• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you play single-player games with friends?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
As soon as the topic of playing games with other people is brought up, terms like "multiplayer", "online" and "4 controller ports" becomes frequent. But look, when it comes to games involving more than one player, I don't feel an urge to be strictly competitive. Actually, I usually enjoy playing with my friends rather than against them. Sure there are some co-op games out there, but I also enjoy playing single-player games with my friends.

It may sound weird, but I've gone through games like Resident Evil Zero, Shenmue, Fatal Frame, Mercenaries and Project Gotham Racing with friends around. We take turns, we help each other with puzzles and strategies...I find it relaxing to sometimes step back, hand over the controller to someone else, cool down and help my playing friend with suggestions and so on. This way, single-player games can be very, very social games indeed. What's your take on this?

I'm fully with you man. Though some games are sacred and I won't let anyone play *my* story and spoil me anything, but lesser important single player games are fun to play with a friend.

Ironclad

I agree with you. I have had a lot of fun playing through games with friends either in the co-op mode that the game offers or just working out a system of passing the controller. Competitive multiplayer can turn ugly especially if it is all on the same console. I've seen it get pretty bad so I see this as a better alternative when friends are around. Also, it is much more entertaining to discuss the game while playing through the single player experience.

Ranger X

Sometimes i go through RPGs with friends. That's really cool.
I also been through Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2 with a friend.

demi

I do, only because they don't really like the game. They'd rather play Midnight Club 3 / NFSU 2 rather than, say, FISTS OF RAGE 2: MOTOWN SHODOWN

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i don't. i don't need no stinkin friends to get through my games! maybe if it's on a game that i've already beaten, then it's ok. but first time through, hell no. i'm playing that son of a bitch from beginning to end

sammy

I play many many games with my gf --- she still has a hard time grasping the concept of an analog stick (the PSP is helping though), but she does have that cognitive-girl-grasp on puzzel solving. we made it through HL2 and RE4 together --- tonight i got 'Cold Fear' (damn.. it's actually good) and we're charging through that.

I do miss art-school though, since so many of my friends wanted to get into the games-industry --- we'd have so many game parties .... and yea multiplayer stuff is fun, but it often got more interesting when we busted out the singleplayer stuffs.

fallout

Heh, me and my buddy used to do it all the time with RTS games. It all started with one very late night and Dune II.

nope, my friends and i are all the same on that front, we don't want to only play parts of a single player game... we'll watch someone play and even point out things they missed, but as far as taking turns goes? nope...

though there may be a rare incident where someone fails miserably and offers the infamous "well, why don't you try it" tactic... usually that's shot down and laughed at too, but on occasion, maybe twice a year,someone gets suckered into trying...

TheDiave

Banned
My fiance and I occasionally play through games together, taking turns. We did it with Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door most recently. If you count me helping her with hard-to-get stars, we did it with Mario 64 DS as well. I'm sure when Nintendogs comes out, I'm going to have to pry my DS out of her hands. :lol

Starfire

This is essentially how I grew up, me and my bro either played co-op, or took turns playing single player for almost everything we owned, and later in life (middle school, highschool, etc..) pretty much all my friends were gamers, so whenever a new game was released and one of us bought it, we'd gather at one person or another's house and play through it, saves alot of money that way too, as well as being more fun,, though I agree, usually I play RPGs by myself (most of my friends aern't gamers now, plus I usually prefer to play RPGs alone anyways).

Lol, last Christmas my bro left his tv at my house, and I played through San Andreas, while him and his gf played through Halo 2 co-op, our house looked and sounded like an arcade:)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My friends REFUSED to let me make any progress in RE4 and God of War without them. God of War particularly took about a month to get through all 10 or so hours working out schedules to meet up and press on. I didn't much care, they definately enjoyed the game far more than I did. RE4 tho, I cheated and finished the last few hours without them. Game is awesome!

I actually played most of FFX with a friend as well, I even recall going to see the movie How High? one night with a group and he stayed behind because Blitz Ball had him by the balls. By the time we returned many hours later, his team was practically top-ranked and he nearly had the ultimate weapon item. That was cool.

Koshiba

Always! I find single player games with other people to be loads of fun. Especially because I like to make sarcastic comments about alot of things during the game. It's fun. Lol. I try to always play video games with my bf. :) More fun than being all alone in my opinion.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I've done it a few times, MGS2 is the only one I can think of.

I find it has less to do with the game and more on my mood. If I'm in a mood to really game, then no, I don't want to watch someone playing something that I want to.

But sometimes you just wanna sit back and drink something and just relax, but you don't have interesting stories to have a conversation carry it so you stick a video game it to become the focus when theres nothing much worth saying.

Generally though, I'm more in the mood to game and would far prefer co-op. Co-op games are my favorite, I wish there were more of them.

edit: I also don't know why but I also just like watching people play games. I think it interests me to see how they think through shit differently. Tales of Symphonia was like the perfect game for me for gamecube. I played it by myself over the summer. Then when I went back to school, I had someone else take up the first player controller and me and 2 other friends went through symphonia where I jsut sat back and relaxed and watched someone else play the game occasionally getting to smash things in the face with an axe.

OmniGamer

Yep, especially back in the day...even for an RPG, Final Fantasy IV, my friend and I wanted to beat it in a day...the only thing I can think of recently is GTA:III

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just the other night I was playing KOTOR2 with my friend. That was a good one because of all the question options, we would discuss them and think of what to do next. RPG's are always fun with friends because you discuss/make fun of the game.

Red Scarlet

A lot so far this year, probably about 30 games (mostly RPG's). More of a "we play different games at the same time, but we'd help each other out or make comments"..sometimes we'd both play the same game on separate TV's (not racing). Before that I played through FF4-6 with someone online.

Waychel

Banned
I used to play old-school RPGs and similar games with friends all the time that were single player. When I was in HS, my friends and I also used to have an "Earthboundathon" every year. :lol God, we were dorks.

Most games/series that I play these days with friends that are single player are games like Onimusha, Silent Hill and Devil May Cry. We'll just sit around watching the other person play, make fun of them and take turns in boss fights and stuff. Something to do when we're bored (which happens a lot out in hickville where I live). :lol

Top Bottom