• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Starfield feel "next gen" to you?

Does Starfield feel like a "next gen"

• Yes

Votes: 124 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 442 78.1%

• Total voters
It's a remix of fallout 3. It's bethesda's graphics/tech. Though it's true that new vegas was more low key with the sights and vistas.
I guess - yeah, there are using the Fallout 3 engine, reused assets, and whatnot, but when talking about Bethesda's ability to lift/design world, I wouldn't cite New Vegas. Use Fallout 3 in that case.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
A mission in Starfield, which has not been a recurring type so far, has you go in a ship with a broken grav drive where after few seconds it loses gravity. It makes all the physics based objects, and dead bodies, float and then slam down when gravity is restored.

That was a really cool mission and something I don't think I've seen other futuristic/space games do so far.

Crayon

I guess - yeah, there are using the Fallout 3 engine, reused assets, and whatnot, but when talking about Bethesda's ability to lift/design world, I wouldn't cite New Vegas. Use Fallout 3 in that case.

That's probly true. Also now that I think about it, actual fallout 3 is maybe two years earlier than red dead so that skew the comparison, too.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The level of bullshit feels 2 gens ahead of anything else. Assholes force an update. It starts and fails. It will not let me play and canceling the update which is at 0% will uninstall the whole game and require a re-download. I only have an hour to play and I lost that to MS's shitty xbox app. Fuck you microsoft.

Batiman

Banned
Tbh nothing feels next gen on both new consoles to me yet. Still enjoying them both but this generation as a whole has been meh.

The most next generation thing to me is still quick resume.

Flabagast

Tbh nothing feels next gen on both new consoles to me yet. Still enjoying them both but this generation as a whole has been meh.

The most next generation thing to me is still quick resume.
Tbh Cyberpunk might be the most next gen feeling game I have played on my PS5

Warablo

Starfield is pretty close to my dream game I've thought about for awhile.

Cyberpunk certainly has more next-gen feel in terms of city density.

Stooky

The Big Lebowski Death GIF by Working Title

GymWolf

This is just flat out wrong, there are multiple points in faction quests where you have to break or piss off another faction with certain options. Traits play into this as well, with whole factions being locked out with certain options.
I'm doing the crimson fleet, the uc and the freestar quests and not once being in another faction was brought up nor i had limitations, do i have to finish the damn quests for the game to notice that being in 3 factions that hate each others is not normal?

In the mean time i know big secrets about all of them...

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I haven't played it, but I've been watching reviews and stream clips. The difference in quality between Baldur's Gate and Starfield when it comes to the various cutscenes and NPC discussions is jarring.

It looks like Bethesda's version of Next Gen. Not ACTUALLY Next Gen.

Killer8

In terms of how well the feeling of space travel was pulled off, No Man's Sky feels like a generation ahead and yet it came out a generation ago.

However, I refuse to shit on Starfield on a technical level. No one is doing what Bethesda do in gaming, they are a genre in and of themselves. The fact that they continue to have world persistence in their games. not just in a few kilometer square piece of land but now spread across a whole galaxy, remains pretty mind boggling.

Minsc

Gold Member
I think any game that runs at 30fps on the Steam Deck (even if you have to strip it down to do so) cannot be next gen.

The level of bullshit feels 2 gens ahead of anything else. Assholes force an update. It starts and fails. It will not let me play and canceling the update which is at 0% will uninstall the whole game and require a re-download. I only have an hour to play and I lost that to MS's shitty xbox app. Fuck you microsoft.
LOL this is why I refuse to touch Microsoft Store on PC. People ask me why I don't want to use PC Gamepass and I'm like "Do you have to use shitty ass Microsoft Store?" and the answer is "yes" so then I guess I'll stick to using Steam which actually works.

twilo99

Can someone show the most next gen game out there currently because I’m not sure what I’m looking for exactly..

Knightime_X

Peoples' expectations are so high, I don't even know what's considered as next gen anymore.
There's stuff happening this gen that's wildly impossible on last gen.
Nanite and dlss come to mind as a few examples.

Not really but then 99% of games lately don't. Rift Apart looks next gen but outside of the teleportation it plays no differently to the PS2 games. If we are going by mechanics then TOTK is the most next gen game I have played recently lol.

Belthazar

Lol, no. The game design is ps360 at best and the graphics are about at PS4 Pro/X1X levels. It's a Bethesda game and I honestly don't know what people expected.

R3TRODYCE

I don’t think I’ve played any current gen game that has felt next gen. They all just look like prettier last gen games.

Muffdraul

Diminishing returns started by the time the jump from 2D to 3D happened.

Look out MGS 1 vs MGS 2

Did they looked just 3 years apart?
Diminishing returns doesn't start suddenly at some point in the middle. It starts on day 1 and slowly becomes more and more significant and noticeable.

Yes, the graphical leap from MGS1 to MGS2 was more obvious than the jump from MGS3 to MGS4. If that's your point then we agree.

Top Bottom