• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things you've done in gaming (other than playing)

Skitso

Hey guys, this is my first thread ever, so be kind.

So, I'm 45 years old and been a gamer most of that time. Over this period of 30 something years I've played countless games with dozens of different game machines from Colecovision, Atari Lynx, different PC's starting with DOS operating system, first two Xboxes, all Playstations from 2 to this day, almost all Nintedo systems, you name it. At the moment I have a decent gaming PC, PS5 and Switch. Waiting eagerly for PS5 Pro.

Some of my all time favorite games (and series) are: Doom, Mass Effect, X-Com, TLOU, Ghost Of Tsuhsima, Bioshock, Jagged Alliance, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island, Deus Ex, Gears Of War, Thief, Ultima Underworld, Ultima 7, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout2, Half-Life, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, Max Payne and Arkham Asylum. There's more but I just can't remember them all.

But I've also done a lot of other gaming related stuff. Back in the 90's and 00's we did three cool games (Mine Bombers, Pac Brothers and DBTL) with my buddy, and while it was kinda just a fun hobby, we did some decent money out of them.

I've also written game reviews and other articles for maybe three of four years for two different gaming sites back in the days. It was a nice additional income while studying and a great way to have free games.

I've also been a part of many modding communities. I did a lot of mapping for Wolfenstein3D, original Doom and Doom II and later Quake.

Later I was part of the Xenonauts Community Edition modding group, mostly making maps and visual mods. My map pack for the game (that suffered a lot from lack of map variety) was quite popular. I participated also in Virtual Pinball community and part of the VPW (Virtual Pinball Workshop) Did a lot of mostly visual projects there too.

So here's my short backstory of gaming. I'm interested to get to know you all. So if you have time, tell me a bit of your hobby. Nice to meet you all. :)

Last edited:
I failed 8th grade because of video games. This lead to me eventually dropping out, many years of shitty hard labor jobs and being a broke loser until my late 20s.

Man Body GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Stared at 2B's ass for hours.

Does spending time on gaming forums count? I've also (unfortunately) maintained trackers and spreadsheets to chase after a couple of platinum trophies lol

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I was an in game mod for an old game called Neocron, the very first one plus have been a moderator for Ybarra and the official Xbox channel on Mixer (rip) and did it for awhile on Twitch but stopped

Some basic modding for Dark Souls and some unpublished videogame prototypes. Also arguments. Lots and lots of arguments...

Holammer

I worked at a mom'n pop videogame and comics store back in the 90's and I was a pretty damn good salesman. Fondest memory was when the Nintendo sales representative offered us 300'ish copies of Super Mario All Stars for the European release to sell at a discounted price. I convinced my boss into accepting the deal, saying it would surely sell. He was a wreck for weeks till we got the games, we put an ad in in the local paper and when I got to work in the morning there was already a long queue. We had some extra staff and one more cash register for the occasion, every copy was sold in 3-4 hours.

I had a fairly popular emulation news site back when the interwebs was new. Used to hang on Efnet's emulation channels every night discussing games. It was a fun time and my phone bill was monstrous. I was also involved with the dumping of Phantasy Star for the Master System and the "release" of the rom was a real happening/event for its time. Some of the Master System games floating around, like Wonderboy III might be from my carts, you're welcome! :D

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Back in 2013 I started writing scripts (initially Greasemonkey scripts) to add new features to the Steam store. Which, at the time, was a bit shit and difficult to navigate. When I hit the limitations of Greasemonkey I ported everything over to Chrome and Firefox extensions, and that's how Enhanced Steam was born. I originally started it by just sharing the scripts (and eventually extension links) with friends on Cheap Ass Gamer - but it became super popular and in a short amount of time the number of installs was in the millions.

As it grew in popularity, I had employees from Valve reaching out to me to ask questions or to make recommendations on how to reduce their server load from Enhanced Steam users. I worked with them to set up a lot of the Store and Community APIs that are still in use today. I got invited to private tours at Valve occasionally. Over the years, they kept putting Enhanced Steam features into the Steam store itself - which was great since everyone could benefit from them.

Everything was funded through donations, which mostly just covered the server costs. By 2019, I realized that I was spending a ton of time on the project (sometimes 30-40 hours a week) while only really benefitting from it with experience and industry connections. So, I passed the torch on to the guys from IsThereAnyDeal, who actually had a financial stake in its success, and bowed out. They created a fork called Augmented Steam that's still basically essential for any proper Steam user.

SHA

I failed 8th grade because of video games. This lead to me eventually dropping out, many years of shitty hard labor jobs and being a broke loser until my late 20s.

Man Body GIF
How? Did it seem more serious than real life to you or because of other personal reasons? I have a friend who sometimes sleep an hour a day through the week to beat games, he clearly took the hobby too seriously, I'm not even close to that, I have priorities and able to manage just fine.

Killjoy-NL

Earned some money as an animator for the second episode of an animation series made in Dreams (Noguchi's Bell), which managed to get shown at the Tokyo Short Film Festival in 2022.

Also was lead-animator for what was seen as one of the most promising projects in Dreams (Project Ikelos).
The trailer and demo were very well-received, but unfortunately the project fell apart when the covid-pandemic started.

Dunno if that counts, but since many consider Dreams a "game", thought this belonged in here.

First console I played on was Atari 2600, which belonged to my older brother. First game I ever played was Pole Position.

My favourite games of all time are In no particular order: Contra 3, Final Fight, Mario World, Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer, Castlevania 4, Mass Effect Trilogy, Half Life Series, Gears of War 1-3 Mirrors Edge, Resident Evil 4, Max Payne 3, Street Fighter 2, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, Warhawk PS3, Tetris, KOTOR.

Never been a single console owner during generations. I always considered myself fortunate for that especially as a kid considering some didn’t even have one due to financial issues with their families.

Won the local area Star Fox competition, the game was called StarWing here in the UK. Prizes were a cap , certificate and copy of the game. Event took place at a retailer called Electronics Boutique which was eventually took over by Game UK.

Got in trouble in early 90s for beating up a older boy in a local arcade for trying to bully me off my turn at playing T2: The Arcade game that I payed for . He had tried to do to me and others on previous occasions. I was told his father was the manager but I didn’t care, had enough of him and lost my temper one day at his arrogance and punched him and dragged him along the floor in rage. His father threatened the police but thankfully nothing further happened.

Last edited:
I once won a local Sensible Soccer tournament and qualified for a national one. Unfortunately my 11-1 was unimpressive compared to the victor's 54-0

Got in trouble in early 90s for beating up a older boy in a local arcade for trying to bully me off my turn at playing T2: The Arcade game that I payed for . He had tried to do to me and others on previous occasions. I was told his father was the manager but I didn’t care, had enough of him and lost my temper one day at his arrogance and punched him and dragged him along the floor in rage. His father threatened the police but thankfully nothing further happened.
Were you banned from the arcade?

Top Bottom