• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The demise of the Xbox shows the true important of quality, exclusive SINGLE PLAYER GAMES on your platform

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
You can have all the multiplatform GAAS trash you want. (Fortnite, the list goes on)

You can have all the successful multiplayer focused games you want (Halo, Gears)

You can have all the successful racing and sports games you want. (Forza)

But.

The reason people buy CONSOLES is to play quality, exclusive, single player games.

Its the ONE thing Microsoft failed at. They had MP hits, they have sports games, they have great service and value, they were the pioneers of online console gaming, they have everything on their platform they need to succeed except quality single player exclusives that Sony and Nintendo have in droves.

Like? Whats the difference between PlayStation and Xbox? They both offer the same exact shit, one just has an onslaught of quality single player exclusives the other doesn't.

How did Sony build the brand power the PlayStation has? quality single player exclusives

Nintendo? quality single player exclusives.

Quality single player exclusives are what give your console an identity. They are the Game of The Year winners, which help give your console recognition. They are the games people talk about decades later.

Xbox doesn't have that. And it cost them their brand.

Publsihers will always need to invest in quality single player games, its the only thing that has been proven succesful time and time again. Generation after generation. Even with the rise of GAAS trash. MS should have invested in more big budget, AAA, single player games - They wouldn't be on the verge of becoming Sega 2.0

edit: importance*

edit 2: My first ever thread without a :messenger_tears_of_joy: or :messenger_hushed: reaction, mods, un-tag me :messenger_smirking:

TLHBO

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Fun Laugh GIF

StueyDuck

It really actually comes down to leadership...

I'd also recommend waiting for the official announcement before making huge sweeping declarations.

Something tells me this announcement is not gonna be a huge massive blowout admitting defeat and exiting the game like people think...

They'd just quietly do that and put out a blog post. The fact they are making an announcement rather says there is more to this than xbox is dead and MS is 3rd party.

Most likely a hifi rush confirmation and maybe sea of theives and everything else will be case by case like they've said before

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nintendo has both bases covered arguably and if anything their multiplayer projects are significantly more popular than their singleplayer endeavours.... Mario Kart and Smash are the 2 best selling games in their respective genres of fighters and racers, and Splatoon 3 sold 10 million copies in 6 months.

That being said it's easy to get people to invest in your multiplayer franchises when you have an insane history of singleplayer IP & quality franchises to basically bankroll interest and generate hype. Too bad MS never figured that out though :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Crayon

The time for this would have been way back when so many were pretending that an HD DVD drive, 6tf, and compatibility with 360 games were world-beating features. It was too late for games to save them even before the series launched. They just ignored it for too long..

BlackTron

It really actually comes down to leadership...

I'd also recommend waiting for the official announcement before making huge sweeping declarations.

Something tells me this announcement is not gonna be a huge massive blowout admitting defeat and exiting the game like people think...

They'd just quietly do that and put out a blog post. The fact they are making an announcement rather says there is more to this than xbox is dead and MS is 3rd party.

Most likely a hifi rush confirmation and maybe sea of theives and everything else will be case by case like they've said before

Stage 3: bargaining

Mortisfacio

Crazy because it doesn't even take many. The Last of Us, Bloodborne and God of War. For me, that's honestly about it "worth" playing the last decade for Sony exclusive, but still those 3 titles alone are more than the 0 on Xbox.

StueyDuck

Stage 3: bargaining
I'm by no means an xbox fanboy. I'm actively making fun of all this.

But I also think people need to be a little more humble, no one actually knows what Phil is going to say. We all know it's most likely their vision to become more 3rd party, but we have no idea to what end, what time frame and for how long.

They aren't coming out next weeks and saying "to all our xbox players out there, fuck you" then Phil shows his ass and they start playing cartoons of fanboys being railed by dildos.

Phil has a fiduciary duty to MS and Shareholders to make the brand profitable. He's not going to come out and shit on everything and potentially kill the brand in one statement, even if eventually everything will come to PS and Nintendo, we aren't going to hear that officially confirmed next week. It would be wild if we did.

I see us hearing alot about still being loyal to the Xbox Brand with potential consoles or streaming devices teased and then one or 2 multiplatform games confirmed and the rest being labeled as maybe.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Phil has a fiduciary duty to MS and Shareholders to make the brand profitable. He's not going to come out and shit on everything and potentially kill the brand in one statement, even if eventually everything will come to PS and Nintendo, we aren't going to hear that officially confirmed next week. It would be wild if we did.

There's no telling what his boss told him to do.

StueyDuck

There's no telling what his boss told him to do.
Exactly my point, so big large sweeping statements about the demise of Xbox being because of single player games is rather silly.

We should first get all the facts of the situation from the horses mouth

BlackTron

Shadow drop, no advertising,
Not big budget.
Cartoony.
No one is buying a non-nintendo console for that game, as good as it was.

I don't think anyone is buying a Nintendo console for it either, because everyone already bought one; and that audience is a better opportunity for the game to tap.

Exactly my point, so big large sweeping statements about the demise of Xbox being because of single player games is rather silly.

We should first get all the facts of the situation from the horses mouth

Well, Satya DID say if it was his way, there would be no exclusives. Doesn't mean he will say it again tomorrow through Phil, but we're not exactly taking potshots in the dark here.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Shadow drop, no advertising,
Not big budget.
Cartoony.
No one is buying a non-nintendo console for that game, as good as it was.

Halo Infinite campaign? (received great reviews from critics and was GAF's GOTY)
Sunset Overdrive?
Quantum Break?
Starfield? (you can roll your eyes, but it got solid reviews and ranks higher on GAFs GOTY rankings than games like Spider-Man 2 and FFXVI)
Ori and the Blind Forest / Will of the Wisps?
Cuphead / Delicious Last Course?
Gears 4? Gears 5? (both received great reviews from critics and generally have a solid reputation despite many not considering them as good as the first 3)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider?

I will agree that Xbox has never hit that "unmissable, GOTY single player experience" that Sony has become known for, but to claim Xbox has never produced quality single player games is nonsense.

The reality is that Microsoft simply dug themselves into an impossible hole over the Xbox One generation, and it was always going to take an absolute miracle for them to stay competitive in the hardware space after that catastrophe.

They did many, MANY things right since that horrific 2013 launch, but in the end the challenge was insurmountable. Too many consumers are dug into Sony's ecosystem and have invested thousands of dollars into their libraries. There's no way people are bailing from their platform anymore.

As Phil said about a year ago, Xbox lost the worst generation to lose.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I don't think anyone is buying a Nintendo console for it either, because everyone already bought one; and that audience is a better opportunity for the game to tap.

Well, Satya DID say if it was his way, there would be no exclusives. Doesn't mean he will say it again tomorrow through Phil, but we're not exactly taking potshots in the dark here.
I am not saying they aren't going to release most their catalog on other platforms though. Just that I don't think we are going to get that massive blow out in one go.

Microsoft are the absolute best a pr fluff nonsense speak. They'll say the bare minimum they can and will leave the worst parts up for interpretation. It's like how their games are best Xbox games sold ever... on a Monday... at 10pm... during the rain... in Uganda.

Again I'll be shocked if they just lay it all out on the table next week. If they do I think you see Phil stepping down a few months later.

BlackTron

Halo Infinite campaign? (received great reviews from critics and was GAF's GOTY)
Sunset Overdrive?
Quantum Break?
Starfield? (you can roll your eyes, but it got solid reviews and ranks higher on GAFs GOTY rankings than games like Spider-Man 2 and FFXVI)
Gears 4? Gears 5? (both received great reviews from critics and generally have a solid reputation despite many not considering them as good as the first 3)

I will agree that Xbox has never hit that "unmissable, GOTY single player experience" that Sony has become known for, but to claim Xbox has never produced quality single player games is nonsense.

The reality is that Microsoft simply dug themselves into an impossible hole over the Xbox One generation, and it was always going to take an absolute miracle for them to stay competitive in the hardware space after that catastrophe.

They did many, MANY things right since that horrific 2013 launch, but in the end the challenge was insurmountable. Too many consumers are dug into Sony's ecosystem and have invested thousands of dollars into their libraries. There's no way people are bailing from their platform anymore.

All true but also

Bad management

I like single player games but I dont think Sony has good one's either. They are slow watered down for casuals walking sims and movie games with politics,etc.

Last edited:

Flabagast

No man trust me me and my Xbox pals have figured it out a long time ago

-hardware sales don't matter
-game sales don't matter
-game exclusives don't matter

This is 5D chess you can't understand

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Sunset Overdrive?
Quantum Break?

Im not saying they've never made quality exclusive games. They have made a bunch, but nowhere NEAR on a consistent basis. Notwhere near as much as they should have.
A lot of their quality single player games are tiny budgeted passion projects. Thats never going to move the sales needle.

As for your list:

I'll give you the first 3 HALO's

Sunset Overdrive was a niche game that flopped. Not big budget. Poor advertising.

Quantam Break never got a sequel. I loved that game.

Starfield is too new, but safe to say it didnt have the impact it should have, hyped as GOTG, didn't even get a GOTY nomination.

Ori is a side scrolling small budget game.

Cuphead is a side scrolling small budget game.

Gears 4/5 were good, not great, nowhere near the same reception/impact as the first 3.

Tomb Raider, even as an Xbox exclusive for a year, is more recognized as a PlayStation game. Regardless they needed more exclusive games like THAT.

Yoboman

You can have all the multiplatform GAAS trash you want. (Fortnite, the list goes on)

You can have all the successful multiplayer focused games you want (Halo, Gears)

You can have all the successful racing and sports games you want. (Forza)

But.

The reason people buy CONSOLES is to play quality, exclusive, single player games.

Its the ONE thing Microsoft failed at. They had MP hits, they have sports games, they have great service and value, they were the pioneers of online console gaming, they have everything on their platform they need to succeed except quality single player exclusives that Sony and Nintendo have in droves.

Like? Whats the difference between PlayStation and Xbox? They both offer the same exact shit, one just has an onslaught of quality single player exclusives the other doesn't.

How did Sony build the brand power the PlayStation has? quality single player exclusives

Quality single player exclusives are what give your console an identity. They are the Game of The Year winners, which help give your console recognition. They are the games people talk about decades later.

Xbox doesn't have that. And it cost them their brand.

Publsihers will always need to invest in quality single player games, its the only thing that has been proven succesful time and time again. Generation after generation. Even with the rise of GAAS trash. MS should have invested in more big budget, AAA, single player games - They wouldn't be on the verge of becoming Sega 2.0

edit: importance*

TLHBO
TLHBO? No, TLHBR
w1WfF5I.gif

Core memory unlocked :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom