• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard Early Preview Thread

Bartski

Gold Member
Confused Jim Carrey GIF

Presentation is great. Created character doesn't match the voice very well. Should have tried to make him look more like Idris Elba or something for this snippet. Gameplay is not Dragon Age at all but looks fun, and the art is way off. I'd be down with the game if it wasn't using the Dragon Age IP.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Wait, was that it? I thought it was going to be 20 minutes long? That wasn't 20 minutes, was it? And most of it was cinematics anyway.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

It looks fine in game play. A step up from Inquisition's pacing.

They literally skipped an entire forest segment in the video to get to the bit where they fight the boss... I'm unsure how that suggests pacing is improved when the video editor is like "this bits too boring cut it"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They literally skipped an entire forest segment in the video to get to the bit where they fight the boss... I'm unsure how that suggests pacing is improved when the video editor is like "this bits too boring cut it"

The pacing for the fights they're showing in the video. Not the pacing of how fast they're navigating through the environments.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Still a full-blown action game rather than the old combat system from Origins I see.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
It looks like an RPG-openworld genre little and unloved brother.

Gameplay is a mishmash, visually it’s PS3/4 crossgen game and the VO and writing is unappealing. And I don’t dig new characters at all.

After the likes of BG3, Rouge Trader, FF7RR and Dragon’s Dogma 2… Dragon Age does look a bit shite, innit?

Humdinger

Gold Member
Observations:

1. Lame dialog. "Hey, Chuckles, hope I'm not interrupting." Damn, that's bad writing.

2. Flashy combat, but it's hard to tell what's happening.

3. Solas flips between sociopathic ("people die, that's what they do") and conscience-stricken ("do you think I'd do this if there were any other alternative?") in less than a minute. Someone doesn't know how to write characters.

4. More than half of this "gameplay reveal" was cutscene.

5. The big challenge here was to knock down the pillar. They make it a big deal. Yet all it took was a few whacks with a sword to a single board, and then a push. Gee, what a big challenge that was...

Stafford

I wanted real-time combat (and it to be fun at that) and this sure seems like it. I really like the art style during gameplay, location looked great too. I really cannot hate on this. They never should have made that first trailer though.

Croga

This looked better then I was expecting from a gameplay standpoint, but while the auto attack animations looked okay, could they have shown more than literally one single skill for the main character for the whole showcase?

Also for a Dragon Age game, the lack of them showing any kind of tactical map or character switching in combat is concerning.

How in the world did they make such a shit trailer the first time around? These deeper dives look so much better???? I was ready to completely discard the idea of playing, but these deeper dives don't look nearly as bad as that first trailer painted it. They need to fire whoever thought that CGI shitfest trailer was a good thing.....

nikos

Looks fun to me, and it's EA so I'll grab a month of EA Play Pro to play it.

Played Inquisition when it released, but not for long. I may go back to try it again. Never finished previous entries either.

Zheph

It looks like an RPG-openworld genre little and unloved brother.

Gameplay is a mishmash, visually it’s PS3/4 crossgen game and the VO and writing is unappealing. And I don’t dig new characters at all.

After the likes of BG3, Rouge Trader, FF7RR and Dragon’s Dogma 2… Dragon Age does look a bit shite, innit?
yeah the active pause made me think of FF7 and yeah...

will wait for reviews/feedbacks

TheStam

Graphics look competent, but the artstyle makes it look like a luxury mobile game. Why is it so colorful. Why do weapons look like happy meal toys. Gameplay doesn't look amazing either, but this is early game, maybe later cooler skills improves things. Hope you can turn off those distracting health bars, might help with the presentation.

Ah well, I will probably still buy it and moan.. unless reviews are awful. But feels a bit like another Andromeda.

Combat looks way better than Dragon's Dogma 2 and this is the very beginning of the game. I wish we got to see more open area hubs, which the game certainly has, but very solid first impression. Still hate the oversaturation of neon purple. Just a terrible color, but I'm sure that is just representative of this one area

That was one big ass skill tree too. I'm sure hands on previews will drop soon.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Gold Member
Looks aight. They need to show way more than that though. Level 1 combat and only showing off one class is a choice.

DAHGAMING

This looks like a soy feast to behold. I will keep an eye on this though, im more intrested in gameplay anyway now days, I expect the soy but hope for the best. Dosnt look like to much strategy going on looks more like a mish mash action rpg but im ok if it plays well, will decide how cheap i pick this up or wait for a gamepass drop 💪💪💪.

Top Bottom