• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 64 – Official Announce Trailer

Bullet Club

Banned

Returning after 22 years, the cult classic DOOM 64 is coming to modern platforms. Available 03.20.2020 on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC.

Fight through demonic hordes, hunt down the Mother of Demons, and stop Hell's invasion as you battle through more than 30 action-packed levels. Be on the lookout for classic weapons and secrets to help you put an end to the demonic threat.

nkarafo

Just as i'm playing the DOOM 64 Retribution mod on PC.

I decided, this is the best DOOM game ever made.

This doesn't look as good as the Retrobution mod (it still has the original shotguns that lack reload animations) but it's a great release anyway.

MiguelItUp

One of my favorite DOOMs and underrated AF. It's so cool to see it getting more praise these days.

Also, what's up with the green blood? Is this an EU trailer? Is there a way to change blood sprite colors?

That would be a really bizarre change for NA IMO.

Last edited:

Loke

Just might be the video quality but the image looks way too oversaturated at parts, especially when firing the Plasma Rifle. Looks too bright overall.

nkarafo

Just might be the video quality but the image looks way too oversaturated at parts, especially when firing the Plasma Rifle. Looks too bright overall.
Yes, the trailer shows a small part of the first level, i remember this because i was adjusting the brightness based on this particular corridor. It's indeed way too bright in the trailer. It's so bright the shadows are barely visible.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I mean, the game has plenty of stuff for someone to censor. As far as satanic imagery goes, DOOM 64 had that in spades, moreso than DOOM and DOOM 2. I wonder if they keep any of that.

Last edited:
It's the japanese version's blood edit for sure. Still has the weird quirk of the enemy death sprites having red gore and blood even though the blood coming out is green.

NsZKmtw.png

Last edited:

CuNi

We're so far in into re-release culture, instead of moving old games into public domain and preserve them and treat them like history, we tend to just slap them onto everything that can run this bad boy and milk that cash 23 years in the future! If we keep up this trend, we'll have no developer ressources left for new games as every game dev on earth will be utilized in porting some old ass game to whatever consoles we'll have in 2050.

I predict it already. Next step? Introducing LOOT BOXES to HD remasters for the truly modern feeling!

H4ze

Fuck yeah, will be my first time playing Doom64.
Love how they brightened it up, original was waaaayyy to dark.

nkarafo

We're so far in into re-release culture, instead of moving old games into public domain and preserve them and treat them like history, we tend to just slap them onto everything that can run this bad boy and milk that cash 23 years in the future! If we keep up this trend, we'll have no developer ressources left for new games as every game dev on earth will be utilized in porting some old ass game to whatever consoles we'll have in 2050.

I predict it already. Next step? Introducing LOOT BOXES to HD remasters for the truly modern feeling!
Not that i disagree but the problem with DOOM 64 is that it's one of the most underrated games ever. It was released at a time when DOOM was considered archaic and got ignored under the shadow of games like Turok and Goldeneye. It was the time when "DOOM clones" started to give way for more evolved FPS games with proper 3D engines, stealth, missions, etc. And funnily enough, DOOM 64 is the one that aged the best of almost all N64 games and it's so good that most people who played it think of it as the real DOOM 3. If this release makes this game more known then it's good that they release it again. I just hope they don't fuck it up, the trailer has a few worrisome clues like the green blood and brightness.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

The green blood is probably there because of YOUTUBES's stupid ass rules.
They take down a video if it has red blood.

There is a good chance you can change the blood in options.

Romulus

DOOM 64 has the same sounds i believe. And a similar soundtrack.

I didn't like the lighting effects in the PS1 version though.

Yes the sounds are very similar. I always felt the ps1 version was the console goat. When I played doom 64 at launch, the animations and art style felt wrong to me, even to this day. Most of the monster styles were too cartoonish maybe idk. I still love it for its level design, lighting, and mods though.

MiguelItUp

or the GBA version?!
Or the Jaguar?!

I swear, out of everyone I personally knew when I was younger, my old best friend and I were the only ones that owned Jaguars, lmao. We didn't own a lot of games, but we borrowed each other's games all the time.

I'm still really curious about that green blood though. :pie_thinking:

Last edited:
Top Bottom