• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Proactiv work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I'm 23 and have mild acne on my forehead. Since I never trust stuff on TV, I want some feedback on the product if anyone of you used it and if it did work. I don't want a product like Acutane since it's not that bad, but it's noticeable.

So help me be zit free!

my brother and sister both used it. Worked for my brother, but my sister had to go get some stronger prescription stuff later on to do the trick.

border

Just use a blowtorch to singe the affected areas. Then get them to graft on some skin from a part of your body that doesn't normally get zits.

Mason

I used to use Proactiv, and it worked well. I never really had a bad acne problem though, but maybe this helped to prevent it.

I've found that Benzaclin works really well. Right now I use a benzoyl peroxide/ erythromycin combination as a topical application with minocycline in pill form. I have really REALLY bad acne. These things make those pimples just stop coming. The difference is absolutely astonishing. Those drugs aren't too expensive, and they might be covered under your health care plan.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Vitamin B and C. Lots of it (you can get combo pills that have "mega-doses" - don't worry, these vitamins are water-soluble, so they won't mess up your liver). Worked wonders for me, and there has been some positive research into the effects of high vitamin B doses on acne. So the theory goes, your body uses something you get in the B vitamins to develop you "downstairs" during puberty, and that same thing is used to control oil production in the skin. Hence a lack of it (due to "downstairs" development) = acne. So you need to get enough to balance out the demand and provide enough excess for your skin.

I used Proactiv a long time ago... it is decent for helping out if you have mild acne. Honestly though, I think you can do better buying separate products that do the same things. Eg: instead of their sulfur mask, use some benzoyl peroxide, or if that's too strong for you, just grab a sulfur mask of your own choosing at the grocery store. No need to go mail order.

teiresias

There are also over-the-counter ways of getting somewhat milder benzoyl peroxide treatments, which is probably the best topical treatment. It won't be as strong as the prescribed stuff, but there's actually some debate whether stronger versions actually work any better than milder forms. Currently, I use Neutrogena Clear Pour Cleanser/Mask. I have body acne problems more than breakouts on my face (mainly my shoulders), so maybe this is better for that, not sure.

Just watch out, because I believe benzoyld peroxide can bleach clothes so make sure you rinse thoroughly.

retardboy

Just wash your face using like a non oily kinda face wash... Neutragena has one. (oil free acne wash or some crap) After that, if you don't want to see a doctor, there are some otc drugs you can get like Proactiv. If you do see the doctor, I use Cleocin T (Clyndamyacin Phosphate) and Differin. (If you use Differin or something like Retin A, you need to use an oil free moisturizer with sunblock after because it makes your skin sensitive) If you don't feel like seeing the doctor and just want to buy the drugs I listed, try myrxforless.com which sells from Mexico so you don't need a prescription.

Tekky

Some general skin care tips:

* Wash your face. It's bacteria that causes a lot (all?) of acne problems.
* Having washed your face, you've stripped away natural oils that protect your face.
- So now you need to apply a good moisturizer to replace those oils.
* Apply some Oxy (benz. perox.) or some other antibacterial agent to your problem areas.
* Oxy (or whatever) is also an exfoliating agent.
- The buildup of dead skin cells can also cause problems.
* So each week, use a slightly abrasive sponge to wash your face with.
- Don't do this too often, or use something too abrasive.

You can see that taking care of your skin is a balancing act.
If you do too much of one thing, that's bad, unless you compensate by doing something else.

* Number one tip: Avoid touching your face unless your hands are clean.
- It's the bacteria, see?

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Tekky said:
Some general skin care tips:

* Having washed your face, you've stripped away natural oils that protect your face.
- So now you need to apply a good moisturizer to replace those oils.
* Apply some Oxy (benz. perox.) or some other antibacterial agent to your problem areas.
* Oxy (or whatever) is also an exfoliating agent.
- The buildup of dead skin cells can also cause problems.
* So each week, use a slightly abrasive sponge to wash your face with.
- Don't do this too often, or use something too abrasive.

Yeah, I was already doing that, but it didn't work. Like I said, it's not that bad but it sure could be better. Thanks for the ideas!

i know this might be kinda of obvious, but I had a friend with bad acne, that reduced his breakouts alot just by washing his pillow cases alot more often, stopped drinking coke or anything caffeine, and learning to not lean his face on his hands while sitting or anything like that.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
luvaboi217 said:
i know this might be kinda of obvious, but I had a friend with bad acne, that reduced his breakouts alot just by washing his pillow cases alot more often, stopped drinking coke or anything caffeine, and learning to not lean his face on his hands while sitting or anything like that.

I always drink a lot of water, never any caffeinated beverage, never eat junk... Anyways, I'll see when the product arrives, I've ordered it.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
300.jpg

This is all I've ever needed. I used proactiv before, but it didn't help me too much. I started using this and I haven't had any blemishes on my face for months. It's truly a gift of the gods.

Malakhov

Banned
What's good to prevent greasy skin? That's why I think sometimes I get a pimple or something. I don't get greasy skin 'cept the face after a hard day of work.

Alucard

Banned
Proactiv works if you stick with it. For the time I was using it my acne was well on the road to clearing up (I have a mild case on my forehead like you) but then I got lazy and stopped using it...and acne slowly started popping up again.

Did anyone else find that after the first part of the face wash, a red/purple residue would be left on your towel after you dried your face?

MoxManiac

This is a common misconception. It isn't merely the presence of bacteria that causes acne - it's that it gets trapped in your pores. I believe greasy substances can cause your pores to "clog" so to speak though, so watch out for things like that.

Deg

Banned
If all fails Accutane is there.

Dont stay long on antibiotics

Most acne products cause harm in the long run as they aggravate the skin.

Many people make their skin even worser or more greasy by using these products.

make sure you dont spend long on any treatment. Better to quickly move on to prevent any scarring and irritation.

Look after your skin and dont focus solely on killing acne at the expense of skin.

Celicar

Banned
My brother tried it and he didn't have any success with it. Accutane worked though. Pretty sure you need a prescription for it though.

The best thing to do would be to not listen to people here and go see a dermatologist, since they know what they're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom