• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams demo out!

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
And it's on sale right now! What do you think about Dreams after two and a half months later? I feel like no one talks about it.

Update after playing demo: Unfortunately, it does not provide access to development materials. There is that very famous Godzilla-like game in it atm, which is very cool. Piano game is good too, very original idea., could be better with more songs. Intro section of "Art's dream", think about it as a technology demo made by "Media Molecul", is available too.

It looks like they will rotationaly change which games will be available for demo players.

Motion controls using gyro sensor in DS4 is the main controller choice, which is awesome(you can use sticks too).

I'm still not sure whether to buy this game after the demo. I was curios about that creative part but couldn't get a taste of it. There should be like 15 minutes time limited mode or something.

Last edited:
And it's on sale right now! What do you think about Dreams after two and a half months later? I feel like no one talks about it.

Recently I read in one of the related threads on here that the playerbase is dead. If that’s true, it’s a shame. Seemed like tremendous potential.

I‘m really naive with this stuff, can someone ELI5 why they couldn’t let people monetize their creations? If they made it so people could even just charge a dollar, and it met a requirement of being an actual game and not just a quick upload of no real content, wouldn’t the game be thriving? If 500k played dreams, and you could get 10k downloads at a dollar a piece for a decent upload, I could see people using Dreams nonstop, make a living off it.

Arachnid

Still really fun. It's cool to boot it up sometimes and play a couple of bite sized stories other people made. They can get really creative, and IMO Dreams is more than worth the money.

Jesb

Recently I read in one of the related threads on here that the playerbase is dead. If that’s true, it’s a shame. Seemed like tremendous potential.

I‘m really naive with this stuff, can someone ELI5 why they couldn’t let people monetize their creations? If they made it so people could even just charge a dollar, and it met a requirement of being an actual game and not just a quick upload of no real content, wouldn’t the game be thriving? If 500k played dreams, and you could get 10k downloads at a dollar a piece for a decent upload, I could see people using Dreams nonstop, make a living off it.

I agree with this. Why not reward these creative people on there. This is not your standard level building, people are spending a lot of their time to build an actual game or some what of a functional game or decent sized level.

Shakka43

At the end of the day I think the game is missing the charm that a mascot like Sackboi brought to LBP. I bought the game during early access but haven't feel like playing it ever since the first day i got it.

Miles708

Is it me, or the demo doesn't let you try any editor?
What the heck? :messenger_confused: That's the only thing I wanted to try.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
At the end of the day I think the game is missing the charm that a mascot like Sackboi brought to LBP. I bought the game during early access but haven't feel like playing it ever since the first day i got it.
I think the most important feature of "Little Big Planet" was that it was a fun platform game right out of the box specific to Playstation, with optional user contents to play(like Mario Maker of Playstation). You could still have fun without any user content; it was not necessary to have fun.

In "Dreams", user content is in the core. And everyone seems to pursue to make their own "AAA"/"Dream" game. It reminds me this. There is a game engine called "Construct". With that engine, you can publish your games on their site, and there are tons of shitty games like yours. There are some good ones too, for sure, but still... I think that "Dreams" is proceeding the same way.

I hope this demo change my mind.

I agree with this. Why not reward these creative people on there. This is not your standard level building, people are spending a lot of their time to build an actual game or some what of a functional game or decent sized level.

I think they are working on it. You can check this; https://www.gamesradar.com/dreams-is-testing-out-a-way-for-users-to-export-and-sell-their-creations/

Zambatoh

No the player-base is not dead. I see new assets and other projects being made all the time.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Don't have the time or patience to create on there...but I would like to play some of the creations. Anybody mind posting some recommendations?

Moogle11

Banned

I enjoy it. Fun checking out the crazy stuff people are making every now and then. I'm not very creative myself, but have had some fun messing around with the tutorials and imp quests. It's not really a game that is going to generate enough discussion, and an OT would just be people sharing things they made or things they liked. Just not a traffic here of people actually playing games instead of bitching about the game industry or doing console wars to keep that type of OT on the front page. Hell, even Mario Maker 2's OT rarely rises and that game sold a lot more.

Psykodad

Banned

I think the corona situation plays a large part in the current state of the community.

And I think a lot of people are working on projects low-key.
The best things take a lot of time. Like, a lot.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Hostile_18

Banned
I played the demo its.. alright? Like if I was a kid and I couldnt afford many games or I absolutely loved user creation content it would be an amazing.

But dosnt make me want to play it at the expense of the amazing games I play today unfortunately.

Compsiox

Banned
As someone who used to play Roblox a ton when I was younger I can't bring myself to even try this game. Roblox is free and even offered more freedom 10 years ago than this game does now.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
it's the best game you can buy to play shitty copies of good games

-edit- great stoner game tho

Last edited:

Zambatoh

Honestly I'm surprised they even bothered with a demo at all. The "Art's Dream" segment is already a very short 2-hour tech demo in itself. The actual "game" part is really just the toolkit itself and the browser menu. And the tutorial videos and imp quests.

Last edited:

Shmunter

While I’m guilty myself of not picking this up yet due to end of gen backlog nightmare on elm street, the value proposition is there.

Upcoming VR and imminent PS5 upgrade!

Rodolink

hmm I also am hesitant with this since the early access, I mean making games is hard enough, better to learn to do them in a way that would give you more opportunities than just for playing.
As game designer not sure if they'll take me seriously in an interview "hey look at the things I did in Dreams" opposed as hey look at what we did on this game jam collaboratively.
so in the end not really worth to spend the time learning something like this. They should open it as an actual engine for PC.

LBP featured a recognizable mascot that was much easier to promote and push so people could be aware of it. It also had a good marketing campaign.

The reason why Dreams "feels" dead and why nobody talks about it is because the product has not been nearly as properly managed by the developers as it should have been. Besides the fact that it's exclusive on one closed system, the marketing for it has been abysmal so the awareness of its existence and what exactly it is meant to be is extremely small. For example, as this is a beginner's toolkit why not incentivize people to create good content and create positive word of mouth through contests backed by the developers and/or Sony.

Collin

Banned
I got it day one because I’m a creative dork. Unfortunately, I found game maker toolkit really tough to use and control. It’s also incredibly complicated, which in some ways is a good thing because it gives you so much creative freedom, but it does NOT do a good job explaining how to use it. I got overwhelmed with it real quickly.

As for the stuff other people have made, some of it’s fucking impressive. My first night just trying random stuff was a blast. But a lot of it is total garbage (probably a good 80%) and it seems like very few creators have been able to make a third person character not control like a noodly pile of shit.

Last edited:

scalman

What if i dont wanna create but just to play what others made there, demo wont allow that? Used lbp just for that never made anything there

Goncas2

What if i dont wanna create but just to play what others made there, demo wont allow that? Used lbp just for that never made anything there

You can play a few hand-picked user creations, and also play Art's Dream (Media Molecule's 2 hour campaign).

Last edited:
Top Bottom