• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 | Review Thread

What scores do you think Dragon's Dogma 2 will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 17 3.8%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 121 27.2%
  • 86-89%

Votes: 196 44.0%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 83 18.7%
  • 96-100%

Votes: 18 4.0%

• Total voters

Topher

Gold Member
Mm. Disagree. Imagine if ToTK got an 80, or even a 70. No one would be satisfied with those scores. Or if it scored a 30/40 from Famitsu. Percentage wise, that would be about the same score as a 75 or so on metacritic. That's very good/great, right? There would be carnage.

Doesn't matter if you disagree or not. Reviewers typically all follow the same scale and it is exactly what I said.

Here it is from IGN:

10 - Masterpiece
9 - Amazing
8 - Great
7 - Good
6 - Okay
5 - Mediocre
4 - Bad
3 - Awful
2 - Painful
1 - Unbearable

Anecdotal examples of games that typically score extremely high doesn't change that.

SABRE220

I personally hope its a 90+ knockout but honestly considering how unpolished it looks its probably going to be around 83-86.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I had a fever and now got better

I will be working tomorrow when the reviews drop and when the game releases
:messenger_loudly_crying:
Glad you are better man! I got surgery done just a few days ago (nothing serious) and my biggest concern about it was wondering if I'd miss DD2's launch because of it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Thankfully everything went smooth as butter so I'll be there day 1... once I'm done with work. Just 3 more days!

Welcome back dude. You were missed.
Thanks man! I've missed you all too, glad to be back.

Have to say, even if it was a requested ban, the mods have been quite fast when it came to reactivating my account, so yeah, many thanks mods!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It looks good, but judging from the first 30 or so minutes from the leak, it comes across as more like an expanded remake than a sequel.

Which after all the years can't help but seem a little bit underwhelming.

Not talking about graphics/performance either, if you're familiar with the first game it smacks you in the face with nostalgia from the get-go.

Majukun

curious about this one...I am one of those that tghink the original is overrated, but i currently have some extra cash and if the game is good i might dip

ssringo

I live in New Zealand so I’m already reading the reviews.
Jon Stewart What GIF

GymWolf

It looks good, but judging from the first 30 or so minutes from the leak, it comes across as more like an expanded remake than a sequel.

Which after all the years can't help but seem a little bit underwhelming.

Not talking about graphics/performance either, if you're familiar with the first game it smacks you in the face with nostalgia from the get-go.
People are mad that they didn't included some classes from the dogma mmo and how they have been very safe with the class availables and the splits.

Mystic spearhand seems by far the most interesting new class, the troll class looks fun and fresh but i'm not sure if tricking mobs out of cliffs and just buffing allies (and hoping they are not retarded) can be fun for 100++ hours, hopefully there is more to the class than what meet the eyes.
(I guess that warfarer is gonna be fun for dmc dudes that wanna switch weapons and doing crazy combos but in the end is just a jack of all trades)

I bet that a dlc is already in the work, like 99% sure.

The leaks also say that they already showed most of the enemies in the games so again, not much of an evolution.

The game really feel like dogma 1,5 from the footage more than a dogma 2 with 12 years of accumulated ideas that they they could have added.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The game really feel like dogma 1,5 from the footage more than a dogma 2 with 12 years of accumulated ideas that they they could have added.

I agree, but people said the same thing about Nioh 2 and that game was way more different to its predecessor than it first appeared. So I'm trying to be optimistic that it'll show a similar amount of refinement over the original, even though superficially it really does look like more of the same.

Still horribly torn on whether to play this or Ronin first come the weekend... On the face of it I should do Dogma first as I expect it to be the shorter game (Team Ninja's recent games are extremely content rich) but I'm going to wait for reviews I think.

GymWolf

I agree, but people said the same thing about Nioh 2 and that game was way more different to its predecessor than it first appeared. So I'm trying to be optimistic that it'll show a similar amount of refinement over the original, even though superficially it really does look like more of the same.

Still horribly torn on whether to play this or Ronin first come the weekend... On the face of it I should do Dogma first as I expect it to be the shorter game (Team Ninja's recent games are extremely content rich) but I'm going to wait for reviews I think.
If it can be helpful, a dude on reddit only mainlined the campaign and got 26 hours out of it.
And differemt choices in the game can lock you out from entire areas of the map so i think that the average completition times are gonna be wildly different from person to person, this is a game that you can finish in 25 or 100+ hours.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If it can be helpful, a dude on reddit only mainlined the campaign and got 26 hours out of it.
And differemt choices in the game can lock you out from entire areas of the map so i think that the average completition times are gonna be wildly different from person to person, this is a game that you can finish in 25 or 100+ hours.
Unless I'm mistaken, I think the guy who beat the game that fast got a "bad ending" of sorts and didn't even unlock the post-game stuff.

Still, as far as I know, Itsuno said that for this game they are focusing much more on the side content rather than the main story, so the player can go on adventures on it's own instead of just being handholded through the main quest. If true, I'll like this a lot, since in many open world games you end up going from point A to B following the main quest instead of exploring on your own.

Now, about content... I think we've already seen a lot of new enemies that weren't present in the first game. I just hope there is more than what has been shown in the trailers.

GymWolf

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the guy who beat the game that fast got a "bad ending" of sorts and didn't even unlock the post-game stuff.

Still, as far as I know, Itsuno said that for this game they are focusing much more on the side content rather than the main story, so the player can go on adventures on it's own instead of just being handholded through the main quest. If true, I'll like this a lot, since in many open world games you end up going from point A to B following the main quest instead of exploring on your own.

Now, about content... I think we've already seen a lot of new enemies that weren't present in the first game. I just hope there is more than what has been shown in the trailers.
Isn't that literally every open world game in the market where you can follow the main story or explore on your own while doing sidequests?

I think that majority of people buy open worlds to indulge in sidequest and explore the world, it is one of the major differences compared to non-open world games.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Isn't that literally every open world game in the market where you can follow the main story or explore on your own while doing sidequests?
Yeah I think you are right lol.

To put it in different words: I think they are trying to make the world feel like something along the lines of BOTW or Elden Ring, explore on your own and find your own fun/make your own adventures, rather than something like Skyrim or The Witcher 3, where you have the map full of icons telling you were all the stuff is.

Back when they showed the Sphinx stuff, they commented on how hidden that is and that most players could miss it on their first playthorugh, which is very risky for them but very rewarding for the players. Reminds me of Elden Ring's Volcano Manor or Ranni's questline, good chunks of content that you could miss if you don't explore on your own.

GymWolf

Yeah I think you are right lol.

To put it in different words: I think they are trying to make the world feel like something along the lines of BOTW or Elden Ring, explore on your own and find your own fun/make your own adventures, rather than something like Skyrim or The Witcher 3, where you have the map full of icons telling you were all the stuff is.

Back when they showed the Sphinx stuff, they commented on how hidden that is and that most players could miss it on their first playthorugh, which is very risky for them but very rewarding for the players. Reminds me of Elden Ring's Volcano Manor or Ranni's questline, good chunks of content that you could miss if you don't explore on your own.
Yeah the game should be less hand holdy than your average ubisoft open world, sure.

Not a fan of timed\missable quest that lock you out of entire areas in a game that i hardly gonna replay but some people love that stuff.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Teetering on 89, to 90, to 89 a settling on 88.

Quite a few 10s, heaps of 9s - this is the biggest by far, handful of 8s, couple 7s and 2 weird outlier ones that drag it down - they complain about diversity, only catmen, no dogwomen. No one notices 30fps, maybe 4 out of 90 reviews even mention it. PC port is actually great and is the way to play by a million miles, they don't port stomp this one... (last one is me pure manifesting shit for release lol).

If they take the janky/kinda boring elements out of DDDA (by boring i mean lack of much meaning full discovery for how much walking is done), then this'll be a 9.5 for me: I bloody love Dragon's Dogma.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So many long games coming out in quick succession, that it's been hard keeping up. I really wanna play this, but I might wait a few months so I can clear out my current queue of games.

TintoConCasera

Not a fan of timed\missable quest that lock you out of entire areas in a game that i hardly gonna replay but some people love that stuff.
They already confirmed those timed quests from DD1 are still in, so good luck! :goog_relieved:

and yeah, I get how this can be annoying to some. I kinda like it, gives me reasons to go back to and replay games I like, kinda like The Witcher 2's 2nd act.

Mr Branding

Realistically, does this have any chance to work on Steam Deck? I kinda play everything on that being a father of 2 and all that. My alternative would be Ps5.

Belthazar

I'm a bit worried this will just be 99% action without much of a story and questing.

It seems like a "make your own adventure" kind of game from the previews, with a very dynamic world that will allow for many different things to happen while you go from point a to point b. But outside of that it's seemingly pretty light on story.

Belthazar

I think that majority of people buy open worlds to indulge in sidequest and explore the world, it is one of the major differences compared to non-open world games.

The difference in this one is that there's won't be waypoints or quest markers telling you where to go. From previews, how it works is that you have to talk to the npcs and remember the directions they give you so you know where to go.

Kinda like early Dragon Quest games, if you ever played those.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The difference in this one is that there's won't be waypoints or quest markers telling you where to go. From previews, how it works is that you have to talk to the npcs and remember the directions they give you so you know where to go.

Kinda like early Dragon Quest games, if you ever played those.

I think that avatar did that aswell recently, just vague info on where to go and you have to actually look for clues.

Little Mac

2 hours and 40 minutes until reviews. I thought Helldivers 2 was going to be an average at best and it's like the most fun I've had in recent years. Thought Rise of the Ronin was going to stink and evidently Famitsu gave it a 37/40. Dragons Dogma 2 looks like an 80 to me meaning it will probably end up being GotY.

Prepare Get Ready GIF by STARZ

Last edited:

Psychostar

Realistically, does this have any chance to work on Steam Deck? I kinda play everything on that being a father of 2 and all that. My alternative would be Ps5.
Hey man, I feel you!

Are you aware that you can stream stuff from your own devices to the Deck? I have a similar situation where it tends to be easier to play on my Steam Deck and since I have a gaming PC and also a PS5, I just looked into applications that let me do that and it works wonders, honestly!! Strongly recommend that you look into 'Chiaki 4 deck' . It's not difficult to set up and it lets you play ps5 games better than the official PS remoteplay app (60fps 1080p as opposed to the official 720p 30fps provided by sony). If you have a gaming pc, look into Moonlight + Sunshine combo (moonlight app on the deck and sunshine on the gaming pc). If you have a 5g wifi network, you won't even notice you are streaming the games. Just be sure that your ps5 is connected to your modem/router via ethernet cable. The best part about all this is that your games will run better since the deck is just hosting, and your battery life will be extended by an extra 3 hours lol. Thank me later xD

Top Bottom