• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XII Development Facing Difficulties Due to Targeting Adult Audience

Draugoth

Gold Member
What kinda of difficulty with adult audience they are facing is what I want to hear and know.

Is that about "modern" adults? You know, the ones that don't have time for anything and therefore demands the game to be played by itself?

How hard is it to make HUGE FUCKIN ANIME TIDDIES?!

I think the game is going on the Ecchi route.

maxresdefault.jpg

Fake

Better not be that. If so all the female characters will be buttoned up with long sleeves and pant suits. I don't think that's it.
Any devs that push for "Modern Audiences™" is asking for trouble.... they will get praise form Twitter and certain review outlets, but the masses of gamers will reject it. Look at new saints row.

Is the only way I seeing this silly argument about 'problem'.

I mean, DQ games have always some kinda of adult themes, so IDK what the problem is about. My only guess is indeed the 'western content' with is clashing with Akira Toriyama group.

Naked Lunch

Ill reserve judgement - but a grimy gritty Dragon Quest never seemed right to me.
I need my DQ with blue Sega skies and color.

Save the grit for Dark Souls.

I would like more of a challenge though - DQ11 was too much of a cakewalk.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
DQ has been around for 50 years using the same formula , so I would imagine taking a different tone for the series would prove to be a definite challenge .

Which has been the most mature DQ so far?

Dragon Quest V ?

VII ?

Last edited:
I don't understand why both FF and DQ have to be targeting the same audience, and I say this as someone who thought FFXVI's change in tone was very welcome.

Power Pro

So, is the same thing happening to DQIII 2dHD? We haven’t heard anything on that in a long time also.
Don't remind me :messenger_loudly_crying: That Nintendo Direct recently got me all excited hearing DQ music, only for it to be a DQ Monsters game, which...I'm sure has it's fans, but come the fuck on...I've been holding off playing DQ3 because they announced that remake.

Also, where is my English localization for Dragon Quest 10 Offline??? Waited so long hoping maybe they'd bring the MMO version over, but when that never did, well an offline version seemed like the ideal time to do it...and it's already come out in Japan, and still no word on an English version.

Last edited:
DQ has been around for 50 years using the same formula , so I would imagine taking a different tone for the series would prove to be a definite challenge .

Which has been the most mature DQ so far?

Dragon Quest V ?

VII ?
Dragon Quest V has a child being enslaved after having their parent killed in front of them. If that is not mature, then I do not know what is.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So the trend repeats itself
20 years we already had this push for „adult“ looking games, and while it brought us games like Zelda TP, it also caused an avalanche of low saturated, brown yellow games with gritty visuals.

kondorBonk

You guys will never let that go, huh?
Its weird anyone ever brings this up in a genuine argument. It looks awful. I get it was a tech demo but its crazy unrealistic bloom, reflections, and particle effects that just looks sloppy. Every surface is a mirror with its roughness down to zero and elements like Fire and water are going haywire in the background like your in the middle of an ocean.

Thank god the people who actually make the games know better and they wont be persuaded to make anything as uninspired as twilight princess again.

Hudo

Its weird anyone ever brings this up in a genuine argument. It looks awful. I get it was a tech demo but its crazy unrealistic bloom, reflections, and particle effects that just looks sloppy. Every surface is a mirror with its roughness down to zero and elements like Fire and water are going haywire in the background like your in the middle of an ocean.

Thank god the people who actually make the games know better and they wont be persuaded to make anything as uninspired as twilight princess again.
I mean there are still old geezers upset with that Zelda tech demo for Gamecube and Wind Waker.

Interfectum

Horii: Mmm, I guess it will take a little while. This time we are making a game directed toward an adult audience*, so we are having a lot of trouble (laughs).

This is all he said? Why are there so many news articles about this.

Elitro

You should watch some 80s end early 90s anime.
Yeah i know, i watched quite a lot of them :)

Hopefully mature characters and nunanced plots become the norm and not the exception, what i saw in the demo for FF16 while not perfect it looks to be in the right path.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This comment doesn't read like usual "development hell" problems. Seems like a light-hearted comment about navigating different challenges.

Top Bottom