• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doomed or forgotten videogame mascots

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Here are a few I remember that seemed to disappear like a fart in the wind.

1. Bubsy

2. Gex (I liked these ones) which I believe was also the mascot for Crystal Dynamics

3. Croc

Dishonorable mentions: Blinx, Turok, Parappa (they weren't mascots but I thought they would have stuck around loner)

What are some you remember? Would any of these be worth resurrecting?

Last edited:

This thread feels like a midnight luau at Ricky Martin's house!

We can count the myriad of "rodents with attitude" that appeared after Sonic. Sparkster, Aero the Acrobat, Zero the Kamikaze Skirrel, Awesome Possum...

But if I have to choose one it will be Zool, the mascot for Gremlin Interactive.

zool-2-1.png

Sponsored by ChupaChupsⓇ

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The graveyard of mascots on SEGA systems could fill a thread. Alex Kidd, Kid Chameleon, Ristar, Dynamite Headdy, Rocket Knight / Sparkster, Vectorman, etc
They were trying. 3DO had Gex as their mascot and they cheating bastard ported himself to Sega and Nintendo hehehe. I still feel it's strange that he never made it to the 6th gen. The Sega mascots you mentioned were contending against the ever growing list of Nintendo mascots. Remember this one? (I had this game, too) High Seas Havoc...very Sonicesque...hmm...

They were trying. 3DO had Gex as their mascot and they cheating bastard ported himself to Sega and Nintendo hehehe. I still feel it's strange that he never made it to the 6th gen. The Sega mascots you mentioned were contending against the ever growing list of Nintendo mascots. Remember this one? (I had this game, too) High Seas Havoc...very Sonicesque...hmm...

Nope, never tried High Seas Havoc.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Nope, never tried High Seas Havoc.
You didn't miss very much. I remember seeing the advertisements for this game in old magazines and it seemed like they were really pushing for it to be something. I remember the introduction had a sub-menu where the seal character would conduct an orchestra...kinda weird.

Another honorable mention...Toe Jammin' Earl pretty much vanished. I vaguely recall them having made a 3D version for possibly the original XBOX. After that, I never heard anything about them again.

Another honorable mention...Toe Jammin' Earl pretty much vanished. I vaguely recall them having made a 3D version for possibly the original XBOX. After that, I never heard anything about them again.
They made a sequel / revival recently!

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Where is my main man Jim? From earth.. You know the guy. The worm.
not sure if this is still in the works but...

That one is so forgettable that I forgot to include it in my list of forgettable Sonic clones.

Nymphae

Banned
How are we defining video game mascots? Like most of the things people are saying are on the wiki for "videogame mascot characters", but I don't feel like nearly anything in here was presented as a brand or company mascot as I understand the term. They're the featured characters in pieces of media, but to me that's not a mascot necessarily.

Last edited:

theHFIC

Trevor McFur managed to be not only a weak mascot on Atari Jaguar, but also a cheap clone of Star Fox's Fox McCloud.

But the actual Star Fox ripoff was that horrible Cybermorph game.

Shrap

I still despise Bubsy to this day. I can't get that annoying "WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?" voice out of my head... :messenger_pouting:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Blasto comes to mind. Only one game! Tomba as well.
Both were amazing. Pretty sure that Blasto never kept up because Phil Hartman was murdered by his wife not long after doing the voice-overs. Tomba is fairly rare and not what I would consider a mascot but it was a great and extremely rare game.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
How are we defining video game mascots? Like most of the things people are saying are on the wiki for "videogame mascot characters", but I don't feel like nearly anything in here was presented as a brand or company mascot as I understand the term. They're the featured characters in pieces of media, but to me that's not a mascot necessarily.
I agree, most discontinued or forgotten characters in a thread like this are not going to all be mascots. No, I didn't use Wikipedia or others recycled info from YouTube either. I pulled some from the top-of-my-head that I realized are no longer appearing. Pretty sure all the big name consoles wanted multiple mascots. Mario is one of many mainline Nintendo mascots, for example. Sonic, was all Sega chose to redeem as a mascot although I recall them really pushing Bubsy even though it wasn't exclusive. Gex was admitted to be represented by 3DO for a short time and was their mascot for Crystal Dynamics. Croc to me seemed like something Sony was pushing for like Crash Bandicoot...or my memory could be poor. The others, I said in parenthesis they were not necessarily mascots.

Nymphae

Banned
I was probably just being overly pedantic :messenger_grinning_sweat:

For my own personal definition, I feel like the character would need to be used to sell other things for the company than the primary property it was known for to be a mascot, for example Mario was used in all kinds of software from Nintendo that wasn't just SMB games.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I was probably just being overly pedantic :messenger_grinning_sweat:

For my own personal definition, I feel like the character would need to be used to sell other things for the company than the primary property it was known for to be a mascot, for example Mario was used in all kinds of software from Nintendo that wasn't just SMB games.
Well, they tried with Gex but interest by the late-90's had gone down (especially, after people saw what was being offered from the then-new Sega Dreamcast).

RAIDEN1

Cool Spot.

The first game was great too.

51TS7%2BpcDVL._AC_.jpg
Difficult as probably Donkey Kong Country I'd say having recently added it to my SNES Mini, you can't even complete a dam level without the neccessary amount of "spots" I am there at the end of the boat level ready to break the padlock, but I can't as I don't have enough "spots" which then means traversing ALL the way back

Silvawuff

Awesome Possum Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt is my contribution to this delightlful retrospective. OH WAIT WHAT ABOUT AERO THE ACROBAT AAAHHH. OR ZERO THE KAMIKAZE SQUIRREL?!

FGR05kg.jpg

Top Bottom