• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universo Nintendo: "Metroid Prime 4 is in a very advance state of development, Nintendo is currently carrying quality tests,

Shut0wen

Been waiting for this one a very long time.

Have there been any rumors on Prime 2/3 coming for HD remaster/remakes?
It was rumoured the whole trilogy has been done for a very long time, i mean thousand doors has been rumoured to be completed in 2022 so hopefully they shadow drop at least one game soon

Nothing quite newsworthy. This is just an amalgamation of various people noticing things on Linkedin and that Next-Gen Dreams company's website.

But given that it's 2024 and Metroid Prime 4 rebooted development a full 5 calendar years ago, we are certainly very close I have to imagine. Like 6-9 months away, at the most. At this point I think if anything it'll be held for the Switch successor launch and be cross-gen, since there's no new Zelda this go around since ToTK just launched 9 months ago.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nintendo has a habit of making Zelda a system bridging game.

I have a feeling they'll be doing it this time with Metroid Prime.

What better way to show off a new system's power than an fps style game that directly compares to its earlier version with higher resolution and framerate.

Bank on it.

They don't really have a "habit" of doing that at all. Many seem to believe they do, but it has happened exactly twice: Twilight Princess (GCN + Wii) and Breath of the Wild (Wii U + Switch). That's it. No other Zelda game (or any other Nintendo game at all that I can think of) has ever bridged two systems like that (not counting later ports/remasters).

But yes, it may very well happen with MP4. That would mean it's not super ambitious technologically though. It worked well for those two games I mentioned because the Wii was just a slightly upclocked GameCube and the Switch is just a bit more powerful than the Wii U. Both were "sidegrades" more than upgrades. The Switch 2 will hopefully be quite the leap from the current one.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

They don't really have a "habit" of doing that at all. Many seem to believe they do, but it has happened exactly twice: Twilight Princess (GCN + Wii) and Breath of the Wild (Wii U + Switch). That's it. No other Zelda game (or any other Nintendo game at all that I can think of) has ever bridged two systems like that (not counting later ports/remasters).

But yes, it may very well happen with MP4. That would mean it's not super ambitious technologically though. It worked well for those two games I mentioned because the Wii was just a slightly upclocked GameCube and the Switch is just a bit more powerful than the Wii U. Both were "sidegrades" more than upgrades. The Switch 2 will hopefully be quite the leap from the current one.

I guess.. I don't see Switch 2 as being a huge leap, much in the way that graphics after the 360 era weren't a huge leap. It seems to be an industry trend to have an iterative or cross gen game to highlight the advantages of the upgraded hardware though. Something like Cyberpunk 2077 comes to mind.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I guess.. I don't see Switch 2 as being a huge leap, much in the way that graphics after the 360 era weren't a huge leap. It seems to be an industry trend to have an iterative or cross gen game to highlight the advantages of the upgraded hardware though. Something like Cyberpunk 2077 comes to mind.

Not sure that's a good example given what an absolute disaster it was on last-gen hardware. And it didn't have a proper native next-gen version for quite some time either.

gamer82

currenlty playing prime remasterd first game in the prime series i've played but man the gryo controlls for me are so jank. i've tried with joycon and a new pro controller. somtimes it just goes crazy and i've tried various setting on it and recalibrating. Anyone whos played it can recommend settings post some pics . i find that lockon a pain even with gyro it gets so crazy when you have multiple enimes coming at you if i triy with stick its just not presie to aim . i'm enjoyng the game but i feel controlls could be better even with twin sticks it feels abit weird snd not so accurate any help with settings would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Kabelly

currenlty playing prime remasterd first game in the prime series i've played but man the gryo controlls for me are so jank. i've tried with joycon and a new pro controller. somtimes it just goes crazy and i've tried various setting on it and recalibrating. Anyone whos played it can recommend settings post some pics . i find that lockon a pain even with gyro it gets so crazy when you have multiple enimes coming at you if i triy with stick its just not presie to aim . i'm enjoyng the game but i feel controlls could be better even with twin sticks it feels abit weird snd not so accurate any help with settings would be appreciated.
there's a setting that lets you use the stick and the gyro simultaneously. i thought the gyro was bunk when it launched as well not realizing they had that setting. turn it on and you'll feel the difference. way more smooth and accurate.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It's also noteworthy that in those situations it wasn't their original plan and they adapted due to unforeseen circumstance. That means it's not their habit, but it also means the same set of conditions applies to MP4 with its troubled development that took too long.

Calverz

suit heels GIF

Ready

I still cannot fathom why Nintendo went with Bandai Namco first for Metroid Prime 4.

The speculation was that there was some internal angst at Nintendo over the fact that the Prime series (American devs) did so much better than Other M (Japanese devs), but I haven't seen anything supporting that theory other than the fact that they initially went with another Japanese dev for Prime 4.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
The speculation was that there was some internal angst at Nintendo over the fact that the Prime series (American devs) did so much better than Other M (Japanese devs), but I haven't seen anything supporting that theory other than the fact that they initially went with another Japanese dev for Prime 4.

Baka Gaijins outclassed glorious Nippon amirite ?

For what it's worth, I actually played Other M and didn't cry about the "baby", lore "inconsistencies" (Nintendo lore lol amirite ?) and Samus's "wrong" characterization and you know what ? it was a damn good action game, at least it didn't put me to sleep like Prime 2 (1 was amazing though, didn't play the 3rd one)

amigastar

Let me dream: Switch 2 will feature glasses free (optional) 3D screen and Metroid 4 will benefit heavily from it.

youtube dreaming GIF
Nah, they should keep that for a new 3ds successor. again with two screens. I love the 3ds.
Anyways i'm really curious about Metroid Prime 4.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Hopefully Retro is still good even after all this time, I REALLY loved Tropical Freeze.
Technically, it seems like they're up to par if the remake is anything to go by. In terms of 3D Metroid game design, I guess it's unknown, but man I hope so.

I don't want an open world per se, because I love the Metroidvania structure of exploring and gradually unocking powers that give you better access to the map, but I'd love to see them blow the lid off the series and the genre in the same way Prime did for Super Metroid.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Technically, it seems like they're up to par if the remake is anything to go by. In terms of 3D Metroid game design, I guess it's unknown, but man I hope so.

I don't want an open world per se, because I love the Metroidvania structure of exploring and gradually unocking powers that give you better access to the map, but I'd love to see them blow the lid off the series and the genre in the same way Prime did for Super Metroid.

Exactly! In this day-and-age, that would actually be a breath of fresh air. It's like that Pearl Jam lyric, "I change by not changing at all."

Baka Gaijins outclassed glorious Nippon amirite ?

For what it's worth, I actually played Other M and didn't cry about the "baby", lore "inconsistencies" (Nintendo lore lol amirite ?) and Samus's "wrong" characterization and you know what ? it was a damn good action game, at least it didn't put me to sleep like Prime 2 (1 was amazing though, didn't play the 3rd one)

Other M's narrative and portrayal of Samus are a mess, but yes, gameplay-wise it's actually really good outside of the "slow walk" sections and the weird pixel hunt bits.

My guess is they will precisely NOT do cross platform for Switch 2, Wii had the motion controls, Switch had the portability, but if Switch 2 is just "the Switch but with better graphics" then having a cross platform game will hurt it, it'll be an exclusive showcase that's needed for the "wow" factor to convince people to upgrade.

My guess is Prime 4 probably started life as a Switch game but has long been for Switch 2, very likely will be a launch game.

Other M's narrative and portrayal of Samus are a mess, but yes, gameplay-wise it's actually really good outside of the "slow walk" sections and the weird pixel hunt bits.
Was it though? I feel like the game was an early victim of people's bizarre shifts in attitudes over "muh women in video games"

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ok,
Nah, they should keep that for a new 3ds successor. again with two screens. I love the 3ds.
Think Switch and think about dual screens you can detach and hand the screen to another player and they can play (not sure if the console would have two equal sets of inputs how it would handle shoulder buttons, etc…. It they could find a way.

One of the two screens, clamshell mode, would be the glasses-free 3D one.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Metroid series is still my favourite. Yesterday I started Return of the Samus and it's beyond incredible.
Let me dream: Switch 2 will feature glasses free (optional) 3D screen and Metroid 4 will benefit heavily from it.

youtube dreaming GIF
That's my dream too! 3D with OLED technology will be killer.

Nah they shouldn't. 3D is experienced better with a bigger screen, and the 3Ds screens were tiny because of it being a dual screen. Gimme 1 big 3D screen please, and thank you very much Nintendo :). Would be nice if they have some auto patch as well that can render all current Switch games to 3D as well when it releases. Now that would be something completely awesome.

Was it though? I feel like the game was an early victim of people's bizarre shifts in attitudes over "muh women in video games"

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? I can't speak for everyone, but my problem with Samus in Other M has little to do with her gender and far more to do with how wildly divergent it is from her portrayal in every previous game she was in. Nothing in those games would remotely suggest that Samus would ever cower in fear of an enemy, or that she would be so emotionally dependent on the approval of another person, but the writers of Other M apparently thought otherwise.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
There are probably people who got hyped at the announcement trailer, got married, had children, totaled their car and were legally dead for five minutes coding on the table, got home and wrote a New York Times best seller autobiography and they're getting PISSED @ Nintendo

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I believe it. It has been FIVE years since the reboot, and we don't even have a proper teaser. It's gotta be soon. Either that or something went terribly wrong .

zokie

I love this song during the good old days in neogaf forum in the 2000s , especially when someone claims to have a new corocoro scan for new pokemon games

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Switch 1 sold, ready for switch 2 with backwards compatibility this fall. This gsme would be an amazing start. Nintendo please make it more powerfull than my 2020 phone......I will gladly pay more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom