• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"DIY Perks" beat Sony to the punch on their cooling solution for PS5

supernova8

Banned
This dude is relatively well-known and he has a lot of cool videos doing all sorts of DIY stuff.

Anyway in this video (from 2017!) he mounted a CPU cooler onto a GPU to see if he could get better cooling at lower noise levels. If you look at the bit where I've set it to start, he removes the fan in the middle and has a fan on either side pulling cool air into the middle. I may be wrong but isn't this the same thing PS5 is doing?

I know this is not really worth making a thread for but... thought it was kinda cool!

Max_Po

Banned
Cmosffr.gif

supernova8

Banned
Liquid metal included?

Ah sorry nope I was referring to the fan design rather than anything else.

I looked up liquid metal and it doesn't seem to offer a monumental improvement for CPUs or GPUs, I saw a video where adding liquid metal to a PS4 Pro decreased load temps by about 6 degrees (C) but the fans were still really loud. Maybe that's an issue with the fans rather than anything else.. not sure.. so it's a nice improvement but considering the relative cost of liquid metal vs thermal paste I wonder if it's really worth it for mass production. I suppose they will be sourcing it cheap in high volume but yeah on an individual basis.......

In contrast the fan design seemed to make a big difference. Reducing temperature AND noise by allowing fans to run at a really low speed.

Last edited:

Keihart

All jokes aside, that channel it's really good.

Edit: The wood PC video it's pretty awesome:

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
This dude is relatively well-known and he has a lot of cool videos doing all sorts of DIY stuff.

Anyway in this video (from 2017!) he mounted a CPU cooler onto a GPU to see if he could get better cooling at lower noise levels. If you look at the bit where I've set it to start, he removes the fan in the middle and has a fan on either side pulling cool air into the middle. I may be wrong but isn't this the same thing PS5 is doing?

I know this is not really worth making a thread for but... thought it was kinda cool!

The PS5 only has one fan so no, not what the PS5 is doing.

Kumomeme

the heatsink height also something sony considered. cant have it too tall or wide either like in the video. not to mention airflow in the case. both ps5 and xsx basically itx pc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom