• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQ's Hori, "once the smartphone boom settles, home consoles will be the focus again"

Sayter

The very existence of Smash 3DS proves you wrong. The amount of content and scope cut from the Wii U version, just to get it to run on a handheld, seems like a "problem".

It's possible through streaming. DQOX is streamed on the 3DS. With the enormous userbase it has, and the fact SE puts DQ on the device with the largest userbase, 3DS is the prime candidate for the next DQ game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So the Last Guardian and the first home console based main line DQ game since VIII. Things sure are looking up for the PS9.

t1aBJT6.jpg

It's because the console in question is not made by Nintendo.
I am not sure what you are implying, I will say the same thing if people says DQ11 is a wiiu Exclusive.
Leaving out the largest dedicated console market share of 3DS or the matured (although not as much compared to 3DS) PS3 does not make sense.

It's because the console in question is not made by Nintendo.
Oh blah.

Maybe some sure. But if it was a WiiU exclusive I'd be mocking the idea as much as it being PS4 exclusive. PS3/PS4/WiiU would make more sense, but at that point just release it for 3DS and phones. You keep the budget in check and get tens of millions more potential buyers than you would for all three of those home consoles.

Releasing it for one of them only would be marginalizing DQ entirely until the next release.

To put it another way... the marketshare for PS3/PS4/WiiU in 2016 will likely be under 3DS marketshare today. PS3 may be closing in on 11 million units by then, WiiU may be closing in on 2.5 million units, and PS4 probably around 2 million units.

To put it another way... the marketshare for PS3/PS4/WiiU in 2016 will likely be under 3DS marketshare today. PS3 may be closing in on 11 million units by then, WiiU may be closing in on 2.5 million units, and PS4 probably around 2 million units.

PS3 installed base will be 11m units, but how many will be active 9 years after launch? 90% probably migrated over PS4, so there would be an overlap.

OmegaDL50

I suppose it doesn't really matter at this point, though. The game is already in development.

And if this article is any indication - http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/12/dragon-quest-xi-development-will-made-home-consoles/

It's up in the air what platform it's being developed on, but it most likely will be a Japanese one considering the audience of the series, with that being said I'll be covered.

PS3 installed base will be 11m units, but how many will be active 9 years after launch? 90% probably migrated over PS4, so there would be an overlap.

In 2016 there will probably still be more PS3 users than PS4 ones in Japan, which is where the sales of DQ matter firstmost.

90% migration in the West, sure that's a certainty. Now if the game gets released on both the PS3 and PS4 well both the Japanese and Western market is covered and the issue of overlap isn't that big of deal.

crinale

Retail price of software would be quite higher if they release console version though.
Wada made a small mention about DQ9's retail price at the investor's meeting back then.

Atram

best scenario: 3DS will have a DQIX like DQ exclusive Game wich will sell enough to substitute the Main DQ XI on the PS Platforms wich for sure will sell Bad on DQ levels of sales.

Everyone would be Happy :)

wmlk

Nintendo is not and will not be making a hybrid system... What they are planning to make is a console and handheld that can run the same OS and software so that while Japan can continue to be happy with its handheld future, those outside Japan who prefer console gaming over handheld gaming can play those same games on Nintendo's console.

Ugh, semantics.

This is what I had meant. I didn't mean the Fusion or Terminal or whatever. And yeah, I agree.

I just think they're slowly transitioning into one unified platform sooner or later, be it next generation or the one after, and it's obviously gonna be interesting.

Eww, Lego Dragon Quest.

Looks gawjus to me.

Is anyone seriously expecting the PS4 to be healthy next year? I think there's some sort of vicious cycle going on where in order for the PS4 to sell well, there needs to be great exclusive games, but most Japanese publishers realize it's selling too low to release something exclusively on PS4.

PS4/PS3 (or whatever platform) like what others have said make sense. FFXV won't be enough :p

Eww, Lego Dragon Quest.

In 2016 there will probably still be more PS3 users than PS4 ones in Japan, which is where the sales of DQ matter firstmost.

90% migration in the West, sure that's a certainty. Now if the game gets released on both the PS3 and PS4 well both the Japanese and Western market is covered and the issue of overlap isn't that big of deal.

What I was meaning is that PS3 has an installed base of 11m units, but the actual active userbase will be way less in 2016.

Which is why I don't think they will rule out mutilplatform for this game.

Make game on big screen that can still be supported by 3DS. They may go the 3DS DQX route again too although I doubt so.

Edit

Online streaming DQX for those who are unsure.

I don't care if its multiplatform....just give me that next gen DQ rpg :eek:

Being on home console does not necessarily mean being "beautiful and massive". I vastly preferred DQIX over DQVIII, and DS and 3DS remakes were gorgeous, and easily superior to the PS2 game (though being originally released on home consoles). Also, SQEX has proven to be highly capable on handheld platforms, in particular when it came to DQ.

Yeah but a PS4 DQ would be way more beautiful and massive than a 3DS one.

OmegaDL50

Hard to say, DQX was the first DQ to be developed internally. That was probably a spacial case though.

Assuming Horii does reach his deadline / release date of 2016.

How long do we anticipate the game has been in development.

Let's say they started in 2011 or 2012 which means a 4 or 5 year dev cycle.

Would Level 5's project of Wonder Flick conflict with the development of DQ11, even if it's not Level-5 then what other Japanese studio would Armor Project outsource to?

ArtePiazza handled the DS and 3DS versions of the Dragon Quest remakes. so are we confident they will handle a DQ title on either the PS3, Wii-U, or PS4?

Another developer to consider who has been rather quiet and hasn't worked on any console projects for some time is tri-Ace.

It's up in the air who is handling DQ's development. Outside of one game in the entire series (DQX), every single game was outsourced and wasn't handled internally at Square-Enix.

It was always Armor Project plus the outsourcing company (Chunsoft, Heartbeat, ArtePiazza, Level-5) that handled development.

So it depends on who Horii decides to have a working relationship with. With SE on full charge getting FF15 finished and KHIII just starting development under Nomura, I'd say it's likely that DQ is being handled by an outsource company as usual.

Fraxin

Retail price of software would be quite higher if they release console version though.
Wada made a small mention about DQ9's retail price at the investor's meeting back then.

I'm wondering how much Square will charge if DQ11 was on consoles. I remember that FFXIII was pretty expensive when it launched in Japan.

I just heard the quote come up on the Super Best Friendcast...

Horii: Ah, Grand Theft Auto. This was the first game that employed the open world system. Instead of being forced down a certain path they put you in an open world and let you do whatever you want.

Wait what.

Elite_org_cover.jpg

Kinda surprised Horii doesn't remember/know about that, considering he was getting his start in video games at right around that time. He knew what Wizardry and Ultima were back in the 80s!

Top Bottom