• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 64 – Official Announce Trailer

nkarafo

I had one. Alien vs Predator was the real deal back then. Fuck those med labs!
Jag bros! I'm in, and that was a scary ass game and looked incredible for the time.
I think the magazines at the time fooled you.

The Jaguar needed a "killer app" so much that they declared the least bad exclusive game (AVP) as one and convinced the gaming community it's a good game.

It's a mediocre game at best. Sure you have 3 different characters to play with but you roam the same looking corridors and air shafts again and again. The first 5 minutes you have seen everything the game has to offer as far as environments are concerned.

It's engine was also obsolete compared to DOOM, even at the time. It's closer to Wolfenstein than DOOM since it can only render corridors and square rooms at the same height. There is no such thing as a more complex architecture like in DOOM. It can show textured ceilings and floors but the frame rate was shit (like 15 fps) and there was even pop-up. The only good thing this game had technically, was the high-res scaling sprites.

The DOOM port Jaguar had was such a superior game (especially technically) it's not even funny. Not only it was faster, it had a newer, more complex engine at the same time. Which makes you wonder how shit the AVP engine was since it's simpler, older and couldn't even run as well.

Last edited:

Romulus

I think the magazines at the time fooled you.

The Jaguar needed a "killer app" so much that they declared the least bad exclusive game (AVP) as one and convinced the gaming community it's a good game.

It's a mediocre game at best. Sure you have 3 different characters to play with but you roam the same looking corridors and air shafts again and again. The first 5 minutes you have seen everything the game has to offer as far as environments are concerned.

It's engine was also obsolete compared to DOOM, even at the time. It's closer to Wolfenstein than DOOM since it can only render corridors and square rooms at the same height. There is no such thing as a more complex architecture like in DOOM. It can show textured ceilings and floors but the frame rate was shit (like 15 fps) and there was even pop-up. The only good thing this game had technically, was the high-res scaling sprites.

The DOOM port Jaguar had was such a superior game (especially technically) it's not even funny. Not only it was faster, it had a newer, more complex engine at the same time. Which makes you wonder how shit the AVP engine was since it's simpler, older and couldn't even run as well.

I wasn't fooled, I loved it back then and got tons of hours out of it with my friends. They'd always ask to play it. Doom on Jag was great too, I agree.

nkarafo

I wasn't fooled, I loved it back then and got tons of hours out of it with my friends. They'd always ask to play it. Doom on Jag was great too, I agree.
I guess i was expecting too much of it after all the hype. I did play DOOM before AvP, almost every version of it. So with AvP, i was expecting something at the same level at least. When i realized it runs at 15 fps on a similar engine as the aging Wolfenstein i hated it at that moment and could not appreciate anything potentially good it might had.

Orta

Banned
Just gave the Switch version a quick ten minutes, so far so good. Looks lovely on the small screen, sounds fantastic, very dark (only played two levels) but brightness options are there, didn't notice any frame rate drops either. There are AA options in the video setting too which was a nice surprise.

Can't wait to get stuck in over the weekend, for €5 it seems to be a no brainer. Will double dip on the pc version even though I have the Kaisers EX port.

Outstanding port, you get:

- Gyro Controls
- Totally adjustable Field of View Settings
- Ability to change the blood from red to the japanese green edit
- An option to turn the texture smoothing filter off (Pro-Tip: Turn It Off)
- A whole new chapter (The Lost Levels)

All included in and the port runs buttery smooth too. Nightdive did a fantastic job!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Buttery smooth? It (optionally) uses motion interpolation for high fps and otherwise runs at the original fps. That's par for the course for every Doom port mind, but those on PC tend to also do it for compatibility with mods and all.

These official re-releases could try fixing the specific games if only to differentiate from the freebies. Otherwise this doesn't offer much beyond Doom 64 EX etc. Some additional resolution modes maybe.

And yeah turn off filtering, you'd think textures were made with filtering in mind and would look off but nope, it's much better without. Weird they didn't turn it off on the N64.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

- Gyro Controls

All included in and the port runs buttery smooth too. Nightdive did a fantastic job!

I prefer it with filtering on, more faithful to how I remember it on the N64 :), but the amount of options offered is quite mind blowing. Amazed they got true 16:9 widescreen support. The OLED is working quite well with it :).

sQj1J0b.jpg

s4ioBnK.jpg

I actually never played Doom64 before. Always thought it was some lazy reimagining but then recently read teh opposite. Game plays awesome and the graphics/lighting is really good for the time. Now give me quake franchise.

Last edited:

Fake

- Gyro Controls

You mean three versions of AA: MSAA, FXAA, FXAA fast and off.
I using MSAA.

I must say is better than I hope. Kudos to those Turok port devs.

Bolivar687

Banned
Amazon delayed my DOOM Eternal order until Sunday, but emailed me the code so I've been playing this.

I'm having way more fun with this than I thought I would from the preview videos. The dungeons are just intriguing enough to keep you hooked for the next level.

Porcile

First time to play and woah this game is sick. Love the graphics and art direction. Fuck all of you, N64 was my favorite era for FPS games.

njean777

So what is the difference between this and regular Doom? I got all of the series on the Xbox two weeks ago with the insane sale they threw on all of them. Should I pick this one up for 5$?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So what is the difference between this and regular Doom? I got all of the series on the Xbox two weeks ago with the insane sale they threw on all of them. Should I pick this one up for 5$?
How is it not obvious from anything within this thread that it'(wa)s a whole new game with its own graphics, levels, music, pacing and what not?

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
How is it not obvious from anything within this thread that it'(wa)s a whole new game with its own graphics, levels, music, pacing and what not?
I think you quoted the wrong person...I was so confused for a moment when I was reading what you said and what you were replying to.

xrnzaaas

The game is pretty nice, I've finished about 10 levels so far (this is my first playthrough, I didn't own an N64). Two things really annoy me - antialiasing doesn't work for the guns and there are no reload animations for weapons. This is especially annoying with the supershotgun.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
My first time playing it, too. I just marathoned Doom 1, 2 and 3 this month and going straight on to 64.

Played 4 levels so far. Really fast and fun. Definitely feels like Doom, but everything’s different (levels, textures, etc). Only complaint so far is the lack of real cock-rockin’ music like from Doom and Doom II.

Has the fastest Save/Load I’ve ever seen in a game. Like instant.

EDIT: I just remembered my second complaint. Enemy AI seems worse than the first two Doom games. Not a big deal, but it’s there. Probably was a memory limitation from the N64.

Last edited:
Top Bottom