• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you alternate between different game styles, themes, genres, etc.?

Speevy

Banned
Just curious.

I often find that when I'm done playing a darker game like Doom 3, only something more upbeat and colorful will do. Likewise, I'll rarely (if ever) buy two shooters in a row, or two platformers. I'm always looking for something drastically different from the last game I played. In this way, I never get tired of one thing. I'll also buy a GCN game sometimes just because my last buy was on the Xbox, or vice versa.

Anyone go through the same process? What styles, themes, genres, etc. are on your list of alternatives? I generally keep racing, sports, stealth, and licensed games out of the equation, so that keeps the choice really simple.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I generally just play what ever, I also find are so find it hard to play two games when I am playing a great RPG because they are so engrossing.

Oogami

Banned
Yes always. I just can't stand the same type of games over and over again.

Like after I played a serious traditional RPG or adventure game, I always want to play one or two relaxing games next, like sport or fighting titles. Though in these days I feel like every RPGs feel like another RPGs, and a fighting game feel like another fighting game too, not to mention sports and racing of course, etc.

That's why I love Nintendo. Their games(even in the same series) are always so different and unique comparing to "Me too!" traditional games from all other companies. Their stuff always provide me a nice change of pace and a fresh of breath air, not to mention the high quality and consistency in their games of course. Not saying I don't need other traditional games or anything though.

Having a great variety of games is great.

Chrono

Banned
yeah when I finish a game I try to pick something different play next. Like right now it's Tales of Symphonia. After that it's probably Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne but since that's a darker game and it would be 2 RPGs in a row I'll probably replay Pikmin 2 or katamri damacy.

I'd play Mario/Sonic type platformers until they came out of my ears... but there are hardly any good ones around these days.

I really just buy most quality games as they come out, unless they're in a genre I don't really enjoy. Later this year, for example, I'll be buying Half Life 2 and Far Cry Instincts right after one another - not through choice, but because I don't want to miss either of them.

A little bit of everything, although certain genres (strategy, puzzle, driving, adventure) tend to take precedence over the others. There are games in every genre that EVERYONE should play at least once, no matter their taste.

explodet

Definitely alternate.

Recently, after playing the crap out of both Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry 3, I had to drop everything action/Capcom and play a nice relaxing game of Ogre Battle 64.

Troidal

I don't consciously do it, but right now I'm alternating between the dark, gloomy Doom III and the flashy bright Tron 2.0. Playing opposing color schemes makes room for variety.

temp

posting on contract only
I don't have any special system. Sometimes I play the same thing for a while, though. Like I just beat KOTOR again and now I want to play Jade Empire. And I just played through The Twin Snakes so I'm playing Sons of Liberty. That doesn't happen a lot though, I guess.

Andy787

Banned
Speevy said:
Just curious.

I often find that when I'm done playing a darker game like Doom 3, only something more upbeat and colorful will do. Likewise, I'll rarely (if ever) buy two shooters in a row, or two platformers. I'm always looking for something drastically different from the last game I played. In this way, I never get tired of one thing. I'll also buy a GCN game sometimes just because my last buy was on the Xbox, or vice versa.

Anyone go through the same process? What styles, themes, genres, etc. are on your list of alternatives? I generally keep racing, sports, stealth, and licensed games out of the equation, so that keeps the choice really simple.
I used to do the exact same thing when I constantly traded in all of my games. Might have something to do with it.

Now, I just play what I feel like playing. Often times I'll do exactly what you do, and some times I just feel like one type of game, like the most recent console games I played was a string of DMC, God of War, Viewtiful Joe, and Ninja Gaiden.

Top Bottom