• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think your job will survive the entire Covid pandemic?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Still here. My company has hummed along fine. We're actually hiring.

It helps when my job can be done remotely on a laptop and the whole office uses Skype or Teams to communicate.

And every company needs bean counters. It really comes to a point whether a company has too many or not. You'd think in a business office setting something like financials anyone could pick up and help out because every business guy "should" be able to do numbers to some degree right? Isnt that the purpose of a business job? Dollars and cents?

Believe it or not, that is false. Some people are plain awful at it. And some don't want to do it. Some people are fine with systems and numbers, but they struggle analyzing it even though they are actually good at doing math and making pretty charts. Some people just want to be as far away as possible from an Excel sheet.

So I guess that's where I can contribute.

Last edited:

notseqi

Im trying to understand from the perspective of the landlord... if you evict your tenant due to COVID, who are you going to replace them with? Surely a discounted rent would be better than zero?
Especially if you can count on them to pick it back up once restrictions are lifted. For commercial I would expect significant remodeling to happen before payments are made.

notseqi

It helps when my job can be done remotely on a laptop and the whole office uses Skype or Teams to communicate.
Our massive client has tested the waters of how compatible some offices are with working from home. Sent 900 people home for a month at a time and monitored output, some will be weeded out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Our massive client has tested the waters of how compatible some offices are with working from home. Sent 900 people home for a month at a time and monitored output, some will be weeded out.
Yup.

That's the drawback of work from home. Some people are lazy fucks.

I'm definitely more of an office guy. And right now if I had the pick, I'd go back to the office. Then again, I'm single so for me the drawback is boredom. Some people like being at home because the commute is death, and they want to be able to take care of kids or be closer to the school to pick them up.

I like talking to people and going out to lunch. And no doubt an in-face meeting is more valuable than an online meeting. You don't even know if the people online are even there, 95% don't put on their camera to even know if they are watching, and probably 80% of people don't say anything. They could be doing laundry in the basement.

And there is no doubt, there are magically more online meeting cancellations from other people. Somehow working from home, they are so busy with other online meetings they have to decline. Ya right. If you were at the office there's no hiding and no fake meeting that had to take priority.

And you look at their status and it's a yellow dot saying they've been away from their PC for 2-3 hours. In other words, probably shopping or jacking off.

And I'm not even talking about technical issues where the bigger the group the higher chance of some bum saying "I can't hear you guys. Can you hear me? Echo x10. I'm going to reboot! Back in a few mins!"

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Im trying to understand from the perspective of the landlord... if you evict your tenant due to COVID, who are you going to replace them with? Surely a discounted rent would be better than zero?

I've spent a lot of time reading and thinking about this because it is greatly affecting some places. Here are my thoughts:

1. If you give a tenant discounted rent, you are doing it for a long time, possibly 5-10 years, as you sign a new contract.
2. On the other hand, for a while, people expected things to rev up quickly once these stupid restrictions are done - do you want to give a tenant 5 years of below market rent to get through the next 6-12 months?
3. Yes discounted rent is better than no rent, but you're probably getting no rent now anyway - most places can't pay their bills now and haven't for a while.
4. If things do bounce back quickly, you will probably be able to find a tenant pretty quickly.

A big part of the problem is the terrible guidance of the local/state governments. There are no plans, it's a total mess, and in the end the governors have made it clear that they dictate what is and isn't allowed to operate unilaterally. So everyone is flying blind here, including the landlords. I think the ultimate question each landlord has to make is how quickly they expect things to recover. If Manhattan is booming again in 2 years, they'll be able to find someone easily. If it's back to the 70s, they're fucked long term.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I thought the company I work for is safe... Gov contracts, documents etc. But apparently governments and banks don't need much plastic documents now :( can't say more

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Fingers crossed I’m good. I build software for the telecoms industry but my team has been halved. I head that team up so I’m probably safer than most. Never got furloughed - it’s those who got furloughed who are getting the boot in general so that’s also something in my favour. Letting go of good developers was a shitty experience especially after fighting for years to get them.

Work for a company in the medical manufacturing field...............

We're holding on but it ain't looking good.............. Hospitals are basically broke and not ordering anything.

Top Bottom