to play.
  • 🎮 Despite being a decent arcade racing game, the game's "gacha" elements and free-to-play DNA may not appeal to players who paid for it.
  • 🎮 The game has a good sense of weight to the carts as they jostle on track and crash back to the course from jumps, and it has a great drift feel, with easy mid-slide adjustment that allows players to open them up into long low angle power slides. The handling of the game is excellent.
  • 🎮 The combat system is interesting, and there are different ways to use items, such as tapping a fire pickup to send flames licking from the side of your cart that will stun any opponents you touch or charged over a few seconds to trigger a blast all around you that can knock out multiple other races simultaneously. Each character has a distinct themed power-up.
  • 🎮 The selection of characters and tracks is random, and the vehicles seem super vanilla compared to the carts of Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed. The tracks are not especially technical and tend to feel very repetitive very early.
  • 🎮 The game has a Destiny-like live service, so new tracks will arrive at regular intervals. However, at the moment, the early access version has limited content.
  • 🎮 The game has a complex upgrade and currency system that may be overwhelming for some players. The game offers digital tokens and an exclusive racing suit as a reward for playing it, but it may not be enough to entice players to spend their money on it.

Mephisto40

It looks so slow, maybe there will be engine classes like in Mario Kart?

I really don't like the point at 1:45 in the most recent gameplay, that shows somebody drifting, whilst being overtaken by somebody who is just cutting the corner, you should be rewarded for drifting in a game like this, not punished

Last edited:

Dural

Seems like it could be good if they just get rid of the stupid gacha shit, not paying for a game that includes that.

Esca

There's a trial on PlayStation if you have the premium tier, they give you 3 hours to play.
Saw the trail and my nephew was hanging out wanting me to play something and he loves a lot of Disney characters so gave it a shot. We spent a little over 2 hours playing the free play mode (all characters are free to use there) and he loved watching sully Mike Mickey etc racing and skiing with the courses and music. Big hit with him and I actually really like the game. It's fun and plays well. I spent the last of the trial playing through the single player stuff.

The downside is there so many different menus to open inside of others. The different currencies are confusing and doesn't make it clear in his you can earn them. From what saw you couldn't buy any of the currencies with real money. I'm thinking of picking it up now instead of waiting to next year when it goes f2p.

Worth trying out for sure

Top Bottom