• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

FluxWaveZ

Opened a stray chest only for a spirit to be unleashed, which caused winter to start immediately on day 7. Never even experienced winter before and I've only really done one playthrough, dying at day 18 or so.

Grinchy

Banned
Is there an option to turn on the percentages for your health, hunger and sanity? And also to show the effects of consumables on them?

If you hit R2, it actually pauses the game and you can arranged your inventory. When you do that, it shows the numbers for those stats.

PBY

Banned
Babhhhhh game just freaked out on me as I tried to spelunk and crashed.

Didn't like it at first but it's grown on me.

Edit- there's no way to save a current iteration of the world right? Like u can't save and keep going back to a point after dying.

MMaRsu

Banned
Babhhhhh game just freaked out on me as I tried to spelunk and crashed.

Didn't like it at first but it's grown on me.

Edit- there's no way to save a current iteration of the world right? Like u can't save and keep going back to a point after dying.

yup u can

Yes.

PS button to Home Screen and Options to Close Application. Can't quit through the game's quit screen.
Be careful, as this isn't reliable. If you're in the process of being killed when you close the application, a lot of times (always?) your save will already have been erased. You need to close the app when the situation is hopeless, but you're still alive.

Does every item in the game have some use? Like the flowers and stuff?
As far as I can tell, yes. For example, a dozen flowers can be crafted into a garland for your head, which restores sanity gradually (until it rots). I have yet to encounter a totally useless material, though some are used for very specific things.

That said, depending on what strategies you're using and what goals you have, certain materials may be pointless to *your* game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
There's only one thing I'd change about this game: The day and night cycles would be broken up into days, Mon, Tue, Wed ... and when you die you just get sent back to the start of the week. You'd still get that sense of achievement when you make it through your first winter but not the frustration of having to start all over again.

PBY

Banned
There's only one thing I'd change about this game: The day and night cycles would be broken up into days, Mon, Tue, Wed ... and when you die you just get sent back to the start of the week. You'd still get that sense of achievement when you make it through your first winter but not the frustration of having to start all over again.

I hope they add in some sort of save state/persistence as well; it kills all my desire to play to have to start everyyything up again.

Number45

As far as I can tell, yes. For example, a dozen flowers can be crafted into a garland for your head, which restores sanity gradually (until it rots). I have yet to encounter a totally useless material, though some are used for very specific things.
The act of picking flowers also restores sanity.

ev0

I hope they add in some sort of save state/persistence as well; it kills all my desire to play to have to start everyyything up again.

I agree. I have all the trophies I cant unlock, because to get the characters and the trophies I'd have to intentionally lose my game (which is at day 82)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Intentionally die for a trophy?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I agree. I have all the trophies I cant unlock, because to get the characters and the trophies I'd have to intentionally lose my game (which is at day 82)

Can you PS button out of the game, save the game to the cloud, die and then reload from the cloud?

ev0

Can you PS button out of the game, save the game to the cloud, die and then reload from the cloud?

That'd def work to get the Trophies now that you mention it. Thanks! But when the old save comes back I don't think it would recognize I unlocked any of the characters because my XP will go back down.

Kuldar

how do i stop those eye flower things invading my home?
kill_it_with_fire.gif

Set fire to a tree right next to them and enjoy the show.

PBY

Banned
start > save and quit.

next time you load the game you're there.

if you die and dont want to restart hold the ps button down and close the application, you can now restart and reload your save.
Ah. Ty

Cool. They should just patch in an easy mode to avoid this.

kiguel182

I think I'm kind of starting to get the basics of this game.

I'm on my day six now and I found a big pasture with tons of manure and even a dead guy with a backpack. But I can't find gold anywhere so I can't build the damn science machine, I'll probably won't last much longer.

I also found a zone that looked curse full of monsters and stuff and I walked around there for awhile but it started to go dark and I got the hell away from there. Not a good place to stay the night.

I had to force myself to close the game or I would've kept playing, really addicting.

I'm on my day six now and I found a big pasture with tons of manure and even a dead guy with a backpack. But I can't find gold anywhere so I can't build the damn science machine, I'll probably won't last much longer.

I also found a zone that looked curse full of monsters and stuff and I walked around there for awhile but it started to go dark and I got the hell away from there. Not a good place to stay the night.

I had to force myself to close the game or I would've kept playing, really addicting.

The rabbit hole only gets deeper.

Danlord

If you didn't know, you find gold in rocks. You know you're going to strike gold when you see small gold fragments on the rock itself, or at least I have noticed that. Also it must be known that pressing touchpad is the map, I wish I knew that earlier for one of my play throughs. :)
Now for them to fix auto-save, wish it'd save after every day, I lost a 22 day save and I was doing so well. (game crashed and put me back to Day 1)

Trouble

Banned
Just started a new game with Wendy and feeling good about this one. Spent the first 3 days scouting the map before finding a nice spot in a pig village right near a bunch of Beefalo and rabbits. Found Maxwell's door, two touchstones, plenty of spider nests, pig villages and a cave entrance.

Gonna set up my camp and start prototyping, set up farms and drying racks, then hopefully have some time before winter to scout further and find some gears.

monkey pickle

Neo Member
Really loving this game! I have been interested in this game for awhile now and it coming to plus for free is awesome. Its even made me stop playing AC4.

But I cannot for the life of me defend against attacks of any sort. After surviving 30 plus days, being attacked by multiple packs of hounds (and barely surviving) and then to be immediately demolished by the deer is crushing. It makes farming for gears and other parts for weapons or clothes very difficult.

But it's still a great game and i will soldier on....and probably die....a lot.

FHIZ

Just had my longest run, 26 days. I was playing it absurdly conservatively. Found an abandoned plot with three farms on it, set up shop there, luckily there were rabbits and beefalo plenty. Ran a daily routine of hunting rabbits, making a daily batch of meat balls, and drying whatever was left, while farming the beefalos for their shit.

Had a couple of close calls with dog attacks, but I managed to run them into the beefalos who would take care of them.

Was expecting winter to be tough, but I was making due. Supplies began to run short, and rabbits were becoming less and less available, along with the fourth ingredient needed for the meatballs.

Insanity began to set in, I realized this is probably what would get me, so I just let it lower night after night.

Then some fucking penguins moved in on my base, and thinking they were rather harmless, I went at them with a spear to sort of shoo them away...

THOSE GOD DAMN PENGUINS! My best run... ended by penguins of all things.

Had a great game going and started getting restless in the middle of winter, so I went out to find a Chester. Found him on the other side of the world, loaded him up, and decided to mine some gold before warming up by the fire for the night. I was going to make a bee line home first thing in the morning...

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=2d926cdee79497168ce5afb76079fde0&oe=52DBE7EB

At first I was going to fight, then I saw the other two and decided to run. I actually saw the sun coming up and ran toward my camp...into the bolder.

_hekk05

Banned
After multiple runs of Woodie, I still feel I like Wilson best. Winter is easiest with him and the beard offers no disadvantages.

^^^^^

Agreed. On Day 66. Any advice about hunting walruses? Are they as hard as the guide makes them sound. I really want the walking stick.

_hekk05

Banned
^^^^^

Agreed. On Day 66. Any advice about hunting walruses? Are they as hard as the guide makes them sound. I really want the walking stick.

Hard if there are multiple walruses, or if you don't have a reliable way to kill hounds. Easy if its just the mactusk and his kid.

Go near them until you can make them on your screen (preferably left or right, cus aspect ratio). They should start moving to you. As long as the walrus doesn't make a hand signal, the hounds won't actively approach you. This way, you can lure them away from the house, and the hounds may attack anything on sight, like spiders, or bee hives, or tallbirds, or beefalos. All will make short work of hounds.

After the hounds are dead, you can stun-lock the mactusk. The kid runs away if you get too near lol. He's just a source of meat.

Also I watched your stream. Your crockpot recipes sucked. So many berry bushes but you don't have a way to prevent a turkey from taking everything. 1 firehound attack and your entire base goes up in flames. Not a good situation to be in bro.

You guys are tough! :)

Ok, in terms of the red hounds, they will never be a problem because as soon as I hear that the hounds are coming I run 10 seconds to the south to my herd of 10+ beefalo.

As for the gobblers, they're annoying, but what can I do? Also, food is never a problem for me, so let them feed.

But I will make note of your crockpot suggestions.

I really feel like I could survive this way until day 500. I had a deerclops come last winter, and I just ran away. All it did was wreck my farms and my lightning rod. I have an active touchstone, if I die, the game doesn't save the death b/c of the touchstone, and I can just quit out to the XMB and jump back in, no harm, no foul. And once I get my meat effigy up . . .

So, I'm going to start challenging myself to explore the map. I'm going to hunt walruses, look for Chester, and try to find Maxwell's Door. If I die, I'll just quit out after I get revived at the touchtone.

_hekk05

Banned

Ok, in terms of the red hounds, they will never be a problem because as soon as I hear that the hounds are coming I run 10 seconds to the south to my herd of 10+ beefalo.

As for the gobblers, they're annoying, but what can I do? Also, food is never a problem for me, so let them feed.

I really feel like I could survive this way until day 500. I had a deerclops come last winter, and I just ran away. All it did was wreck my farms and my lightning rod. I have an active touchstone, if I die, the game doesn't save the death b/c of the touchstone, and I can just quit out to the XMB and jump back in, no harm, no foul. And once I get my meat effigy up . . .

So, I'm going to start challenging myself to explore the map. I'm going to hunt walruses, look for Chester, and try to find Maxwell's Door. If I die, I'll just quit out after I get revived at the touchtone.

You could make tooth traps and plant them in the middle of your field, but that's kinda pointless with so many bushes. Maybe a boomerang or some darts.

Relying on beefalos is not going to be so good once mating season sets in. Maybe with a beefalo hat. But you can't stack beefalo hats with a bush hat.

Also the quitting to XMB to reload is cheap. PC never has it, our saves are deleted immediately. If that ever happens and you continue you aren't on a default play-through anymore, as far as I'm concerned. Hope they patch that one out.

Ekid

Finally tried this game yesterday. Went to the 10th day, until I unlock my first trophy and that the game crash one second after....

Seems pretty good for me, but it's typically the type of game that i would like to play on a handled device.

How look the game on Vita by remote-play ? A vita version on the track ?

BibiMaghoo

A blow pipe is a sure way to deal with the turkeys. Shoot them once, they fall asleep, then go and rob them of their drumsticks.

Of course, you need to have a blowpipe. If you cannot make one, you can get one from the walrus party. One per Turkey is all you need.

Finally tried this game yesterday. Went to the 10th day, until I unlock my first trophy and that the game crash one second after....

Seems pretty good for me, but it's typically the type of game that i would like to play on a handled device.

How look the game on Vita by remote-play ? A vita version on the track ?

I've not tried it, but the UI is small on a TV. I can't see it being playable on a handheld without dramatic changes to the UI, or the patience of a god, which is a shame.

A blow pipe is a sure way to deal with the turkeys. Shoot them once, they fall asleep, then go and rob them of their drumsticks.

Of course, you need to have a blowpipe. If you cannot make one, you can get one from the walrus party. One per Turkey is all you need.

I've not tried it, but the UI is small on a TV. I can't see it being playable on a handheld without dramatic changes to the UI, or the patience of a god, which is a shame.

Awesome. Found a blow pipe early on happening upon a skeleton.

You can drop 3 red mushrooms near the gobbler to get rid of it. He will eat them and die leaving drumsticks behind.

maltrain

I was on day 186. Luckily, every time I go to bed, I make backup on the "online storage" on PS4 with my current state.

Then, after a hard winter, on day 192, I decided to go to the caves for the first time.

Go to one, with very important items (Pan Flute, for example) and Chester, of course... took a torch for a little exploring, deciding which will be my next path... and, a few meters ahead, the pandemonium... some kind of "worms" attack me and killed me in seconds just when I tried to climb!

I couldn't make the trick (hold PS, close the app) on the cave and revived on a touchstone... I went to recover my stuff (by the way, my map doesn't show complete, I don't know why... even the spot where I died wasn't in the map and I even made a sign expecting to mark the cave before going down)...

I found the cave (the game was "mute", no sounds at all), went down (sound returned) and the f*** worms where right there and I couldn't retrieve my stuff... killed again...

Another touchstone saved me, went for my stuff ("mute" again and with sound on caves)... the same thing... I tought I lost, but revived anyway... went again to the cave... but this time the cave generated" again and my stuff just vanished.

Then, I went to my camp thinking: "Well, I lost Chester, my stuff, I'll go to a new world via teleporter"... but I noticed that my progress unblocking prototypes was lost and I had zero advance... :(

Then, I remembered I saved a state last night... finally, I lost 9 days. Next time, I'll go ready for battle with those f*** bugs.

My advice: ALWAYS save to "online storage". ALWAYS.

Edit: This were the motherf*** who killed me:

Depths_Worm.png

maltrain

Another tip:

Create a "PANIC ROOM" next to your base, make a room (20x40) with rocks, with one exit on every corner. In the center, put a "Fire Pit" and put A LOT of "Tooth Trap" in there (they only requiere a hound's tooth, a log and a rope and have 10 uses).

When hounds arrives in the night, put a Football Helmet, a Log Suit and take a torch and you only need to escape from them and they will die because of the traps... maybe will give you some bites, but nothing important.

Then, you can collect all that Monster Meat and Hound's Dog (maybe gems too) and "reset" the traps that were used.

By the way, another tip: combine one Monster Meat and 3 berries for a Meatballs. :)

Top Bottom