• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr Kawashima's Devilish Brain Training |OT| Remember Brain Training? If not...

Shiggy

...it might be time to train your brain again!

h2x1_3ds_drkawashimasb2s1u.jpg

Release Date(s):
EU: April 12, 2013 July 28, 2017 (download size: 5904 blocks / EUR 29.99)
JP: July 28, 2012
NA: February 10, 2013 (released as Brain Age: Concentration Training)

Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo 3DS and 2DS systems
Languages: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch
A free demo is available here.

Overview:
Train your brain to focus in a world filled with distractions in Dr Kawashima's Devilish Brain Training: Can you stay focused?, only for Nintendo 3DS family systems. Tackle over 25 cranial conundrums designed to retrain your mind, test your concentration and push your grey matter to the limit!

Information overload
In a world of constant communication, it’s so easy to get distracted and lose your focus. With computers, smart devices and social media constantly vying for our attention, modern life can be pretty disruptive. The latest entry in the Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training series contains a number of fun challenges that put your concentration to the test.

Delightfully devilish
From following balls in cups to remembering complex shapes, Devilish Training activities are designed to be played for five minutes each day, encouraging you to engage your grey matter, test your ability to focus and train your working memory.

In addition to Devilish Training exercises, you’ll also find a selection of other activities, many of which are designed to give your working memory an efficient workout. Some even make their return from previous titles in the series!

Screenshots:

3ds_kawashimas-diabol6xs4n.png

Links:
Official website
Iwata Asks: Dr Kawashima's Devilish Brain Training

Myriadis

I be honest that title is damn clever, marketing should pick that one up for future releases of there will be any.
Never cared much for brain training though.

Madao

I be honest that title is damn clever, marketing should pick that one up for future releases of there will be any.
Never cared much for brain training though.

i think enough time has passed since this game to know they won't revisit this series anytime soon.

Does this one work? I once read that the original didn't really help with memory and that stuff.

I found it to be very helpful.

It forces you to develop efficient mental shortcuts for quick calculations and to remember sequences. If you keep at it, you'll get better with the puzzles and problems, and they're randomized so there's no muscle memory. For me, being such a lazy fuck who's all about shortcuts (mental or physical), I embraced the diabolical lessons and dogma of Dr Kawashima-san.

Cepheus

I was going to say, I swear this game came out in Japan years ago. How come it didn't come out in Europe until just now?

Ahasverus

It forces you to develop efficient mental shortcuts for quick calculations and to remember sequences. If you keep at it, you'll get better with the puzzles and problems, and they're randomized so there's no muscle memory. For me, being such a lazy fuck who's all about shortcuts (mental or physical), I embraced the diabolical lessons and dogma of Dr Kawashima-san.

No. It doesn't do shit for you. But if you enjoy this type of thing, it's a lot of fun.

Maybe not much, but these games can still be fun to play.

Sounds like we dodged a bullet then :p
I agree the first one was super fun. Interested!

ffvorax

Loved my time with BT the original, but I actually find this less interesting... after that novelty there were a thousand of similar games.

If this really does help you to focus I'll probably pick it up. Anyone able to comment? I worry that you'll just get better through repeated attempts rather than getting better through actual thinking.

I am disappointed with the new boxart however, the original box from 2012 had a banner with

"Train your brain to focus in a world filled with distractions"

which I thought was a great sales pitch.

daTRUballin

Every time I read the name of this game, I always think it says "Dr. Kimishima's Devilish Brain Training" and for a second I always think Nintendo had just made a game about their president lol

That this game is been released in Europe at this stage is something note worthy.

Reason i don't like at as much as it's predecesors is that it doesn't support the 3DS book format like the DS ones. i do understand why this is the case but the 3DS having a motion sensor they could have dynamically turn the effect off when the console is rotated or just give an option in a menu.

Also this games does help mental ability and create shortcuts for quick math calculations.

Rixiden

Neo Member
I'm sure the devil thing will turn off some more heavily religious parents from buying the game for their kids tho. Shame

Aizo

Banned

He already has Dr. at the beginning of his name, so instead of adding -san, you should refer to him as Kawashima-sensei-san-chan-senpai.

RedToad64

I played through this back a few years ago when it was a free Club Nintendo reward (yes, that long ago). It was enjoyable, but having to wait each day for new things to unlock was a pain. In the end, it became a fun little routine.

I can't say if it actually helped with memory, however.

Seventy70

Players: Has this increased your working memory?

I think studies have been done with these kinds of games before and they didn't show any benefit. They can be really fun though.

You'll probably get better at the games themselves, but those skills probably wont carry over to everyday things.

ZeroX03

Banned
Word Buster makes me so furious. Telling me I have damn walking speed. I can't write any faster with the awful handwriting recognition.

Thought I was the only one. Even with the handwriting recognition working, I couldn't get beyond pedestrian. Maybe it's a problem in the localization process? The Japanese version of the minigame would require much less characters to write, and maybe Nintendo simply carried over the rating times without thinking of the much longer words in the western languages.

Top Bottom