• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you know any Energy Vampires?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Plenty. At the current workplace no. But one of my early jobs was working as a production manager at a Kelloggs plant on a yearlong break from college. I was only 19 and this guy like 27 claimed to know everything about the world and the job.

He'd talk the entire 10 hour workday about nothing productive. He was the father of three children from three different women by age 24 (according to him). And would go on psycho rage fits.

Anytime I brought up to my boss that we needed to work sanctions into getting him terminated. Something in the contracts always allowed him to stick around. For a guy who knew everything, he'd watch my workers sometimes and just stare off into space while they worked.

Finally came a day where my boss cleaned house and terminated 3 people (including him). Took 11-months though and he had the gall to try getting rehired a week later.

poodaddy

You mean tiresome people?

Plenty.

The trick is to quickly in conversation, start a subject you know is not of interest to them, so that they lose their momentum.
I can attest to this. I've got a friend who's obsessed with the DC universe and console wars shit, so whenever he starts getting into dumb shit with me, I bring up weight training, music, or just talk about my daughter, as he's super out of shape and couldn't give a shit about training, just listens to whatever's on the radio, and for some reason he absolutely hates talking about his kids or anyone's kid for that matter lol. Works every time man, gets him to hang up within minutes.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Off the cuff I would say offer a few opinions:
1) Careful what you put here. If they work with you and you are in GD then they know this place and can probably find your avatar. You already have three statements that are very specific to that person they could use against you (and your team) if their job was ever in jeopardy.

2) Working in GD for a very long time can lull you into a false sense of comfort. Most studios that don't report to an overarching crop structure (like EA/ACTI/Sony) typically have their own "culture" and telling someone to shut the fuck up might work now, but it might also be what they need to protect themselves in the future.

3) If you really want to get this person out of your start (if you can) pulling their work into a blocking path. If they don't do something that the team needs to progress on a milestone/task that will shine a light on them. Typically those folks HATE that shit because they are forced to do 1 of 2 things: 1) get their shit done, 2) throw the rest of the team under the bus and complain about them. They will not survive long if they follow route 2.

Chances are if YOU think they are an EV then other folks on the team also do. Just be careful when talking about it and choose your confidences carefully. Complaints can become "bullying" really quickly with a shitty HR rep.

My brother is an energy vampire and all-around no-good malingerer. He somehow manages to do the things from the OP without even holding down a job. "You don't understand, I'm the hardest working motherfucker out there" --my unemployed brother.

Stare-Bear

Banned
This past year I have become one, at least to my direct work colleagues. 2023 hasn't been the greatest year for our family so far and I started to notice that every time someone asks how I am doing I reply mostly with negative responses.

I think I'm also close to a burnout with work, which doesn't help. Every small task seems like climbing a mountain for me atm...

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Was this guy always like this? Or maybe just the past bunch of years he's lazy and weird?
We have about the same seniority but I never worked directly on the same team as him until 3 years ago. I knew "of him" but that's about it.

It's also other employees who opened my eyes on his behavior (One colleague calls him "White noise" 😆 ). Myself I focus on my stuff but when I poked around a bit and talked to my manager about his utter uselessness there was about 6 months left on my project and he told me to ignore him.

I'm also taking a guess here but HR may be hesitant to fire his ass because of his "health issues" even though his incompetence is 200% purely work related.

We just started a new project and it's like he did a 180 degree turn. Of course he still yaks away nonstop but seems motivated.

But how can you not give a shit for 3 years and fly under the radar? I'm still baffled about that 🤪

Last edited:

John Marston

My brother is an energy vampire and all-around no-good malingerer.
I LOVE that word "malingerer" thank you! 😃

Your replies also reminded me of his deep narcissism. He never shows empathy for others or even one lousy reaction emoji on someone's birthday in Teams.

His caps lock also seems broken as he often says things like "SOOOO DID ANYONE NOTICE THIS MORNING'S BUILD WAS SLOW LIKE WUUUUT"

I'll shut up now as I don't want to pay attention to him on my wonderful lazy sunday 😊

John Marston

1) Careful what you put here. If they work with you and you are in GD then they know this place and can probably find your avatar. You already have three statements that are very specific to that person they could use against you (and your team) if their job was ever in jeopardy.
I thought about that carefully before posting thanks! I had to state some examples but stayed away from very specific stuff.

Toots

Gold Member
I work as a public servant so you better believe i'm surrounded by fat and lazy 40+ year old energy vampires.
The secret is to do your job and not care about them in the slightest. Once you understand they will never get their due and the worst that can happen to them is being transferred to another service without any financial impact, you become a nihilist and nothing really matter anymore so you're good.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Excited Colin Robinson GIF by What We Do in the Shadows

Please do watch WWDITS for all your energy vampire requirements.
Haha I'm just here to post this:

Love this show!

i do. someone at my work who always has something to complain about every fucking morning without fail. she's feeling sick, the dog needs to go to the vet, she doesn't see her grandkids, her son is drunk/wanting money/no where to be found/sleeping on her sofa/arguing with her, has no time to herself, doesn't want to use any of her holidays up, says she's going to do something for weeks and doesn't, her car is broken, she's being overworked..... i could go on and on.

my point is that she drains all the fucking energy out of your soul if you get near her. i can't stand to listen to anything she says anymore because it's just the same old shit every fucking day. if you try give advice or help then it's in one ear and out the other. she doesn't want to listen to anyone but herself talk. it's a never fucking ending pity party.

i avoid her as much as possible now. in a way she's such a kind person and will do anything for you. gives to charity, volunteers, does favours for everyone, and can't say no to anyone but you pay for it with your sanity.

Top Bottom