• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom is almost 30 - Carmack and Romero reunite for a podcast

winjer

Gold Member

Doom launched for DOS all the way back on December 10, 1993. We are less than a month away, from the 30th anniversary, of one of the most influential games ever.
It's going to be cool to see John Romero and John Carmack reminisce on the making of Doom.

violence

Whoa this seems crazy. I wonder if they’re just gonna talk about the old days or if they’re going to get into heady conversations about AI.

Last edited:
Dang, I think it may be time for me to play a wad again. I'll probably do Elementalism this time around, and maybe actually beat Eviternity. Eviternity kicks my ass whenever I try and play it on UV, though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What ever happened to Romero? I know in the 90s he tried to go on his own and it didn't turn out great. But the past 20 or so years he does tons of noname indie games.

Did he get blacklisted? Or he just preferred doing casual games? You'd think even with Daikatana which flopped, studios would be begging to hire him o help make FPS games.

SimTourist

What ever happened to Romero? I know in the 90s he tried to go on his own and it didn't turn out great. But the past 20 or so years he does tons of noname indie games.

Did he get blacklisted? Or he just preferred doing casual games? You'd think even with Daikatana which flopped, studios would be begging to hire him o help make FPS games.
He's the washed up rockstar of gaming. Going around and telling everyone how great they were 30 years ago but the world has moved on.

I'm going to see if my old floppy copy still works. I've got a USB to floppy device somewhere in the house. At some point I had copied all my floppies over to a hard drive. Now I can't find that hard drive.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Still have the physical PS1 disc. Its incidentally the first truly great game released on a Playstation console if ya ask me.

There are some rumors suggesting that they're working on a Quake game. But who knows.
I am hoping to hear something about that in 2024. It's been a hot minute now.

But didn't a new doom got leaked called DOOM: Year Zero?

Last edited:
Guess my wish came through. I just thought about a month ago that how cool would it be to have these two gentlemen on a same podcast.

Xdrive05

He's the washed up rockstar of gaming. Going around and telling everyone how great they were 30 years ago but the world has moved on.

Yeah, there are some giants who are built *just* right for their place and time in history, who make a huge innovation. But those same giants are also not at all equipped for relevance decades after the rest of the industry has moved on, standing on said giants' very shoulders as the case may be.

The same could be said for Carmack, who made technical missteps if anything once you get to, say, Rage. The difference is he was smart enough to leave game engine development and put his huge brain to work on other pursuits. Engine technology was accelerating faster than he was keeping up with it, and it's been doing so even faster since he left.

Hudo

I was hoping for Quake, but there was a recent leak that stated they were working on Doom: Year Zero.

I am hoping to hear something about that in 2024. It's been a hot minute now.

But didn't a new doom got leaked called DOOM: Year Zero?
I wasn't aware of this "Doom: Year Zero" thing. Would be sad if they were making yet another Doom. Don't get me wrong, Doom 2016 was awesome and Doom Eternal was solid.... It's just that my heart is beating for Quake.

I wasn't aware of this "Doom: Year Zero" thing. Would be sad if they were making yet another Doom. Don't get me wrong, Doom 2016 was awesome and Doom Eternal was solid.... It's just that my heart is beating for Quake.
Yeah I agree with that.

DOOM Year Zero sounds like a prequel.

And yeh that was leaked same day as the the Xbox Strategy with all the slides in September.

Last edited:

Hudo

And yeh that was leaked same day as the the Xbox Strategy with all the slides in September.
It seems I have not heard of this at all. Was there also something about Age of Mythology: Retold or Age of Empires in general in that as well?

It seems I have not heard of this at all. Was there also something about Age of Mythology: Retold or Age of Empires in general in that as well?
I believe AoG Retord was revealed on October 25th, 2022. But here is the list.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3 remasters, a GhostWire: Tokyo sequel, Doom Year Zero, Dishonored 3 and the Indiana Jones game from MachineGames.

Here is the trailer for Retold.

Last edited:
Legendary game, still plays quite good.I did play it again a few years ago, using Project Brutality.It was AMAZING non-stop action,to the point I wasn't able to enjoy Eternal.

Hudo

I believe AoG Retord was revealed on October 25th, 2022. But here is the list.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3 remasters, a GhostWire: Tokyo sequel, Doom Year Zero, Dishonored 3 and the Indiana Jones game from MachineGames.

Here is the trailer for Retold.

Yeah, I've seen the trailer when they showed it. But it's been quite a while, so I thought that maybe there was something new in the leak. Oh well. Thanks, tho.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I remember back in the day seeing it run on my mates 486 DX and it was mind blowing. We just couldn’t believe it.

I also remember playing the hell out of Doom 64 when it came out. Still my favorite Doom version.

WitchHunter

Banned

Doom launched for DOS all the way back on December 10, 1993. We are less than a month away, from the 30th anniversary, of one of the most influential games ever.
It's going to be cool to see John Romero and John Carmack reminisce on the making of Doom.

Cool, cool, but John Romero seems to be nothing more than a lucky bastard who was in the right place at the right time. What he did with Daikatana... I mean that's mind boggling. Anyways, the golden era showed how creativity can flourish when money is not the primary driving factor of making something unique.

Fuck, look how ppl bastardized modern Doom.

winjer

Gold Member
Cool, cool, but John Romero seems to be nothing more than a lucky bastard who was in the right place at the right time. What he did with Daikatana... I mean that's mind boggling. Anyways, the golden era showed how creativity can flourish when money is not the primary driving factor of making something unique.

Romero is a great programmer, just not as great as Carmack. But very few are.
Romero did a lot of programing work at id and even before id. Some even for the US military.
And he is a great level designer and art director.

Daikatana was a failure, because he trying to do way too much for the tech of the time.
Taking out the bad AI, and it's a good FPS with some original ideas.

But it was thanks to his passion for games, and him creating Ion Storm, that we got Deus EX.

violence

Romero did make a fun game that still holds up today with Doom. That’s more than most people can say.

Going “solo”, I think the decisions he made bit him in the ass (hiring underqualified people) I wouldn’t mind seeing a nightdive studio reimagining of daikatana.

Last edited:

Ivan

Phil Spencer should give those two guys billions of dollars and make them work with ID again...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Romero did a lot of programing work at id and even before id. Some even for the US military.

Daikatana was a failure, because he trying to do way too much for the tech of the time.

But it was thanks to his passion for games, and him creating Ion Storm, that we got Deus EX.
Agreed. Romero did a lot of great stuff and shouldn't be glossed over. But yeah, he just wasn't as good at programming as Carmack. He was very much a jack of all trades in Doom's development.

I also agree that Daikatana could have been great, but it choked on it's own ambition.

WitchHunter

Banned

You are on a revisionist streak about how things happened :D. If I remember right back at id office JC kicked JR out in 96 because he wasn't working hard hours... The success and fame went right into his head... and it ruined everything later at Ion Storm. He formed a studio that was later bought out by Eidos, that's how they got some money infusion. And what was friggin awesome is Tom Hall's work on Anachronox. Plus Warren Spector created Deus Ex in a whole different branch they were in. Now those two were clearly fucking good games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You are on a revisionist streak about how things happened :D. If I remember right back at id office JC kicked JR out in 96 because he wasn't working hard hours... The success and fame went right into his head... and it ruined everything later at Ion Storm. He formed a studio that was later bought out by Eidos, that's how they got some money infusion. And what was friggin awesome is Tom Hall's work on Anachronox. Plus Warren Spector created Deus Ex in a whole different branch they were in. Now those two were clearly fucking good games.
Nobody questions that Romero got too big for his britches and let fame go to his head, which ended up being his downfall.

But I take issue with this notion that he wasn't an important and talented figure and was just "at the right place at the right time".
I do not believe Doom would have happened with out him.

Top Bottom