• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 vs 2005 Retro PCs: Athlon X2 3800+/6800GT + Pentium 4 3.6GHz/6800 Go!

carlosrox

Banned
Still overall the best Doom game. Scary Doom is best Doom.

Almost no game tops the atmosphere of Doom 3. Absolutely stellar sound and art design. It's crazy how effective it still is to this day.

I remember playing the E3 demo leak loooooong ago and it ran on my crappy PC at like 5-10 frames but it still blew me away.

Then the game came out and I loved every second of it. I've played Doom 3 so many times and I will continue to play it over the years.

I just recently played the Switch version and loved it. I then installed the BFG Edition on my new comp and checked it out at a cool 4k! Doom 3 in 4k is a treat!

I can only imagine what I'd do seeing Doom 3 at 4k on my 28inch monitor at over 60fps after I saw that E3 demo at 10fps at god knows what resolution 😅

stranno

I still remember the night when the E3 beta was leaked onto fservers and xdccs (October 31, 2002). It ran like 10-15FPS on my computer but it was a great experience.

One year before Far Cry and Doom 3, an amazingly crappy Activision Value game already featured stencil shadows and specular lightning: Secret Service 2: Security Breach.

KfSLEkz.gif

aTj6K4F.gif

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
I remember buying a radeon 9800 Pro in anticipation for it. I can't even recall what GPU it replaced. I knew nothing of upgrading PC's back then and thought all I needed was a new graphic card to run it.

Instant crushing bottleneck when it was paired with a shitty old Pentium 3 cpu and I think 512mb of ancient ram. Had to spend another few hundred quid on upgrades to get the bastard running.

And I didn't think much of it when it did. Hated Mars, loved Hell. Serious love/hate relationship with Doom 3.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I remember buying a radeon 9800 Pro in anticipation for it. I can't even recall what GPU it replaced. I knew nothing of upgrading PC's back then and thought all I needed was a new graphic card to run it.

Instant crushing bottleneck when it was paired with a shitty old Pentium 3 cpu and I think 512mb of ancient ram. Had to spend another few hundred quid on upgrades to get the bastard running.

And I didn't think much of it when it did. Hated Mars, loved Hell. Serious love/hate relationship with Doom 3.

Got the same card for this game. I was lucky to have a GB of RAM at the time for UT2k4 which without it the load times were literally minutes.

Replaced a fx5200 that I got suckered into because I was a dumb teen that saw 512mb of RAM on the card and was like AWWWW YEAH.

9800 pro was such a good card.

Top Bottom