• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart on PC match - and exceed - the PS5 experience?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is an awesomely fascinating port. I love seeing all this PCIe 2v3v4. Finally a game which can flex and use these new advancements.

As some noted, were going to need more custom HW to compensate. Something like the custom stuff on PS5.

This is the type of advancement I've been waiting for since all the talk about this started years ago.

Folks are sleeping on the importance of this release due to this new implementation.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I think they are/will. This was never a huge system seller to begin with. I am just happy they are successful enough to warrant sequels. These games are surprisingly fun and game-play heavy. Something that is missing in a lot of the triple A releases that are like visual bimbos without the substance(gameplay).

This game is a complete package. I was missing out, but being patient has paid off.
Not my type of game but what it does it does well and looks incredible.

I can imagine larger scale platformers using the tech.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This is an awesomely fascinating port. I love seeing all this PCIe 2v3v4. Finally a game which can flex and use these new advancements.

As some noted, were going to need more custom HW to compensate. Something like the custom stuff on PS5.

This is the type of advancement I've been waiting for since all the talk about this started years ago.

Folks are sleeping on the importance of this release due to this new implementation.
No, please, not this.

The problem with PC isn't the hardware. It's that no one can be bothered to properly utilize it because since times immemorial the answer has been "get better hardware".

You see hardware that should dust the PS5 lagging behind it. Your first thought shouldn't be to think about new hardware to compensate, it should be about how to actually utilize the power of what we have. Now there are major bottlenecks and just getting faster components isn't going to cut it. We need to come up with solutions to take advantage of those expensive components.

Hell, isn't it crazy that we've had SSDs for over a decade and that it's just now that even a basic-bitch 500MB/s SATA is truly be taxed? Awesome that we have those 10GB/s drives geared at gaming but for what exactly? To be constrained by the ancient software stacks powering these archaic I/O solutions?

DirectStorage is a step in the right direction. They need to do more to leverage the power of the hardware.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
No, please, not this.

The problem with PC isn't the hardware. It's that no one can be bothered to properly utilize it because since times immemorial the answer has been "get better hardware".

You see hardware that should dust the PS5 lagging behind it. Your first thought shouldn't be to think about new hardware to compensate, it should be about how to actually utilize the power of what we have. Now there are major bottlenecks and just getting faster components isn't going to cut it. We need to come up with solutions to take advantage of those expensive components.

Hell, isn't it crazy that we've had SSDs for over a decade and that it's just now that even a basic-bitch 500MB/s SATA is truly be taxed? Awesome that we have those 10GB/s drives geared at gaming but for what exactly? To be constrained by the ancient software stacks powering these archaic I/O solutions?

DirectStorage is a step in the right direction. They need to do more to leverage the power of the hardware.
Listen you piece of poop

I want the Homer Simpson car PC and you aren't stopping the dream. I have spoken.

You should start remember that a launch game like R&C was in development long before these console were released. This game was developed on earlier hardware, heck even on prototype PS5 hardware. Insomniac stated themselves that they didn’t even scratched the surface with R&C and the PS5 SSD I/O capabilities. It wasn’t using the maximum performance.

Their video was very clear and if you still have trouble to understand that after 3 years, than you are a complete retard. I was reading your post. You should put back that HDD just because of the stupid things you said.
Ok, didn't realize I was talking with a 14 year old.

Three

This game flopping seems more important than running it off a zip drive IMO. It’s not even in the top 100 most played games on launch day.

Why are you looking at concurrent players for sales performance when you can, you know look at the actual steam sales chart?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
jlAHVnQ.png

This shows the big setpiece portal loading times. Turns out 500 mbps is enough. And even the hdd which took 10 seconds to load the first portal kept up with ssds after the first long loading portal. So the loading is basically done on the first portal.

I’m too lazy to pull up my posts but i repeatedly said that no one was going to bother utilizing the 5.5 gbps of ssd speeds and cerny should’ve focused instead on a more powerful gpu. God knows how much this thing cost and even the game designed around the ssd doesn’t seem to be utilizing more than 10% of its available bandwidth.

Hope the ps5 pro and ps6 focus more on cpu and gpu than these ancillary specs.

clintar

I'm pretty sure the guy is just wrong and running out VRAM from having RT enabled. The smoking bullet is that he's using Medium settings which barely streams any data from disk.

I already ran some tests comparing disk reads during the intro sequence and here's how they stack up.

PS5: ~16GB
PC Very High: ~19GB
PC High: ~5GB
PC Medium: ~1.8GB

I'm running the game on Very High settings without RT and it barely makes a blip on the bus load. He's running on Medium settings with RT and it's completely thrashing his bus. Both of us are on PCIe 3.0 so it's clearly not because of DirectStorage when my game is pushing 10x more disk data through.
Thrashing the PCI-e bus? Why would ray tracing traverse the PCI-e bus? That sounds like a pretty big bottleneck. Do you mean RT would slow down the decompression?

Kenpachii

jlAHVnQ.png

This shows the big setpiece portal loading times. Turns out 500 mbps is enough. And even the hdd which took 10 seconds to load the first portal kept up with ssds after the first long loading portal. So the loading is basically done on the first portal.

I’m too lazy to pull up my posts but i repeatedly said that no one was going to bother utilizing the 5.5 gbps of ssd speeds and cerny should’ve focused instead on a more powerful gpu. God knows how much this thing cost and even the game designed around the ssd doesn’t seem to be utilizing more than 10% of its available bandwidth.

And that was the whole real argument that was made. Nvme drives are still not ulitilized in games even remotely.

Senua

Limited hand me downs that trickle down at a snails pace.
The lack of success in comparison to the console versions should lesson this.
Only note worthy money made was from Destiny 2 on PC....
They keep putting the wrong games out, they're sitting on a treasure trove with the soulsbourne stuff

Plus people don't like paying full price for years old games..I hope Sony get THAT memo

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure the guy is just wrong and running out VRAM from having RT enabled. The smoking bullet is that he's using Medium settings which barely streams any data from disk.

I already ran some tests comparing disk reads during the intro sequence and here's how they stack up.

PS5: ~16GB
PC Very High: ~19GB
PC High: ~5GB
PC Medium: ~1.8GB

I'm running the game on Very High settings without RT and it barely makes a blip on the bus load. He's running on Medium settings with RT and it's completely thrashing his bus. Both of us are on PCIe 3.0 so it's clearly not because of DirectStorage when my game is pushing 10x more disk data through.

How did you perform a read test on PS5? Where does that number come from?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
jlAHVnQ.png

It's weird that this isn't at all what the DF video showed. Rich was using a 500 MB/s SATA drive, and had lots of long portal loads and also a lot of pauses and hiccups beyond that (in later sections of the game).

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

They keep putting the wrong games out, they're sitting on a treasure trove with the soulsbourne stuff

Plus people don't like paying full price for years old games..I hope Sony get THAT memo
Sony isn't changing a thing regarding pricing and the trickle slow pace it releases on PC.

TrebleShot

Can anyone help?
I think im doing something wrong.

5800x / 4090 - 4K (45-60FPS) no upscaling native, that seems a little low to me, quite disappointing...is that actually normal? I know my CPU should be a "3D" but hey ho and I always play at 4k id still expect to hit over 60fps.

Also is this a game that benefits from DLSS as in Quality is better than Native 4k?

To say that an their i/o tech was needed for the game to come out was pretty disingenuous, but to say that it runs fine on an HDD is also false. It may run but in no way would anyone say that it's a great experience and a good time. We could argue semantics on what is "fine", and I'd say that Sony/Insomniac kinda got caught in a lie to a small degree, but in no way would playing that on an HDD be a good time compared to what their intended experience is.

Either way, watching some of you defend or attack either side of this argument has been fascinating. PC gamers have been giving plaudits to SSD's and the benefits well before they were in the mainline console discussion and people loved to dismiss the impact then. It's funny to see it all come full circle.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
And I honestly think Ratchet is not even ambitious when it comes to the New possibilities with the ssd and i/o system

They actually had the most Basic idea and implemehted without any effort.

The thing that I imagined right away while lisetening to Cernys speech is that with the PS5, we should be able to get into any building, any room and stores in GTAVI extremely detailed thanks to how fast everything process, but the game would take huge space (like 500gb)
If I recall correctly they admitted they weren't maxing out the PS5 I/O with this game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's weird that this isn't at all what the DF video showed. Rich was using a 500 MB/s SATA drive, and had lots of long portal loads and also a lot of pauses and hiccups beyond that (in later sections of the game).
It’s not weird because the loading is likely cpu bound.

Gaiff

Can anyone help?

5800x / 4090 - 4K (45-60FPS) no upscaling native, that seems a little low to me, quite disappointing...is that actually normal? I know my CPU should be a "3D" but hey ho and I always play at 4k id still expect to hit over 60fps.

Also is this a game that benefits from DLSS as in Quality is better than Native 4k?
That does sound incredibly low. What is your GPU usage while playing?

And even at 3440x1440, DLSS looks fantastic. The implementation is pretty damn great in this game.

Buggy Loop

At which point we shoot x86 in the head and move on though? This architecture is showing its limits. Software hacks around IO management can only go so far. It's pretty good now with the API, but it will probably require a change by next gen.

With the size of GPUs, might aswell make the motherboard right on top of it for CPU + RAM and the GPU would handle all IO.

Ps5 = 1440p 90fps (performance mode) or 4k 50fps

Ps5 = 500 dollars

2x more expensive PC should doube that performance

A 1000 dollars PC shoul run 4k 180fps in its "performance mode" or 6k 100fps

3x more expensive PC should triplo that so:

3000 dollars PC 6k and 270fps performance mode or 8k 150fps

And so on and so forth

Considering thats far beyond realiry, this is humillating to PC Community speciallu when they still have loading textures and stutters during worlds transitions because PC is SLOW no matter the HW.

This is sad.

Senua

Ps5 = 500 dollars

And so on and so forth

Considering thats far beyond realiry, this is humillating to PC Community speciallu when they still have loading textures and stutters during worlds transitions because PC is SLOW no matter the HW.

This is sad.
When has that ever been the case? The benefits of the PC platform are far, far greater than just performance, that's why we pay the premium. But please carry on talking bilge.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Ps5 = 500 dollars

And so on and so forth

This is sad.

When you think you have read the dumbest shit possible in a thread yet it keeps on giving.

leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

Last edited:

Gaiff

Ps5 = 500 dollars

And so on and so forth

This is sad.
Don't be disingenuous. It's 1080p-1440p 60-90fps and 1800p-2160p with the extreme lower bound being 1296p and 30-50fps.

When you think you have read the dumbest shit possible in a thread yet it keeps on giving.

leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF
Yep, moronic post. If hardware scaled linearly, let alone on PC compared to console, there would be almost no reason for budget parts to exist or even consoles.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Ps5 = 500 dollars

And so on and so forth

This is sad.

This is one of the best posts that I have seen in years!

Thanks

hlm666

How did you perform a read test on PS5? Where does that number come from?
Hoddi Hoddi explained it in a thread ages ago, he put an nvme drive in the ps5 expansion slot and installed the game on there. Put it back in his pc to read the smart data, put it back in his ps5 ran the ratched scene/s then put it back in his pc read the smart data again to see how much it had read since the last smart data log.

Celcius

°Temp. member
And just like that, the DF video is null and void.

People like to pretend the launch day version is the finished product.
By your logic every analysis video is null and void because patches for games come out all the time.
They review the build they have at the time and we (the community) appreciate the work they put in.

Zathalus

Ps5 = 500 dollars

And so on and so forth

This is sad.
Dude, wait until you hear about the automobile industry. Cars that cost 100 times as much are only twice as fast.

This is humiliating to the auto industry, especially when you realise you still have car accidents no matter the hardware.

This is sad.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
By your logic every analysis video is null and void because patches for games come out all the time.
They review the build they have at the time and we (the community) appreciate the work they put in.

Yes, they objectively are no longer accurate.

The nitpicks are no longer accurate. You think a 3 month old video of The Last of Us is still representative of what the game’s like now?

Even our GPUs gain performance in older games thanks to driver updates. Benchmarks can and do become outdated.

That’s how it is.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
So to sumarize, the only real issue if BVH calculations since nobody else reported the same DF issues but the actual opposite with textures?

Last edited:

Md Ray

Look at his power usage. The 3070 is a 220w card but it's only using 120-150w in his screenshots. That strongly suggests that it's underutilized.

'GPU utilization' is just a measure of work scheduled by Windows and doesn't really say anything about how busy the physical chip is. Encoding a video with NVENC will show the GPU being fully utilized, for example, but it only uses a tiny part of the chip. For all we know, it's just Windows issuing copy commands because he's running out of VRAM.

Hard to say obviously. But I really doubt it's anything else since my own PCIe load is nothing remotely like his in this game.
Are you running 32GB of system RAM?

Bojji

Can anyone help?

Game IS super heavy on cpu with RT, 5800x is too weak to handle it over 60fps with all RT on.

What is your GPU usage?

Top Bottom