• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump releases list of 11 potential appointees to the Supreme Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Continuing the GOP stance that Obama only use his constitutional authority for about 3/5 of his term, Trump has released his short list.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/19/us/politics/donald-trump-supreme-court-nominees.html

Donald J. Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, released a list of potential Supreme Court nominees on Wednesday as part of an effort to quell concerns that he would not select conservative jurists.

The unusual move comes as Mr. Trump is looking to unify the Republican Party behind him and win over critics who remain skeptical about the seriousness of his candidacy. While some Republicans who oppose Mr. Trump have considered supporting Hillary Clinton or sitting out the election, he has regularly reminded them that the future of the Supreme Court is at stake.

After the death of Justice Antonin Scalia in February, critics of Mr. Trump expressed concern about whether he had the judgment to fill vacancies on the court. He had joked about appointing his sister, Maryanne Trump Barry, who is a senior judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit in Philadelphia, before suggesting that he would look for someone in the mold of Mr. Scalia and later promising to furnish some prospective candidates.

Mr. Trump said in a statement that his short list is “representative of the kind of constitutional principles I value and, as president, I plan to use this list as a guide to nominate our next United States Supreme Court justices.”

Mr. Trump’s includes the names of several judges who are regular favorites of conservative legal scholars and appointees of President George W. Bush.

According to a list released by the campaign, Mr. Trump’s potential nominees include several federal judges:

Steven M. Colloton of Iowa
Raymond W. Gruender of Missouri
Thomas M. Hardiman of Pennsylvania
William H. Pryor Jr. of Alabama
Diane Sykes of Wisconsin
Raymond M. Kethledge of Michigan

and several state Supreme Court justices:
Allison H. Eid of Colorado
Joan Larsen of Michigan
Thomas Lee of Utah
David Stras of Minnesota
Don Willett of Texas.

I'm sure we'll get more info on these guys in the coming weeks, but there's already some hilarity with the last one, Don Willett of Texas.

He's active on Twitter...
X3QJVup.jpg

zzk1j7g.png

pUbixGJ.png

Ekdrm2d1

Thomas M. Hardiman of Pennsylvania
William H. Pryor Jr. of Alabama
Diane Sykes of Wisconsin
Raymond M. Kethledge of Michigan

and several state Supreme Court justices:
Allison H. Eid of Colorado
Joan Larsen of Michigan

Thomas Lee of Utah
David Stras of Minnesota
Don Willett of Texas.

Who?
Non-poli GAF here

Can't find much info about most of these peoples' past rulings. The 2-3 that I did find didn't seem too extreme though. Hopefully we can get a good analysis from Poli GAF on these people

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I dont know, seems like a rather dubious selection without Judge Dredd's name on the list.

What's the point of this list? Why so many names? Seems soooo random...

If I had to guess based on the strategy that God Emperor Trump has employed so far,I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he's covered the entire political spectrum with this list. he's got some hard rights, some hard lefts, and some centers.

This way everyone feels like he's got them covered.

Could be wrong, but it seems to jive with his general campaign strategy.

dramatis

On the first two picks.

The third name on Heritage’s list of possible Supreme Court nominees is Judge Steven Colloton, who was appointed by President George W. Bush to the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, after previous service for Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr and as a U.S. attorney.

Colloton has been at the forefront of a number of troubling Eighth Circuit rulings, including writing decisions that reversed an $8.1 million award to whistleblowers who helped bring a defective pricing and kickback claim against a large corporation and a nearly $19 million class action judgment against Tyson Foods for violating the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. He also joined a ruling making the Eighth Circuit the only appellate court in the country that found that the Obama administration’s efforts to accommodate religious universities and other religious nonprofit objectors to the provision of contraceptive coverage under the ACA was insufficient, an issue now being considered by the Supreme Court.

Even more troubling, Colloton has dissented from a number of Eighth Circuit rulings that have upheld the rights of employees, consumers and others against big business and government agencies. He dissented from a decision giving African-American shoppers the opportunity to prove discrimination claims against a large department store, and then saw his view prevail by one vote when the full Eighth Circuit reheard the case. In another case, he dissented from a decision finding that a city had violated the Voting Rights Act by improperly diluting the voting strength of Native Americans.

Colloton dissented from rulings that gave individuals a chance to prove claims of use of excessive force and, in one case, that a city’s policy to use police dogs to bite and hold suspects without any warning was unconstitutional. In three separate cases, he dissented from decisions that employees should at least get the chance to prove in court that their employers retaliated against them for filing sex harassment, age discrimination, or other discrimination claims. In two more decisions, he argued in dissent that public employees should not have the opportunity to prove that they were retaliated against for speaking out in violation of their First Amendment rights. Yet he also claimed in a dissent that the First Amendment rights of a candidate for state supreme court justice were violated by a state judicial code of conduct restricting solicitation and other campaign activity in order to promote judicial impartiality and ethical conduct by judges. Even the conservative Roberts Court that decided the Citizens United case has agreed that these concerns justify solicitation restrictions in state supreme court elections.
Trump's main pick for a justice is the most pro-business asshole ever. What a populist.

I mean, the racism and misogyny make sense for a Trump judge.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conte...ish-supreme-court-what-would-trump-or-cruz-do

Trump really wants to overturn Roe vs. Wade.
Gruender authored the Eighth Circuit's opinion in In Re Union Pacific Railroad Employment Practices Litigation, No. 06-1706, which concluded that the Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978 did not give female employees the right to insurance coverage for contraceptives used solely to prevent pregnancy.[5][6] This opinion has been cited in the context of the debate over the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act contraception mandate.[7][8][9]

In Planned Parenthood Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota v. Rounds, No. 05-3093, a panel of the Eighth Circuit upheld an injunction that struck down a South Dakota informed consent law that required abortion providers to inform patients, among other things, that an "abortion will terminate the life of a whole, separate, unique, living human being." Gruender dissented, arguing that the law was constitutional and did not unduly burden women seeking abortions or infringe on the freedom of speech of physicians. The Eighth Circuit heard the case en banc and ruled in 2008 by a vote of 7–4, in an opinion authored by Gruender, that the law was, on its face, constitutional.[10][11]

In Little Rock School District v. North Little Rock School District, No. 04-2923 (2006), Gruender opposed the opinion of a panel of the Eighth Circuit that affirmed the district court's conclusion that federal desegregation monitoring should remain in effect in Little Rock, Arkansas. After the desegregation effort of the Little Rock Nine in 1957, the federal government began monitoring the school district in 1965. The Eighth Circuit agreed with the district court that the Little Rock district did not successfully evaluate its academic programs for how well they helped black students. Gruender dissented, arguing that the district court abused its discretion in mandating federal monitoring by using "impossibly subjective" criteria. The district court subsequently agreed with Gruender's reasoning and freed the school district from federal desegregation monitoring. In 2009, the Eighth Circuit then upheld the district court's decision in another appeal, No. 07-1866.[12][13]
And Trump's judges hate black people, but that's unsurprising.
The link in the first quoted post basically has some of the people on the list described there.

Dali

I just want the moderators in the presidential debates to challenge by saying "that's not an answer." He really needs to take firm stances on issues. "How will you get Mexico to pay for the wall?" "How will you track down and deport these millions of undocumented individuals?" "How smooth is China and how is it in the sack?"

I really feel like Trump has made a bed that he can't sleep in but everyone is going to give him a pass at debates.

HylianTom

Banned
{thanks for posting this, OP. This is pretty big.}

For anyone clinging to the "there's no difference between Trump & Hillary" narrative, this puts it in pretty stark terms. It looks like Trump went onto google and found out who the Heritage Foundation, the Club for Growth, and Focus on the Family would prefer as their Supreme Court picks.

Since the average SCOTUS appointee now sits on the bench for easily 25+ years, and since we're potentially looking at 3 appointees through 2021, the cliché phrase about how "this election is the most important blah blah blah" might actually ring a bit more true than usual. 2016's effects will follow us into the 2040s.

(And I really enjoy Willett on Twitter, but really don't want him on the high court.)

Soda Mixer

Neo Member
I had a constitutional law class with Joan Larsen when she was a professor at Michigan. She clerked for Scalia and I imagine she shares his "originalist" judicial philosophy, but she definitely shares his snarky sense of humor. I'm kinda surprised to see her name on the list--I figured Trump would try to consolidate conservatives by announcing he would nominate Lyin' Ted for the post.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I had a constitutional law class with Joan Larsen when she was a professor at Michigan. She clerked for Scalia and I imagine she shares his "originalist" judicial philosophy, but she definitely shares his snarky sense of humor. I'm kinda surprised to see her name on the list--I figured Trump would try to consolidate conservatives by announcing he would nominate Lyin' Ted for the post.

Yeah, I know some of the conservative pundits have been pushing for Cruz to be on the list. I'm kind of surprised it isn't, just to throw his supporters a bone.

Iksenpets

Banned
Can't find much info about most of these peoples' past rulings. The 2-3 that I did find didn't seem too extreme though. Hopefully we can get a good analysis from Poli GAF on these people

The only one I'm familiar with is Willett, who is a good bit more conservative than even Scalia was. He advocates a return to pre-New Deal constitutional law, under which the federal government had essentially no economic powers, where things like a federal minimum wage or mandatory overtime pay would be unconstitutional.

daveo42

Banned
So I assume that Trump has already set in motion a plan to kill off the current Justices so he can replace them with his own or is it common for a Presidential nominee to state their ideal Supreme Court?

Smart move. This is him speaking directly to his Republican detractors and will go a long way imo.

As Hylian pointed out, it will also provide ammunition for the Democratic base to use. It provides a very stark contrast between what you will get with Hillary and what you will get with Don when it comes to the Supreme Court.

studyguy

So I assume that Trump has already set in motion a plan to kill off the current Justices so he can replace them with his own or is it common for a Presidential nominee to state their ideal Supreme Court?

Not much of a plan when the majority of them are going to retire within the next 4 to 8 years. At least 4 of them are about to hit 80. RBG is first up, among the most liberal of justices on the bench. A lot is riding on the next presidency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom