• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it make sense to look at everything as one big practical joke?

pramod

Banned
Forget religion, forget philosophy, the older I get the more I feel that The Comedian was right. It's all a joke. And the only way to stay sane in this insane world is to realize that, and that in the end, the joke and the lols is all that matters.

When my time comes I'm going to go out with a smile on my face, telling a joke, and giving a big finger to the universe.

Last edited:
godddamn i just realized that if you casted the comedian as batman instead and kept the tone like watchmen that shit would be CRACK

watching this im kinda seeing it like someone came up to wayne tower to try and assassinate bruce, and bruce instead of fighting as batman, fucking just fights as bruce

if you imagine the assassin is the one that loses the fight my god, dope thoughts

to answer your question:

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
tenor.gif

let me know if you wanna join my absurdist cult

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Hmm I'm not sure what I'm trying to express is absurdism exactly....I'm not counting out that there might be real meaning to the universe, or that there might be a higher power, I'm just saying that the best way to face life and existence and death is to treat it as a joke, and that instead of getting angry, depressed, sad, whatever....you should just laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.

I mean, this guy gets it:

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
i agree, ultimately all you can do is laugh but you should carry the torch anyway and pick your battles carefully

some things require intense focus and anger (to some extent), they're generally violent life exceptions like actual combat or attacks on your person (friends or family)

*edit* LOL fucking zorin, that's probably one of my favorite deaths of all time, go fucking figure you'd post it in this thread

Last edited:

Cravis

Life is too short to be angry and pissed off at every little thing. They say laughter is the best medicine.

Things don’t always work out the way you plan them, or want them to, but if you take it in stride and don’t sweat the small things life is a whole lot more enjoyable.

lil puff

To a degree, it's good not to constantly wallow in self pity, yeah.

But there is a line between that and denial of your feelings or convincing yourself that you don't feel the reality of a situation.

Like, if I knew of anyone that just laughed every situation off, I would presume that this person has more internal issues than they are letting off, holding in a huge amount of shit they are afraid to deal with.

And I cannot deal with people that simply can't take anything seriously. Imagine your partner, your GF/BF shrugging off every situation, not showing any empathy for anything you may be dealing with.

"I'm sorry .. heeheehee, your dog died... HAHAHAA. We'll just get a new one, chill"

BigBooper

Only if you're psychotic. That's not intended as an insult, because clearly you aren't or you wouldn't be asking as you are.

You have to find out what makes life special. It probably won't come find you, and if it does it will be fickle and temporary.

Personally, family is extremely important. People don't usually mention it in these subjects, but entertainment is too. Accomplishment is very important to me, but only occasionally. You are probably just in a bad situation right now. You are in control of where you go from here.

Good luck, bud!

I think a lighthearted approach is fitting for the universe we live in, certainly. It's easy to think otherwise when you're on top (or even just treading water), but give it a bit, and you will invariably be thrown off that perch - no matter who you are.

And, in my experience, the heart of the universe seems to love irony and have a really biting sense of humor. It's begging you to let go of your presumptive nature and embrace your nothingness and gain your freedom from attachment.

It's more the denizens of the universe (well, at least humans) that are absurd really - taking themselves with any degree of weight while dwelling in an obviously fleeting and exquisitely fragile state.

Weilthain

Banned
[
I think a lighthearted approach is fitting for the universe we live in, certainly. It's easy to think otherwise when you're on top (or even just treading water), but give it a bit, and you will invariably be thrown off that perch - no matter who you are.

And, in my experience, the heart of the universe seems to love irony and have a really biting sense of humor. It's begging you to let go of your presumptive nature and embrace your nothingness and gain your freedom from attachment.

It's more the denizens of the universe (well, at least humans) that are absurd really - taking themselves with any degree of weight while dwelling in an obviously fleeting and exquisitely fragile state.
agree with the sentiment but our existence is not nothingness or meaningless.

That is the lie people have fallen for. Big Bang is a load of shite.

You are not a spec of nothing floating through a universe created from nothing.

Last edited:
[

agree with the sentiment but our existence is not nothingness or meaningless.

That is the lie people have fallen for. Big Bang is a load of shite.

You are not a spec of nothing floating through a universe created from nothing.

I'm not referring to the Big Bang. My perspective is unrelated to a scientific point of view.

That’s what you say

I'm referring to the illusion of the "self", not any scientific model of the universe or how it has come to be. "You" are literally nothing - no thing. "You" is a concept only that arises and vanishes throughout life. In deepest non-REM sleep, where have you gone? Nowhere to be found. It is only upon regaining consciousness that you are discovered again. The self is an idea only, as is separation. All is one. So to say you are nothing is both correct and ironic because you are all, only the mind is deluded into seeing division where there is none.

Weilthain

Banned
I'm referring to the illusion of the "self", not any scientific model of the universe or how it has come to be. "You" are literally nothing - no thing. "You" is a concept only that arises and vanishes throughout life. In deepest non-REM sleep, where have you gone? Nowhere to be found. It is only upon regaining consciousness that you are discovered again. The self is an idea only, as is separation. All is one. So to say you are nothing is both correct and ironic because you are all, only the mind is deluded into seeing division where there is none.
! I like it!

SKM1

To a degree, it's good not to constantly wallow in self pity, yeah.

But there is a line between that and denial of your feelings or convincing yourself that you don't feel the reality of a situation.

Like, if I knew of anyone that just laughed every situation off, I would presume that this person has more internal issues than they are letting off, holding in a huge amount of shit they are afraid to deal with.

And I cannot deal with people that simply can't take anything seriously. Imagine your partner, your GF/BF shrugging off every situation, not showing any empathy for anything you may be dealing with.

"I'm sorry .. heeheehee, your dog died... HAHAHAA. We'll just get a new one, chill"

-Minsc-

No, but humour is necessary. I suppose finding the right balance between serious and fun is the big part of life. Both extremes can be painful.

Raven117

No. But its important to allow yourself the room to laugh....in the end. none of us are getting out of this alive.

Top Bottom