• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think your job will survive the entire Covid pandemic?

JordanN

Banned
So I was just reading there's a back and forth war going on between Restaurants and Landlords.

The upcoming Winter season has the potential to completely bankrupt them because in-dine services are limited and no one wants to eat outside in the cold. But landlords aren't having any of it and are slowly begining to pull the plug when they miss their rent payments.

This actually has me a little worried for a second. Keep in mind, you have a lot of people who went to school to become a Chef, but they never actually foresaw a future where their career choice might just be their last.

And of course, this isn't just about restaurants. Any business right now that can't actually keep up with their rent payments are also doomed to start closing their doors, in which case, how do you expect your job to survive this season?

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
My job was axed at the beginning. I was laid off in March from teaching English at a nice university in Mexico. Spring graduation was cancelled, Summer courses out, and part-time remote teaching is too expensive for this type of private university. I talked with some of the directors last week and they are near closing the school altogether. A lot of the staff is putting in early retirement. Just ugly all over. Then again, it's given me incentive to study a career in computer science and not go back to teaching ever. I mean, teachers are not paid well and I think this was evidence that it's a fairly weak system to get involved with during a pandemic. I anticipate this problem to go on at least another 1-2 years.

JordanN

Banned
My job was axed at the beginning. I was laid off in March from teaching English at a nice university in Mexico. Spring graduation was cancelled, Summer courses out, and part-time remote teaching is too expensive for this type of private university. I talked with some of the directors last week and they are near closing the school altogether. A lot of the staff is putting in early retirement. Just ugly all over. Then again, it's given me incentive to study a career in computer science and not go back to teaching ever. I mean, teachers are not paid well and I think this was evidence that it's a fairly weak system to get involved with during a pandemic. I anticipate this problem to go on at least another 1-2 years.
What are public schools in Mexico like right now?

I assume there will always be a need for teachers, unless we ever got robots to teach a classroom instead.

Also, have you ever thought of being a private tutor and making money that way?

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
My job and career are safe.

Neverhtkess, I am still convinced that the lockdown is an ignorant response against the virus. When, I think of the impact on the the careers of millions of people, I can see that those who made these decisions had no empathy for those affected. Political seats will always be there, industries can perish.

It is easy to campaign on stupid virtue arguments such as “even 1 dead is too much”, but at some point you need to look at the consequences of these measures and understand that you are pushing people into hell just for the sake of optics. The virus won’t go away with the lockdown, and it should be a personal choice to enter quarantine; the government should support you in case you lose your job, but entering quarantine should be a choice, not something forced on everybody. America is going to have a hard time recovering from this. Meanwhile, our rivals in the business world are flourishing.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The answer is yes most jobs will continue but will operate differently (social distancing, work from home, senior hours etc) nobody knows if covid will hold on during the fall and winter the Spanish flu pandemic lasted two years

TaySan

Banned
I do inventory for bars and restaurants and it's definitely impacted my work. We haven't heard back from some of our bars since they either shut down for good or don't have enough business for our services.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
What are public schools in Mexico like right now?

I assume there will always be a need for teachers, unless we ever got robots to teach a classroom instead.

Also, have you ever thought of being a private tutor and making money that way?
Public schools are a mess. Most teachers have computers to teacher remote. However, parents tend to have older computers or slower internet. If you're having a conference program with 15 or more students running on one computer, usually someone's computer ends up crashing.

Individual private students like to cheat the system. That's why I only do private classes under contract and all payments in advanced. They don't like that because I charge for classes cancelled in under 24-hours and no call / no shows. Most get pissed that they're billed for classes they didn't inform me they weren't going to attend and they end up dropping.

Tough job that most European and American immigrants have had to do at least once in Mexico. Pay is low and so is the duration a student will take classes. I see bigger opportunities to go back to my old job of fixing computers. Also applying for mod jobs. I've done web moderation before and it pays better than teaching.

JordanN

Banned
Public schools are a mess. Most teachers have computers to teacher remote. However, parents tend to have older computers or slower internet. If you're having a conference program with 15 or more students running on one computer, usually someone's computer ends up crashing.

Individual private students like to cheat the system. That's why I only do private classes under contract and all payments in advanced. They don't like that because I charge for classes cancelled in under 24-hours and no call / no shows. Most get pissed that they're billed for classes they didn't inform me they weren't going to attend and they end up dropping.

Tough job that most European and American immigrants have had to do at least once in Mexico. Pay is low and so is the duration a student will take classes. I see bigger opportunities to go back to my old job of fixing computers. Also applying for mod jobs. I've done web moderation before and it pays better than teaching.
Thanks for the insider info.

Good luck out there in Mexico.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
As an animation studio were one of the few that are able to produce entertainment with covid barely registering a blip in productivity. Granted as an animation studio theres a hundred other more common events that could end us....

Orpheum

Yeah...I'm a biochemist. However i want to change profession entirely but to another secure field so it's all good.

Best of luck to everyone who got fucked over by this shit ass virus

Garibaldi

Yup. Software Dev. We've not really been overly effected by the pandemic at all. Except the whole working for home more often thing. The company is even going on hiring spurt from October after a few internal promotions. Loads of my mates got fucked over for a while with furlough/no business. Luckily no one lost their jobs though.

Paasei

Yep, not even a chance this company is going to close anytime soon. One of the remaining benefits of working for IKEA.

Methos#1975

Depends I guess. I work for Toyota and so far it doesn't seem as people have slowed down on buying them, but that's subject to change of conditions change

notseqi

Sucking dick under a bridge for cash is as future proof as it can get.

tbh, doing work in a sector that has projects scheduled for 2035 and beyond, my job will be fine.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Software engineer primarily dealing with schools, recently remote schooling - I'll be fine.

My girlfriend's had to switch careers as the events industry has basically imploded.

Saruhashi

Banned
Not sure.

For now there are promises that nobody will lose their job. OK.

I just don't believe that 2 or 3 years down the line, with the potential bad fallout of letting people go during a pandemic disappearing in the distance, decisions won't be made on restructuring and downsizing due to the aftermath.

I often wonder what the situation will be 5 years down the line. Everybody saying the right things now but that can't last forever.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
My job/jobs like it are going to remain in demand, whether or not my employer chooses to make redundancies is a completely different story. There have been a lot of organisations in my sector making some fairly ruthless business decisions as a result of falling income, I'm expecting my team to be fine but wouldn't be surprised if other departments are looking at facing the axe now that the furlough scheme is winding down.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Do you think your job will survive the entire government mandated shutdown?

There. Fixed the headline for ya. Most businesses would have survived if government didn’t intervene and if the media didn’t create mass hysteria over this whole thing.

highrider

Banned
I’m a painter in collision repair so there has definitely been an impact but I’m not concerned, master craftsmen never have to worry about stuff like that, particularly because there is no younger generation doing it at all.

Ornlu

Banned
My work is attached to the auto industry; it was strange as based on our customers and the news stories about them during the shutdowns, I was sure my job would be on the chopping block at some point. In reality, the opposite happened; I was working the whole time, and even when the entire state was shut down our customers were pushing for everything they could legally get. At this point the shutdowns are over and we seem to be booming compared to our competition.

I can't figure it out, to be honest. My best guess is that our domestic auto companies used the pandemic as an easy excuse to shed some people that they were going to anyway.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Well field research is dead and has been dead since January because of the china flu.

Woffls

I basically do software engineering so my profession is fine, but jobs are still contingent upon private companies surviving and paying for projects. Should be okay but I’m still reluctant to buy my first home at the moment.

notseqi

I actually ended up growing my trucking business by 2 drivers during the shutdown.
A ton of businesses had been hiring competent craftsmen using saved-up money around here, just to have them stick around after they had to be let go by less well organized/cash-flow-okay companies.
We have hired two highly specialized electricians and are looking for a lot more.

Hopefully. It really depends on if America will get it's shit togehter. I haven't stopped working, but our workload has been minimal since we rely on the American economy. We have picked up a little bit, so I'm not overly concerned.

My side business is doing great though. So if my job shuts down, I can focus on that full time.

Ornlu

Banned
Hopefully. It really depends on if America will get it's shit togehter. I haven't stopped working, but our workload has been minimal since we rely on the American economy. We have picked up a little bit, so I'm not overly concerned.

My side business is doing great though. So if my job shuts down, I can focus on that full time.

What industry?

Wvrs

Teaching English in Korea. There have been issues but it's a public school job so I've had my contract and pay guaranteed. Things have generally been okay here and schools have been open since early May so hopefully there's no real impact.

V4skunk

Banned
My job could be in Limbo in Britain.
I'll find out in the next couple of weeks! It boils down to hoping it goes back to normal when all the kids are back at school.

n0razi

The upcoming Winter season has the potential to completely bankrupt them because in-dine services are limited and no one wants to eat outside in the cold. But landlords aren't having any of it and are slowly begining to pull the plug when they miss their rent payments.

Im trying to understand from the perspective of the landlord... if you evict your tenant due to COVID, who are you going to replace them with? Surely a discounted rent would be better than zero?

Im trying to understand from the perspective of the landlord... if you evict your tenant due to COVID, who are you going to replace them with? Surely a discounted rent would be better than zero?
As a landlord (residential not commercial though) I would tend to agree with you but there is always the possibility that the space is in a good spot and could easily be picked up by a business that isn't seeing downward trends like restaurants.

MrS

Banned
Yes but I would be thankful for some time off it didn't. Don't think I'd struggle to find a new gig, even in this climate (NE UK).

Last edited:
Top Bottom