• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN Preview] Hellblade 2 Prioritizes Narratives and Story over Gameplay

Opinions are like Assholes. Gamespot literally just described it as being exciting (Having played it mind you) while you're saying it "Looks" boring, not having played it, just looking at it lol. Hmm, which is which here?
I don't have to play something to know if it's interesting or not. I can understand that if you've never played a game before but, when you've played tens of thousands of hours of differing games, you can tell by the gameplay video. The last game also had boring combat and while they've improved the animations in this game, the combat still looks boring.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Previews are what previews are...paid advertising. Most industry outlets do these "preview" pieces which don't ever talk about the icebergs. Look at the previews for Redfall (esp the ones done by IGN), those "previewers" all use the same "approved" messages to describe their experience with the preview, and the final game was released months before it was ready.

It's paid engagement content....of course it is going to be positive.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Previews are what previews are...paid advertising. Most industry outlets do these "preview" pieces which don't ever talk about the icebergs. Look at the previews for Redfall (esp the ones done by IGN), those "previewers" all use the same "approved" messages to describe their experience with the preview, and the final game was released months before it was ready.

It's paid engagement content....of course it is going to be positive.
Exactly. It's rare for a preview to be critical. Probably 98% of the time it's all roses like it's the best game ever, and sometimes you'll get subjective BS opinions propping it up like if the game has some issues..... "Ya, the frame rate can be better, but dont worry gamers I'm sure it'll be fixed at final launch!"

One thing thats important is if any previews actually nail the game, thats a major bad sign. Something must be so bad that even the writer or website is even willing to tell gamers it's bad at the possible consequences of future revenue or relationships with the game studio.

Last edited:
And I thought games were about pressing buttons! Silly me.
celebrity apprentice teresa GIF by RealityTVGIFs

Stuart360

Exactly. It's rare for a preview to be critical. Probably 98% of the time it's all roses like it's the best game ever, and sometimes you'll get subjective BS opinions propping it up like if the game has some issues..... "Ya, the frame rate can be better, but dont worry gamers I'm sure it'll be fixed at final launch!"

One thing thats important is if any previews actually nail the game, thats a major bad sign. Something must be so bad that even the writer or website is even willing to tell gamers it's bad at the possible consequences of future revenue or relationships with the game studio.
A lot of previews said Suicide squad was shit, some literally.

I don't get why gamers this gen worry about company profits more than even the companies themselves. Here we have a game launching for $50 new which is a more than fair price. Or you can rent it. Two consumer friendly business options.

Well its well known that Xbox was almost shut down until Phil Spencer convinced them not to do it. So maybe not losing your whole digital library because the trillion dollar company thinks the profits aren't big enough to continue going is why people care.

DaGwaphics

I expected this to be one of those "cinematic" experiences with encounters being a lot like the OG. Seems like that is going to play out. That's basically what the devs have said already. Most of MS gaming games are gameplay first experiences, having some of them deliver some "narrative first" games isn't a problem. Woudn't want the entire umbrella of developers to switch to that however.

I remember NakeyJakey talking about in his TLOU2 video how he would've appreciated a better balance between Story and Gameplay in TLOU2. It was like an 80/20 ratio between watching cutscenes and on rails sections, compared to gameplay. I'm inclined to agree. I know TLOU2 is the popular game to pick on these days, but I had the same issues with MGS4 as well.

I appreciate good storytelling in games, but I want to play games, not watch them. As others said, it gets to a point where you should go write a book instead.
20% gameplay? TLOU2 has tons of gameplay and combat mechanics, but to suggest Hellblade and Tlou are even in the same ball park is shows why you can hardly take any criticism about TLou serious. I think its time to compare the gameplay reveal trailers, because it sets the tone for what gamers can expect. Gameplay reveal trailers can make or break the success of a game, so they are important.

Now here is the reveal trailer for Hellblade 2...

Tlou2 is linear in map design, but still has different combat encounters and options you can choose how to engage the enemy. Hellblade 2 is completely on rails judging from the gameplay. Its a scripted combat encouter that only gives you command prompts to attack without freedom to move left or right, just foward and then backwards. You are clearly mistaken if you think Hellblade is ANYWHERE close to Playstations "walking simulators".

Bill Murray Drink GIF

Last edited:

Katatonic

I bought the first one day one and was very disappointed with the gameplay. Closed off combat rings 15' in diameter, barebones "swordplay", "puzzles" where you stare at trees and rocks trying to line them up to reveal patterns, I guess to simulate insanity (or drive you insane).
The only positive was that it was 60hz on ps4 (at least on the pro, where I played it).

The sequel was hyped as the flagship xbox title after Starfield. I was at least hoping for them to expand greatly on the gameplay but all I see is a main character making weird, over dramatic face gestures which give new meaning to the term Uncanny Valley.

Maybe I'll get the enhanced PS version on sale down the line. Doesn't matter really.

On a side note, it's funny to see MS always lttp.
Their fans make fun of Returnal's main character only for MS to show Starfield with a suspiciously similar looking female character.
They make fun of ugly Aloy only to be outdone by that Fable chick(?).
They make fum of 3rd person narrative focused games only for the flagship xbox game to be just that, only 10 yrs late. smh.

Part of me thinks they had a grander vision for this game but it got scoped to hell and back.

Madflavor

20% gameplay? TLOU2 has tons of gameplay and combat mechanics, but to suggest Hellblade and Tlou are even in the same ball park is shows why you can hardly take any criticism about TLou serious. I think its time to compare the gameplay reveal trailers, because it sets the tone for what gamers can expect. Gameplay reveal trailers can make or break the success of a game, so they are important.

Now here is the reveal trailer for Hellblade 2...

Tlou2 is linear in map design, but still has different combat encounters and options you can choose how to engage the enemy. Hellblade 2 is completely on rails judging from the gameplay. Its a scripted combat encouter that only gives you command prompts to attack without freedom to move left or right, just foward and then backwards. You are clearly mistaken if you think Hellblade is ANYWHERE close to Playstations "walking simulators".

Bill Murray Drink GIF

Eh I see where NakeyJakey is coming from though. I personally would've appreciated it if they trimmed the fat out of some sections in TLOU2.

I bought the first one day one and was very disappointed with the gameplay. Closed off combat rings 15' in diameter, barebones "swordplay", "puzzles" where you stare at trees and rocks trying to line them up to reveal patterns, I guess to simulate insanity (or drive you insane)..
why-not-both-why-not.gif

Eh..

hH0SThU.png

They tried once, it killed the (extremely talented) studio and made them look like a joke.

Unless you were implying the usual PlayStation "exclusives" are similar to Hellblade II.. in that case I won't be the one correcting such twisted perspective.
There some hardcore PlayStation fans swear that’s a 10/10 game. Looked amazing and play well when you did. Was just felt so short for how much you did play

nial

Gold Member
Here we have a game launching for $50 new which is a more than fair price. Or you can rent it. Two consumer friendly business options.
A $50 digital-only game is not consumer-friendly, though.
Helldivers 2 is $40 and has a physical version.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So? And in that case, at the very least they have one coming up, and they're Larian, not fricking MS.

Ah, so it's only an issue because of MS. You don't really think $50 or above for a digital only game is anti-consumer. Gotcha.

Anyway.

BG3's physical release was announced after the game came out and recently got delayed. Hellblade 1 also got a physical release a year or so after that game first came out. You will probably get an LRG style release for this in or less than a year.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Ah, so it's only an issue because of MS. You don't really think $50 or above for a digital only game is anti-consumer. Gotcha.
Please tell me where I implied that being the case. BG3 not having a physical release at launch sucked, but at least they're making up for it, even if it took many months later.
But yes, it's a much bigger issue if we're talking about MS, which is, you know, much, MUCH bigger than Larian. Not sure why I have to point that out.
Hellblade 1 also got a physical release a year or so after that game first came out.
You mean the self-published indie game, Hellblade 1? Yep.
You and I know that if they're not releasing it with a physical version now, they never will, unless we're talking about a-
You will probably get an LRG style release for this in or less than a year.
Yeah, they can fuck off even harder.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Please tell me where I implied that being the case. BG3 not having a physical release at launch sucked, but at least they're making up for it, even if it took many months later.
But yes, it's a much bigger issue if we're talking about MS, which is, you know, much, MUCH bigger than Larian. Not sure why I have to point that out.

You mean the self-published indie game, Hellblade 1? Yep.
You and I know that if they're not releasing it with a physical version now, they never will, unless we're talking about a-

Yeah, they can fuck off even harder.

You don't have to point out the difference between MS and Larian to me, your original post was a blanket statement about $50 and digital content. Alan Wake 2 was $60 and digital only even though it was published by Epic, another multi-billion company. Both games seem to have done reasonably well despite being digital only. The consumers voted with their wallets.

505 published the PS4 version and MS published the Xbox version on physical for HB1, Ninja Theory didn't do it.

I don't really care about LRG but if someone really wants a physical copy but chooses not to get it if it's an LRG joint, then there's not much else left to say.

SJRB

Gold Member
So it's short, linear, runs at 30 frames per second and prioritizes narrative and story over gameplay. How long did they work on this?

Also I can't believe people are unironically pulling a "what about TLOU2" in regards to this news.

nial

Gold Member
You don't have to point out the difference between MS and Larian to me, your original post was a blanket statement about $50 and digital content. Alan Wake 2 was $60 and digital only even though it was published by Epic, another multi-billion company.
I thought it was as much of a shit move (even worse, actually) if it makes you feel better.
505 published the PS4 version
Yes, that's how it goes with indie games in most cases.
and MS published the Xbox version on physical for HB1, Ninja Theory didn't do it.
As soon as they acquired them, right? If so, it makes the Hellblade 2 situation even worse.
I don't really care about LRG but if someone really wants a physical copy but chooses not to get it if it's an LRG joint, then there's not much else left to say.
I would expect much better for a $50 game (only $10 less than the AAA industry standard 3.5 years ago) published by Microsoft Corporation.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hopefully the PC version is optimised well. Day one 60fps would be lovely.

Will deffo try it on series x to see how it feels as I imagine that 30fps if rock solid locked with motion blur would look okish on this type of game. I played the quarry on series x and that wasn't too bad at 30fps tbh, it does add to the film type look of the game.

Still, I'm a 60fps junky so I'll try both.

Melfice7

Almost sounds like its a sequel to hellblade... anyone that was expecting anything else was kidding themselves

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Dead serious. That was the plan for a lot of Xbox studios. Avowed and State of Decay 3 being two other examples of games using UE5.
But that leads to the question: why even use UE5 when those games don't even look as good as late last-gen games?

A better approach would have been to deliver a good-looking UE4 game a few years ago instead of delivering a bad-looking UE5 game a few years too late.

But that's a separate discussion that shouldn't be in this thread.

hyperbertha

Eh..

hH0SThU.png

They tried once, it killed the (extremely talented) studio and made them look like a joke.

Unless you were implying the usual PlayStation "exclusives" are similar to Hellblade II.. in that case I won't be the one correcting such twisted perspective.
Ready at dawn dead by night.

Melfice7

Lets act like 2019 Series X reveal showcase during TGA didn't set the sequel up to be something much grander, with a much bigger budget.

Everything they shown had the same type of gameplay as the first game, and graphics plastered with effects like depth of field and chromatic aberration.

And yes i did play the first game, enjoyed it for what it was even with the dull gameplay

All im saying is that it was clear what type of game it was gonna be

Top Bottom